Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Sudden Shutdown

MacBook Sudden Shutdown (Page 4)
iamwiz82
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 09:00 AM

So has anyone confirmed if it's a wire that is shorting? I'd love to open it up and fix it myself, but i'm not going to void my warranty for nothing.

rmansfield
Sep 19, 2006, 09:22 AM

I spent about three hours in a Mac shop yesterday (for an issue with my PowerBook) and I overheard one of the techs say that there was a wire going to the heatsink that was too short and as it heated up, it was touching something else (sorry--I don't remember the exact details) and causing the system to short out (and shut down).

They had a VERY LARGE number of MacBooks in that they were working on and quite a few angry customers calling in. Apple was shipping them entire logic board replacements.

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 10:17 AM

** MB REPAIR UPDATE **
I've been on hold for parts since 9/14 (The day Memphis received my MB).
I called this morning 9:30 AM ET and found out I'm on hold for a "New" Thermal Heat Sync. The Apple Care rep. put on some sort of global search thing where they look for parts in places other than the usual in order to hopefully expedite my repair. At this point as long as it's perfect when it comes back I could handle another week (barely!) without the MB.

I've been speaking of a Mac Pro purchase but I'm starting to lean towards the 24" iMac since I'm in the market for a bigger display and the 23" Cinema Display is quite a bit of $ on top of the Mac Pro price (And the 30" is unreasonable). Comments from anyone on this idea? Thanks!

QyRoZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 12:00 PM

Went to my local Mac dealer yesterday, they told me to wait for a firmware update, though I've got a feeling that that won't fix it...

I'm getting pretty fed up with it, it's completely useless by now...

quiklee
Senior User
Sep 19, 2006, 02:14 PM

Daniel ID#41435 told me that the parts came in yesterday, but as I check my status on Apple.com, it still says that my parts are on hold.

Who thinks I should call back and see what's going on? or should i Just wait again and see if they deliver it on time?
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

joebells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 03:20 PM

I have read that the online status isn't updated properly sometimes, people have said they've had their computer sitting in front of them and the status still says pending repair or something similar

joebells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 05:37 PM

But yeah my promised we'll have it back to you monday certainly didn't come true. Its now tuesday and still not here and I called them and they said they didn't know anything.

amru
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2006, 05:51 PM

still part on hold for parts. im glad this isnt my primary machine/

ael719
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2006, 05:11 AM

I checked the status of my machine yesterday after reading that the parts shipment came in. My MacBook repair is complete

The Apple Store called me and told me my MacBook was back, but they were going to open it up and test it to make sure that everything was working fine. I picked up, went home, and downloaded all of the new iTunes updates After restarting, I got a bunch of vertical colored lines.

My first instinct was to reset the PRAM. This worked like a charm! Until I needed to restart again. I had to reset the PRAM a second time. I just installed my 1gig stick of ram and restarted to see if I needed to reset the PRAM again, but everything seems to be in working order.

Any idea what the vertical colored lines mean?

edit: found the answer to my question
http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and...et-pram-every/
( Last edited by ael719; Sep 20, 2006 at 05:29 AM. )
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

ael719
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2006, 05:54 AM

My MacBook is now running a crapload cooler too

I used to get anywhere from 50-70c and now after about a 1 hour of use I'm stuck at around 30c
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2006, 06:19 AM

i called a week before sunday, and the guy said it'd be done by sunday, but i called again and he said they got the heatsink but are still waiting on the logic board, which will hopefully come in next week.

sunday will mark the three-week aniversary of me bringing my computer in, but this is all happening on "Israeli Standard Time," so i'm not too worried about how long it's taking, that's just how it goes.

annoying, though, that at this rate a macbook update will probably come before i get my computer back...

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 10:48 AM

** MB REPAIR UPDATE **
Checked my status this morning 10:46 ET, one day after I called about being "On Hold For Parts" for so long. Today my status is showing "Repair in Progress"!!
I hope that means I'll be getting my MB back in just a few days. Do they seem to overnight them back ot ppl after repair?

