Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Crescendo/PCI G4/800 won't install OS X

Crescendo/PCI G4/800 won't install OS X
Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2003, 01:01 AM

Hi!

I just got my Sonnet Crescendo/PCI G4/800 for my Umax S900 w/ Radeon Mac Edition (original one), 528 MB interleaved RAM, Acard ATA/66, Acard UW-SCSI, USB. It installed like a dream and works absolutely perfect (as far as I can tell after three days) except for one problem: I can't install OS X 10.1or 10.2 anymore, the system freezes during the actual installation process (Sonnet PCI X Install as well as XPostFacto). 10.0 installation works, as does installation of 10.1 and 10.2 on my previously installed XLR8 carrierZIF with 450 MHz G3 (running at 440MHz - 55x8). Previously installed systems are running perfectly. I have tried everything I could think of (removing PCI-cards except the SCSI card and Radeon, different CD drives, swapping/deinterleaving/removing RAM), but to no avail. I wouldn't like to return the card just because of this problem, but I'm also not really satisfied with the idea of keeping my old card (and omitting the money I could get for selling it) just for installation processes. I wonder if heat may be the culprit, the cards gets pretty hot in my opinion (especially in comparison to the slightly underclocked G3 I had before), but on the other hand I would be surprised if the installation process was the most processor-intensive task I'm running. Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks!
( Last edited by Taipan; Jan 30, 2003 at 08:08 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules