Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The official Leopard thread

The official Leopard thread (Page 15)
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by JLL View Post
AFAIK they haven't missed a single of the announced release dates
I do remember they missed the 10.0 ship date and instead offered a public Beta.

Lets not even talk about Copland.

JLL
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2007, 09:46 AM

What other dates than March 24, 2001 was announced for Mac OS X?

We are talking dates here and not time frames.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

kick52
Baninated
Mar 28, 2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Yeah, the slider is already grey.
hmm..

i didnt remember it as grey.. nevermind. :-)

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2007, 12:14 AM

Ok, howabout Apple TV and the Intel Xserve?

HAH!
Linkinus is king.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2007, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It basically works, yeah. Can't imagine why it would take them an additional half a year to work out any quirks.
[Link]

It seems it won't! Leopard looks to be on-schedule!

onlyone-jc.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2007, 10:21 PM

Time Machine- Absolutely awesome! Can't wait.
iChat- Tabs hopefully, Screen Sharing, just awesome.
Spaces- Great idea!
Dashboard- Love the website widget option! Dashcode looks awesome too.
Spotlight- Faster, more organized, I'm happy with whatever comes!
64-Bit-

Putting it in that order, I think.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2007, 10:45 PM

kick52:

it's grey for me using 10.4.9

that shell screen saver looks awesome. word of the day??

alex

kick52
Baninated
Mar 31, 2007, 06:08 AM

i'm wondering how the screen-sharing thing in ichat will perform.
VNC is just about useable between my G4 and iBook, with ap extreme.

I tried VNC over the internet with 1mbit broadband, and it just sucked, I could hardly control anything, getting a 5 second lag.

Unless they use some other faster way of doing it.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 31, 2007, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Time Machine- Absolutely awesome! Can't wait.
I won't use it. I like to handle my back ups manually and don't like having lots of space taken up by versions of files I'll never look at.

iChat- Tabs hopefully, Screen Sharing, just awesome.
I use Skype to speak to one relative otherwise I have no use for chat apps. No Yahoo, no MSN, no AOL, no iChat.

Spaces- Great idea!
This could prove useful for me. I could have a desktop for word processing, another for design, another for video. I'll have to see how it performs.

Dashboard- Love the website widget option! Dashcode looks awesome too.
My only use for Dashboard has been to see what time it is in all the major capitals of the world.

Spotlight- Faster, more organized, I'm happy with whatever comes!
I could do with faster Spotlight searching and a better results window.

[quote]64-Bit- /[quote]

I got no 64 bit CPU!

As you can see I'm really hoping Leopard has some good secret stuff because right now I'm probably only upgrading for the sake of upgrading and not because I really need to.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2007, 11:49 AM

Don't forget the final killer feature of Leopard: the ability to use all the Leopard-only apps that will be coming out.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2007, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by ChuckIt
Name two release dates Apple has missed in the past 10 years. I can't think of them.
ChuckIt: You're not going to respond to me? I feel so unloved!

AppleTV and the Intel Xserve

Originally Posted by ChuckIt
Don't forget the final killer feature of Leopard: the ability to use all the Leopard-only apps that will be coming out.
Like Delicious Library 2!
Linkinus is king.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2007, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
Duh, he was obviously talking about software releases. No wonder he doesn't love you.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2007, 02:05 PM

Like Simon said, I was thinking of software release dates. But yes, you are right that those two were delayed.

Like Delicious Library 2!
And Delicious Library 2 Pro.

Actually, a surprising number of developers have announced that they're releasing Leopard-only products. It's really unprecedented. Devs will usually want to keep backwards compatibility for a while until everyone upgrades, but apparently Leopard is big enough for them that they're just making the leap.
Chuck
___

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 07:27 AM

TS is claiming Leopard won't ship until June, and will have some surprises.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 05:13 PM

That's just their way of not admitting they were wrong about Leopard being released in March.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
TS is claiming Leopard won't ship until June, and will have some surprises.
Wow, exactly what I've been saying for three months. Whodathunkit?
Chuck
___

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 05:43 PM

Well, we all know it had some surprises
Linkinus is king.

littlevish
Apr 2, 2007, 10:10 PM

Will all my current programs work with Leopard? Never been through a Mac upgrade before.

xe0
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by littlevish View Post
Will all my current programs work with Leopard? Never been through a Mac upgrade before.
Just ensure you wash your programs before the upgrade. I suggest a hot bubble bath. Light some candles when doing so - then dry them down and install.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2007, 05:16 AM

In other words, yes, generally all apps continue to function perfectly fine after an upgrade.

Howmanoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 01:18 AM

One of the biggest features that I'm hoping and praying for is some kind of DVR functionality in the new version of FrontRow. Apple has got to deliver this before I can get Windows MCE out of my living room. Anyone heard any news/rumors of this kind of feature making it into Leopard??

Thanks!
Howmanoid
Mostly humanoid partly Numanoid

http://www.fasterlightening.com - More interesting tech stuff

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2007, 03:12 AM

EyeTv ?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 10:49 AM

I like the fact that the AppleTV seems to be fairly easy to add to and hack around with. It would be nice if Apple provided an official API for adding plug-ins for things like supporting different formats, adding widgets and various capability, etc. although I'm not sure this would be terribly likely.

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2007, 05:05 PM

Did you know that Leopard is going to run on generic PCs? ie. non-Mac hardware. Shhh. But you heard it here first.

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2007, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by teszeract View Post
Did you know that Leopard is going to run on generic PCs? ie. non-Mac hardware. Shhh. But you heard it here first.
Yeah, and to add to your false rumor, did you know that Apple is going to ship a free copy of Leopard to all Mac users? Of course there's a catch, you have to be.....a Mac user.

anonymac
Baninated
Apr 14, 2007, 11:34 PM

I've been using Mac OS X as my main production operating system since 10.0.0. I think 10.5 shouldn't be rushed out.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2007, 01:56 AM

Looking at the new screenshots, Apple have added a Quicklook button into the Finder now - does anyone else think this is odd if they are planning on introducing a new Finder?

Leopard 9A410 Gallery | 31.jpg

I think I will stop getting my hopes and just assume we will have the same Finder.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2007, 03:32 AM

Apple never said they were releasing a new Finder. The saying goes FTFF, not ReplaceTFF.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2007, 05:52 AM

Yeah I know, I meant a major change in the Finder, like a version upgrade with major changes. FTFF or RTFF, either way, so far it seems quite similar.

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2007, 07:52 PM

Nobody has mentioned this so I will. I hope with many wishes that Leopard gets a new waiting cursor with a more pleasing graphic and animation and not so offensive like the beachball. I hate the beachball. I have a really fast Mac but when the beachball shows up it feels like the computer has given up when it's actually processing.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2007, 08:24 PM

How is a beachball "offensive"?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2007, 08:48 PM

Because where there are beachballs there are half naked women, promiscuity, and beach orgies with people and sea creatures and God knows what else.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2007, 09:07 PM

^
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Because where there are beachballs there are half naked women, promiscuity, and beach orgies with people and sea creatures and God knows what else.
Quoted for Truth.™
Linkinus is king.

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2007, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
How is a beachball "offensive"?
The beachball is annoying to look at when it appears. Most people from the system 7-9 days know what I am talking about. The Macintosh used to use the stopwatch as the waiting cursor which I really liked and at least you knew what was really going on. That colored beachball is annoying in the sense it gives off the impression that the computer has stopped functioning or the app has crashed and it's not at all a pleasure to see rearing it's ugly head.
I would like to see a more pleasing animated cursor of one color (say like black gloss) in the upcoming Leopard release. It's time for the beachball to go away.
Even in Vista Microsoft has moved away from the offensive hourglass and changed to a more pleasing animated glowing cursor.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2007, 03:34 AM

Seriously, the beach ball is annoying because I/O wait is annoying. The type of ball is a cosmetic issue and pretty darn irrelevant. The annoying part is the fundamental issue of disk or network latency. A simple swap of PNGs won't solve that one bit.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
The beachball is annoying to look at when it appears. Most people from the system 7-9 days know what I am talking about. The Macintosh used to use the stopwatch as the waiting cursor which I really liked and at least you knew what was really going on.
They are both really annoying. Your cursor shouldn't really change for any reason as even though the app you are in is "busy" people get the idea the whole OS is locked up and don't know they can switch to another app that will act normally.

To make it worse many apps still have BOTH the watch and Spinning CD icon which is pathetic 7 years after OSX shipped.

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2007, 09:55 PM

Excuse me for sounding a bit sensitive but this thread is titled "The official Leopard Thread" so I was simply stating what I would like to see different in Leopard. My posting wasn't up for debate whether someone is to agree with me or not. Some of the posters here have some really unusual wishes for Leopard but I didn't rebuttal them.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 01:27 PM

Not much discussion on 9A410. I got a chance to tinker around with this thing today and I have to say it does seem solid. I look in the System Profiler and with the exception of TK/Tcl it does not list one beta version of any application, framework, or extension. Does everyone think this version is pretty much going to be what the release looks like or is this not a feature complete build, and lacks the "super secret killer app" that Apple told us about? If not, it seems like its ready for primetime.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2007, 01:51 PM

No offense dark3lf, but I find it funny that people just click on some stuff in the GUI, and as long as it doesn't crash or they don't get any error messages they assume that it is ready for prime time.

There are a *ton* of things that need to be tested in an OS, and I don't think there is anyway we could determine how long it would take Apple to fix many kinds of problems.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by dark3lf View Post
Not much discussion on 9A410. I got a chance to tinker around with this thing today and I have to say it does seem solid. I look in the System Profiler and with the exception of TK/Tcl it does not list one beta version of any application, framework, or extension.
You just broke your NDA.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2007, 03:45 PM

Maybe we should call the whaahhmbulance... I mean, who knows if this guy is telling the truth. Do you know? I mean, if you do, and you've confirmed his comments, you are breaking too, no?

Whatev...

R

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
You just broke your NDA.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
May 3, 2007, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
You just broke your NDA.
Oh I'm sorry charles, I thought I was posting in the double digit official leopard discussion thread on macnn. And I never signed an NDA.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2007, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by G0Ducks View Post
Maybe we should call the whaahhmbulance... I mean, who knows if this guy is telling the truth. Do you know? I mean, if you do, and you've confirmed his comments, you are breaking too, no?
I haven't confirmed anything. I haven't even mentioned whether I've got the Leopard build or not. I simply mentioned that if you've got Leopard, you're under NDA, and you're not supposed to post details of it.

hmurchison2001
Senior User
May 3, 2007, 08:52 PM

You can post details of Leopard that are public and front facing such as what's online at the WWDC pages..err at least that's been the etiquette for quite some time.
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by hmurchison2001 View Post
You can post details of Leopard that are public and front facing such as what's online at the WWDC pages..err at least that's been the etiquette for quite some time.
Those would not include details of 9A410.
Chuck
___

ashrjordan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2007, 01:19 PM

I thought a while back they said leapard has been pushed back to October?
IS it October or still set for June?

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
May 8, 2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ashrjordan View Post
I thought a while back they said leapard has been pushed back to October?
IS it October or still set for June?
October.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

hldan
Mac Elite
May 9, 2007, 06:29 PM

Yes, this is not like Vista, Apple makes upgrading quite simple. I have not had a single OS X app not work and I have been through every upgrade since 2001. If anything you may run across a legacy OS X app that might require an update from the developer but most likely that's not gonna be necessary.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
May 9, 2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
Yes, this is not like Vista, Apple makes upgrading quite simple. I have not had a single OS X app not work and I have been through every upgrade since 2001. If anything you may run across a legacy OS X app that might require an update from the developer but most likely that's not gonna be necessary.
Final Draft 6 wouldn't work on Tiger and BC Software gave no update or reasons why. We had buy or upgrade to version 7. If the same happens again I'll flip a lid.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

Forum Links
Forum Rules