Thanks!

joebells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 11:43 AM

my first repair was overnighted back to me.

quiklee
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 01:59 PM

I finally got my macbook back this morning. Let's see how long this lasts.
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 06:23 PM

Enjoy this video. Even at Apple stores the MacBooks randomly shut down:
YouTube - Random Shutdown in the Apple Store

b11051973
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2006, 07:47 AM

Apple has had my MacBook since 9/13. Still says On Hold.

This is the second time they've had it.

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2006, 08:28 AM

I took mine in 9/12 to the Apple store in Indianapolis. Got it back yesterday from Memphis Fed Ex priority overnight. So far so good.

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 08:45 AM

** MB REPAIR UPDATE **
Mine apparently was picked up last night in Memphis and should be here by 10:30 AM ET this morning. I'm blown away with how quickly it went from On Hold to coming back to me after I called and asked why the parts were taking so long (was very nice to those Apple care reps.)

Keeping you posted....
Macbook (white) 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM (repaired RSD issue x1)

24" iMac/MacPro in my future

joebells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 10:03 AM

mac cap did your web status change?

Guy Kuo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2006, 10:43 AM

Wonderful. My replacement MacBook (a week 25 machine) has started having sudden shutdowns after about a month of stable operation. It has now done it three times. Each several minutes after awakening from sleep. Logs show "Previous Shutdown Cause: -72"

I've reset PRAM and going through the usual diagnostics, but this is looking like another random shutdown defect afflicted machine.

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by joebells
mac cap did your web status change?
Yes, my status on the web went from "On Hold" to "Repair in Progress" then to "Return Product Pending (or something similar)". Yesterday afternoon it was at "Return Product..." Then this morning I got an email saying that it shipped so I checked the fed ex tracking and it was scheduled to be delivered this morning.... And I have it now!!! WHOOOOO HOOOO!!!

It's running a few updates for iTunes, QuickTime and FrontRow right now and the HD is running about 10 degrees cooler and the Cores are both running about 40 degrees cooler!!

edit: Actually the HD and Cores are running about the same, they just had to warm up a bit.

Here's what the reapir report has in it:
Replaced the following:
APP-605-0994 SVC, TOP CASE W
APP-603-9857 ASSY, BEZEL, M42
APP-607-0142 ASSY, HEATSINK, M42

Fingers are crossed and I'm super paranoid at this point waiting for a RSD. I'm sure I'll be gun-shot shy for at least a week! I'm going to try to put this puppy through the ringer over the next few days.
( Last edited by mac_cap; Sep 21, 2006 at 11:34 AM. )

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Guy Kuo
Wonderful. My replacement MacBook (a week 25 machine) has started having sudden shutdowns after about a month of stable operation. It has now done it three times. Each several minutes after awakening from sleep. Logs show "Previous Shutdown Cause: -72"

I've reset PRAM and going through the usual diagnostics, but this is looking like another random shutdown defect afflicted machine.
Call Apple Care!

amru
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2006, 04:41 PM

ok cool. mine was shipped yestarday w/ overnight and its out for delivery right now. [they didnt update thier status page i guess becuase according to that repair was completed today and shipped, though fedex recived it yestarday]

edit: just got it back and running updates.. so far so good

this was replaced
APP-607-0142 ASSY, HEATSINK, M42
( Last edited by amru; Sep 21, 2006 at 06:10 PM. )

amru
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2006, 06:30 PM

dangit!! i did the software updates and it asked me to restart which i did.. and its not going past the log in screen. im just getting the beachball forever.. i ended up holding down the power button becuase even the restart or shutdown didnt work \

edit. so after down this about 5times.. i gave up let it sit for like 20 mins.. then i started it again and this time it logged in. then i couldnt do anything else. beachball. i couldnt use any of the apps or dock items.

edt2 ok its back to normal
( Last edited by amru; Sep 21, 2006 at 11:56 PM. )

