Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Extraneous working Hard drive

Extraneous working Hard drive
irockdabari
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 06:57 PM

OK

my 160 GB AcomData FireWire 400 external HD is doing something weird. Every few minutes it will "work" just for a few seconds. I don't know what is causing it to do this. It even does it when I use iTunes (my entire iTunes library is on my external HD) and sometimes interrupts my music.

it is attatched to my iMac G4 800 256 MB of RAM.

anyone have any ideas?
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

irockdabari  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2006, 06:38 PM

nobody knows?
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

hickey
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 06:52 PM

maybe some more details will get responses. what do you mean by "work"? does the drive spin every couple of minutes and then go back into a state of rest? etc.

rparke1
Banned
Jan 21, 2006, 06:59 PM

get more ram for the g4 to start off. the more ram the better. the "working" for a few seconds and than off is just it going to sleep until it is needed. anyone else want to verify?

irockdabari  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2006, 11:47 PM

The hard drive nevr stops spinning until I eject it. What I mean by working, is that it makes the usual HD noise as thought it is being used by some program. For instance, if you copy a large file to an external HD, it will make the usual HD noise as it writes to the disk. This is the noise I am talking about. I don't know what is causing it to make this noise, because It will do this even when my computer is Idle. It also does it when i play my iTunes, and can interupt a song that I am playing because the drive is being accessed.

If i can give any more information, please let me know. I hope this isn't a serious problem with my drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules