Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > AT&T punishing fanboys with iPhone 3G S Upgrade Pricing

AT&T punishing fanboys with iPhone 3G S Upgrade Pricing
m021478
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2009, 09:55 PM

I just went to the AT&T local store near apartment to pre-order two 32GB iPhone 3G S for myself and my wife...

I was informed that due to the fact that we purchased both of our current 16GB iPhone 3G devices on July 15th, 2008 (about 2 weeks or so after the 3G became available for retail purchase), that my wife and I would be ineligible for the upgrade pricing for the new iPhone 3G S, as it has not yet been a full year since we purchase our phones.

This means that if we wanted to get the new iPhone 3G S right away when it's finally released on June 17th, then my wife and I would have to pay $499 for each phone. They said that we would have to wait until July 15th, 2009 to be eligible for the $299 upgrade pricing for the new iPhones.

So, because of the fact that we waited on longs lines and purchased our new iPhone 3G pretty much straight out of the gates when it was released last summer, we am now being penalized this time around by being requiring to wait one extra month to buy our new iPhone 3G S's ~ that is, unless my wife and I choose to suck it up and pay the full non-upgrade price for two new iPhones, which is an astouning $1,000 ($499 x 2)... yeah, right!!

THIS SUCKS!!

P.S... and please, no one refer me to this Gizmodo article which doesn't really make an ounce of sense......the guy who wrote this article must've been one crack or something, as any person should be considered more than justified for complaining about this completely wacked-out situation.

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2009, 10:22 PM

Umm, this is the cell phone contract, not Apple. AT&T subsidizes the cost of the phone for the 2 year contract.

Absolutely no different than any other phone/cell company pricing/contracts.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2009, 10:55 PM

Enjoy your 3G for another year. If you break your contract to get the S this June, you won't be eligible for the iPhone 3G GT at a generous discount.

Bearsfan34
Jun 12, 2009, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
I just went to the AT&T local store near apartment to pre-order two 32GB iPhone 3G S for myself and my wife...

I was informed that due to the fact that we purchased both of our current 16GB iPhone 3G devices on July 15th, 2008 (about 2 weeks or so after the 3G became available for retail purchase), that my wife and I would be ineligible for the upgrade pricing for the new iPhone 3G S, as it has not yet been a full year since we purchase our phones.

This means that if we wanted to get the new iPhone 3G S right away when it's finally released on June 17th, then my wife and I would have to pay $499 for each phone. They said that we would have to wait until July 15th, 2009 to be eligible for the $299 upgrade pricing for the new iPhones.

So, because of the fact that we waited on longs lines and purchased our new iPhone 3G pretty much straight out of the gates when it was released last summer, we am now being penalized this time around by being requiring to wait one extra month to buy our new iPhone 3G S's ~ that is, unless my wife and I choose to suck it up and pay the full non-upgrade price for two new iPhones, which is an astouning $1,000 ($499 x 2)... yeah, right!!

THIS SUCKS!!

P.S... and please, no one refer me to this Gizmodo article which doesn't really make an ounce of sense......the guy who wrote this article must've been one crack or something, as any person should be considered more than justified for complaining about this completely wacked-out situation.
Hey, I'd be happy you only have to wait ONE YEAR after purchasing your 3G to get subsidized pricing. Both Apple's website and AT&T tell me I'm not eligible for the subsidy until Jan. 13, 2009...and that if I want the 3GS, I'd need to fork over $699 for the 32GB model.

This after I got the original iPhone; upgraded to the 3G in late July 2008; added on my plan with a "Family Talk Plan," costing more money per month; and I STILL don't get subsidized pricing until NEXT YEAR.

Truthfully, I'm not complaining. I'm actually quite happy with my 3G. I checked the prices on both Apple's 'site and AT&T just to see if what I was reading was true, that some iPhone users with similar situations and subscription schedules are getting different info, some get subsidy, some get $499 for a 32GB model, others my situation. It's really not fair for everyone. Yes, contracts are contracts, but why are some apparently not subject to the contractual terms?

I likely won't be upgrading to the 3GS...but it does hack me off though that AT&T crap customer service and lack of readiness for new features continues. Seems like almost every iPhone customer is getting a different answer from AT&T even when it seems like situations are identical or similar. They can't make up their minds. All US mobile carriers suck, but AT&T could possibly be the worst.
-Core i5 MacBook Pro, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; iBook G4 1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM
-5G white iPod 30GB; original U2 iPod 20GB mono; now on 32GB Black iPhone 4
-...oh, and a PC too.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2009, 12:08 AM

This is the same way that every cell phone provider in the US treats their customers, regardless of the phone in question. It just gets more publicity when the iPhone is involved.

I can understand that the cost of the phone is subsidized through a two-year contract. That's fine. However, that should mean that a phone is unlocked at the end of the contract, since it's essentially paid off. This is still not the case, which is total BS.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2009, 03:19 AM

Geez, people, we need more threads about how AT&T sucks.

And to the OP: easy solution: quit being a fanboi

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2009, 04:30 AM

So you've been using the iPhone 3G for nigh a year, and it's killing you to have to keep using it for another four weeks?

Geez, that phone must *really* suck!

My condolences - most of us have had really shitty phones, too, where we could hardly wait for the contract to expire so we could switch to a decent phone.

So we all know where you're coming from.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 13, 2009, 10:48 AM

The bottom line is that you agreed to the AT&T contract terms when you got your current phones, and those terms include that you are not eligible for an equipment upgrade until some specific length of time has expired. Wait 4 weeks (and avoid crowds at Apple Stores), and then pursue your fanboi ways. Waiting may "suck," but it builds character. Besides, you can see what goofs the rest of us have to stumble through (our own, Apple's and AT&T's) while you're waiting so you can avoid them yourself.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lint Police View Post
Umm, this is the cell phone contract, not Apple. AT&T subsidizes the cost of the phone for the 2 year contract.

Yeah, but... but... oh, hell, I hate Apple!!!!

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2009, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
That article is on the money, btw. An iPhone IS worth a helluva lot more then the subsidized price. So much power, so many features and tools in such a small package. If you can't afford it, don't buy it - just like every other commodity in this world. What you should really do, though, is take a long hard look at the sense of entitlement you're holding on to. What makes you think that you're entitled to a fat discount on a toy (and that's what it is, because you're already holding 98% of the same features in your hand so you can't convince me that it's a necessity)? Where you spoiled endlessly as a child?

We all have to live by the same rules. We all have to balance our bank statements every month. We all have to work for what we have. You're not going to find a lot of sympathy here.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 14, 2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
That article is on the money, btw. An iPhone IS worth a helluva lot more then the subsidized price. So much power, so many features and tools in such a small package.
I just had a friend come over and show off his new toy: an Acer Netbook. Which made me realize that (with iPhone 3.0's added cut/copy/paste anyway), the iPhone is a netbook with a miniature keyboard and a really compact screen. AND a decent cell phone to boot. In a netbook, the computing power of an iPhone 3G would cost you about $300 retail. Then there's the GPS, the phone, etc. In other words, gradient is spot-on about the "value for price" of the iPhone 3G and especially the iPhone 3GS.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2009, 02:01 PM

Why should you get fully subsidized pricing while you're still paying off your last subsidy?

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2009, 02:29 PM

Unless he edited his post, I don't think he is blaming Apple. Since his subject is "AT&T punishing fanboys with iPhone 3G S Upgrade Pricing"

But I do think they might do well offering a middle of the road subsidy pricing. Say if you had 1 year left until you could get the subsidy price, then they could just add 1 year onto your existing remaining term and give you half the subsidy.

Originally Posted by Lint Police View Post

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2009, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Why should you get fully subsidized pricing while you're still paying off your last subsidy?
That's right. Anybody who thinks that they should get a subsidy after another, as many times and as often as they want, walking over us, non iPhone owners, who the subsidy is aimed to, must be suffering delusions of grandeur.

Fanboys are not being punished. Compulsive techno addicted shoppers are being milked, like every addicted shopper should be milked. It's not like they are going to turn away and get a Pre.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
That's right. Anybody who thinks that they should get a subsidy after another, as many times and as often as they want, walking over us, non iPhone owners, who the subsidy is aimed to, must be suffering delusions of grandeur.

Fanboys are not being punished. Compulsive techno addicted shoppers are being milked, like every addicted shopper should be milked. It's not like they are going to turn away and get a Pre.
Love it. Milk away baby, they deserve it!!!!!!!!
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2009, 03:04 PM

The issue is about customer perceptions and appropriate marketing/pricing, not about the obvious, simplistic contract subsidy issue.

<duplicate post from a similar thread>

After coming from Sprint (which really sucks) to the original iPhone I was very happy with AT&T in spite of mediocre coverage in my locality - - until this pricing fiasco. And yes, I get the concept of subsidized contracts (duh), but from a long term customers relationship standpoint this apparent dissing by AT&T of its best customers is NUTS.

Do AT&T managers not have a clue as to how competitive their marketplace is? Or (more likely) are they just looking at short-term revenue and the impact on management salaries? Certainly in the long term any moron should be able to understand how important customer perceptions are.

The 3Gs is a GOOD THING and should have been used to rally existing users, not alienate them! The "gift" of 2.5 months out of 18 is a nice try to dig out of an unnecessary hole, but is woefully inadequate and applies only to a small subset. There are a dozen ways AT&T could have played this upgrade without alienating opinion-leading customers, e.g. SpinCycle's suggestion:
Originally Posted by SpinCycle View Post
...Say if you had 1 year left until you could get the subsidy price, then they could just add 1 year onto your existing remaining term and give you half the subsidy.
Or some other pro-rated calculation.

Tens of thousands of users who previously could have cared less are now lobbying Apple to dump AT&T exclusivity. Whether or not Apple keeps AT&T as exclusive, the change in users' attitudes has cost AT&T millions if not billions of dollars in the overall negotiating relationship alone in addition to long term service provider preference.

Some managers at AT&T badly need to find other employment not involved with live, thinking customers.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jun 18, 2009 at 03:12 PM. )

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Do AT&T managers not have a clue as to how competitive their marketplace is?
I think they are very aware that the other carriers are not competitive at all. They don't have iPhones like AT&T do!

With time, everybody gets a subsidy. You too. It is more than fair.

Giving in to the vociferous iPhone users who don't understand the meaning of a contract would set a dangerous precedent, not worth the good PR toward a few cheap iPhone users.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
The issue is about customer perceptions and appropriate marketing/pricing, not about the obvious, simplistic contract subsidy issue.

<duplicate post from a similar thread>

The 3Gs is a GOOD THING and should have been used to rally existing users, not alienate them! The "gift" of 2.5 months out of 18 is a nice try to dig out of an unnecessary hole, but is woefully inadequate and applies only to a small subset. There are a dozen ways AT&T could have played this upgrade without alienating opinion-leading customers, e.g. SpinCycle's suggestion: Or some other pro-rated calculation.
Originally Posted by SpinCycle
...Say if you had 1 year left until you could get the subsidy price, then they could just add 1 year onto your existing remaining term and give you half the subsidy.
While there's nothing like a good rant, I completely, utterly fail to see your point.

They're offering people an upgrade for the regular new-contract price after their contract has run a full year, right?

In other words, you still haven't paid off your last phone in full, and they're already giving you a new one with the same conditions as somebody who *didn't* buy an iPhone would get?

Please correct me if I read this incorrectly, but wouldn't that mean that non-iPhone 3G owners are getting a worse deal on the 3GS?

Forum Links
Forum Rules