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2006, 08:35 PM

Has anybody had a successful repair? I'm waiting on mine to be repaired and its not looking good w/ all these failed repairs.

hobycook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 10:43 PM

Just started getting this today. Had it this morning at the office and could not get it started through repeated attempts until I held down the power button until the power light flashed and the firmware beep sounded. Same thing just now when I got home, and same remedy got it going again. I am sure it is going to go south from here though.

hobycook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2006, 12:22 PM

So I just can't be without this machine, or to be more precise, a machine that works. I have all of the system tools and administrative junk for my company (18 servers, two locations) on my laptop. AND, the anguish of getting it back and it not working and sending it back again - all the horror stories I have read about here and elsewhere have caused me to go out and buy another black MB, just a basic store config. Plan is to move the RAM and HD to the new machine and get this one fixed - Apple can have all the time they need UNTIL the new one breaks. I can get away with this as the head of an IT department. Not an ideal solution, but I gotta do something. My corporate Apple rep in Cupertino is going to get a piece of my mind on Monday - he has never once mentioned this issue.

joebells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2006, 01:40 PM

well my machine finally left repair status and went on to return pending this morning, kind of funny as an applecare guy told me thursday that the repair people don't work on saturdays

Frans
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2006, 06:31 AM

My machine is at Apple since the end of August. They're waiting for parts, so I'll probably be waiting for over 1,5 months before my black macbook arrives back home....

Luckily I decided to buy a white Macbook as a temperary replacement, no crashes with this one. It's on sale when my black Macbook arrives....

F
After 18 years of MS-DOS and Windows working very happy on Mac, now on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz - 2Gb memory - 200 Gb HD with a 20 and 23" screen. I've been waiting for the iPhone for quite a while, let's role it out in Europe. Just one wish left for now: a light mac (2-3 pounds) with 8 hours of working time. They can do it... :-)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2006, 06:34 AM

Frans, what week is your white MacBook?

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 09:54 AM

** MB REPAIR UPDATE **
Mine is still going strong as of today, mine came back 9/21/06. The only issue I've seen with this repair is that the far right-hand side of my mousepad button doesn't really click when I press it, I have to pretty much hit the button in the center or to the left of center to get a click out of it. Kind of annoying, I'm just not sure I'm up for another round of repair to get this fixed. Wonder if the Apple store folks can fix this on-site? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
( Last edited by mac_cap; Sep 25, 2006 at 11:50 AM. )

joebells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 10:33 AM

yeah that can probably be repaired in store, mine had the same issue when it came back. I would raise h*ll if they had my laptop since the end of august.

joebells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 11:15 AM

can anybody that sent their computer to Memphis TN give me their Technician ID? Mine has come back after being repaired because of them scratching it, plus the display having those wierd lines and other things and its in even worse shape then what they did the first time.

Somehow I have the same Service Technician ID for both of my repairs so I'm wondering if they maybe just fill in any number or if I did happen to get the same repair technician both times and maybe he took revenge on me for complaining about his shoddy work?

b11051973
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 11:48 AM

I got mine back on Friday(9/22) and they'd had it since 9/13. I has worked all weekend. I REALLY hope it is fixed. I love my MacBook and I don't like having to send it back.

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by joebells
can anybody that sent their computer to Memphis TN give me their Technician ID?
My Tech. ID was 612525

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 11:52 AM

** MB REPAIR UPDATE **
I'm going to bring my MB into the macdoctor - nearby authorized dealer/repair center to have my button issue looked at. (Soft left/right side, no-clickability) - Apple care reps told me to just have it done local for faster service without shipping.

Keeping you up-to-date!

polpo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 12:50 PM

I got mine today; new heatsink, bezel, and top case. Looks like I'm having the same trackpad issues as mac_cap, only it's the left side that's squishy for me.

UltimaLaw
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 01:38 PM

Just got mine back today, 1 week and 2 days gone. New heatsink, bezel, top case, keyboard, trackpad, wrist case part. No trackpad issues or random shut downs yet.
15" Macbook Pro w/ Retina / 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 GB DDR3 Memory / 256 GB SSD / Backlit Keyboard / OSX El Capitan
Apple iPhone 6+ / 64GB (Silver) / Wi-Fi and AT&T LTE / Apple iPad 3rd Generation / 64GB Wi-Fi
New Apple TV 32GB / New Touchpad Remote / Netflix and Entire App Store (TWiT, YouTube, WatchESPN, TV Networks, Etc.)
Apple iPad Pro / 12.9" Retina Touchscreen / A9X Chip / 4-Speaker High-Fidelity Sound / Smart Keyboard Pro / Apple Pencil

joebells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 01:51 PM

thanks mac cap thats what mine was so they probably just put the same service technician ID down for all of them or maybe it refers to the company as a whole but I thought that was what the bear licence number was for. Man I am so peeved, it is now turning on to the funny colored lines again.

I just got a call from apple. The guy said we're going to try and repair it again. I can't believe they won't just replace it.
( Last edited by joebells; Sep 25, 2006 at 02:07 PM. )

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 03:09 PM

joebells - Did you try a PRAM reset? Today after I came back from the MacDoctor I powered my system up and had those damn lines! I freaked! I did a PRAM reset and they were gone.

Oh, they're ordering me another top assy to fix the mousepad button issue also if you look at my top assy it almost looks like it warps to the middle as if a bowling ball was resting on it for a couple days. WTF!? I sort of noticed it after it came back from Memphis but the tech at the MacDoctor confirmed.

This better be my last repair!

At least I can use the MB until the part comes in, that's kind of cool, cause the mousepad button is functional just annoying on the right (oh and slightly on the left, like polpo)

amru
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 03:50 PM

where is the tech ID located joebells. i better use the MB daily for a while and see if im having any problems.

also how come my MB got only a heatsink repair whereas u guys had more like bezel, topcase etc etc. was that because of someother problems u had or wht.

joebells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 05:15 PM

the tech id is located on the applecare service details sheet that comes with your computer when it comes back from repair. I had the discoloration is why the top case was replaced and I think they replace the bezel because the new top case is a bit darker than the old top case so they want them to match.

amru
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 05:22 PM

ahh so then it was a whiteMB. thnks.

since one of the ways to get the MB to shutdown was through terminal.. did anyone try that after getting it fixed?

also if i was to take the MB in to an applestore would they be able to fix the mousepad button [im having this problem also] w/out any problems or appointment.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 11:26 PM

What log do I look in? after for months, mine is starting to do this.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2006, 10:41 AM

no log. just back up your important stuff, bring it in to Apple, and join the club...

chadseld
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2006, 11:25 AM

I sent my macbook in mid Aug, they replaced the logic board and shipped it back to me. The total turn around time was a swift 3 days. However, last night my macbook begain shutting down again. Can anyone confirm a lasting repair? Maybe they needed to replace the heat sink (tks Yakov) rather than the logic board.
( Last edited by chadseld; Sep 26, 2006 at 11:44 AM. )
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2006, 11:27 AM

HOORAY! After 3 1/2 weeks, my computer is finally ready to be picked up in Tel Aviv. They replaced the heatsink (fan) and motherboard, like on everyone else's... I've been in phone contact with the repair guy, who explained that, like with everyone else, there was a delay in getting the new logic board... I'm going to shlep over there tomorrow afternoon (it's about an hour from my digs in Jerusalem) test it out, and hope that the problem's been fixed and won't come back...

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2006, 11:29 AM

hey Chad -- it's "heat sink" -- a.k.a. "fan." save the syncing for your iPod

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 01:58 PM

I guess I'll have to call or send it in, since there's no store for 100 miles of here.

Plus, I'm pretty sure there's a log somewhere.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2006, 02:26 PM

wow, where do you live?

(i wish more people would fill in the "location" field...)

Forum Links
Forum Rules