Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hard Drive Wont Spin Down/Sleep

Hard Drive Wont Spin Down/Sleep
SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2002, 11:07 PM

Right now, I am not running anything other than internet explorer that I know of and my hard drive continues to be accessed over and over again. It is not a constant accessing like i am saving or installing something. It is similar to a download writing to the drive periodically. It will come in a steady pace as well. I am on a powerbook so I would like my drive to spin down when not in use to save some battery. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is running or how I can find out what is using my hard drive?

Thanks,
SpinCycle

Cotton
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2002, 05:52 AM

well, are you using your internet connection through dial-up or broadband (on your ethernet port)? if a dial-up connection is on, your computer won't go to sleep.

other than that, if you smash it with a sledge hammer it may spin down...

Forum Links
Forum Rules