Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > has anyone ever gotten the sad ipod icon?

has anyone ever gotten the sad ipod icon?
ghostgrrl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2005, 12:36 AM

I had posted this question in another ipod forum. had gotten a couple of replies, but unfortunately, they gave me apple support links that I had already gone through. so I decided to post here to see if anyone here has experienced this before and what your outcome was. in short this is what happened today:

I went to go charge my two week old ipod mini via usb cable to my powerbook, it started to charge, but I noticed it didn't mount on my desktop the way it usually did. unplugged the ipod from cable, did a reset, plugged it back into the powerbook and all was fine again. later, I wanted to copy a song from itunes to the ipod and when I did, I got the spinning beach ball and it locked up itunes. did a force quit only to find out that my finder was freezing as well. so when I relaunched the finder, I did a restart on my powerbook. after I did so, I looked at the ipod display and got the sad ipod icon. I've looked through some apple support links and it seems that one of the things I need to try is to put the ipod in disk mode, but I have no power adapter and can't get my hands on one until tomorrow.

I'd like to know whether anyone here has ever gotten this sad ipod icon and whether they were able to get their ipod back to working again without having to send it in for repairs (via putting the ipod on disk mode or by another means). I've heard of this icon happening after a drop, but not like the above circumstance.

thanks in advance for any feedback on this!
12" PowerBook 1.5gHz/100gb hd/SD/1.25 gb RAM

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2005, 12:33 PM

I've gotten it before, twice. Once after dropping it and once out of the blue. In both cases, it was a terminal event. I had to have it sent back and replaced. Since you are still under warranty I would just call Apple support and arrange for repair/replacement. Hope this helps.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

ghostgrrl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by mgehman:
I've gotten it before, twice. Once after dropping it and once out of the blue. In both cases, it was a terminal event. I had to have it sent back and replaced. Since you are still under warranty I would just call Apple support and arrange for repair/replacement. Hope this helps.

wow, that doesn't sound too promising. still have yet to get the adapter to try to put the thing in disk mode. in your case, did you try that fix first before sending it in? putting the ipod in disk mode and trying to revive it that way?

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2005, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by ghostgrrl:
wow, that doesn't sound too promising. still have yet to get the adapter to try to put the thing in disk mode. in your case, did you try that fix first before sending it in? putting the ipod in disk mode and trying to revive it that way?
Yeah I tried. I also took one of them to an Apple Store and they tried. Apparently from what they told me is that the sad iPod many times is a hardware failure
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2005, 03:05 PM

I recently got a sad iPod on my two-week-old iPod mini. I took it to the Apple store, where the "genius" claimed that he had never seen that error before. Since it was only two weeks old, I got it replaced as defective.

ghostgrrl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Phoible:
I recently got a sad iPod on my two-week-old iPod mini. I took it to the Apple store, where the "genius" claimed that he had never seen that error before. Since it was only two weeks old, I got it replaced as defective.
thanks so much to mgehman and Phoible for your input. I really appreciate it. at least now I know not to get my hopes up trying to breathe life into my little mini, but I'm gonna give it a go as a last ditch attempt. I'm on my way out to buy an ipod adapter.

Phoible, can you tell me if yours happened "out of the blue" like mgehman had noted happened in one of the two occasions the sad ipod was seen? or did it have weird symptoms like mine before the icon appeared? just want to know what to look for in the future, if this one does get replaced.

well, I guess there is the consolation that at least this happened early where I hadn't put very many tunes in there just yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules