Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > single 1,25 or dual 867?

single 1,25 or dual 867?
Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2003, 12:19 PM

Hi!

I just recently decided to get myself a Powermac G4 1,25 (single) for 1300�, but now the dual 867 is being offered for 999�, so I'm not sure if I should go for that one. I know you are all pro-dual, and compared with a single 1GHz I would agree to go for the dual, but 1,25MHz is considerably more than 867, probably only slightly less than 2x867. I'm going to use 95% OS X, little OS 9, no video editing (yet), but I love to play a game from time to time. How is dual processing handled in OS X, will all applications use it (since it's handled by the OS itself) or will some (probably games) not use it at all? BTW, will the MDD models currently shipped come with the quieter fans offered in Apple's exchange program, or are they still windtunnel models (without the option to take part in the exchange program, since it has expired by now)? Thanks for your opinions!

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 06:25 PM

I think the Dual 867 for $999 is a great deal - get lots of RAM for the extra $300 and it'll be a lot faster than the stock single 1.25
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 26, 2003, 06:42 PM

For $999: The Dual 867, absolutely no question.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Taipan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2003, 08:12 PM

Hmm, I'm still not quite convinced. Somehow, the 867 seems so....low end ;-)
How much difference will the slower video card and bus make? And I'm still not sure how developped dual processor support in OS X and everyday-apps is. Without decent use of the second cpu the 867 will be too slow, I think.
BTW: The prices I mentioned were �, not $. Usually � prices here in Germany are about 20% higher than $ prices in the US, while 1� is roughly =1$.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 10:10 PM

Recently, I had a SP 933 and a DP 800 (both with maxed RAM) in my home at the same time for a few weeks. I was authoring some DVDs and writing out QuickTimes for Father's Day, became pinched for time, so I used both.

Anyway, the 933 seemed quicker to boot and in the Finder and Safari, just everyday stuff. The DP was much more useable in multi-tasking (batch resizing and renaming 1000 images in GraphicConverter while surfing or playing iTunes). Exporting .movs was much quicker, too (since both processors kick in).

It all depends on what your uses are for it. If your going to use iMovie, iTunes a lot--the DP will really help. I'm a DV hobbyist, and I will always own a DP (something about having two processor meters is a gas).

I realize your speed gap is greater (and I've never worked on any Mac faster than these two for any length of time), but I think they both are about even on average.

Get the DP 867 and max the memory.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

DrBoar
Senior User
Jun 27, 2003, 09:53 AM

With games I would go for the 1.25 but do factor in the graphical card that is included. Most games does not do SMP at all. UT 2003 does it sort of that is that sound managment can be offloaded to the other CPU giving a modest fps boost. Quake III is fully SMP
The latest versions of towers is supposed to be quiter than the wind tunnels but at least the dual 1.25 is still have a loud high pitched drone that I find most irritation. G4/400 and G3/350 both are much quiter with a kind of general whoosing humming sound as opposed to a drone with a distinct pitch.

The price difference of 300 � do get you a lot of RAM and a nice graphcial card. It is a close race I would look on things like how good the graphcial cards are, if it comes with super or combo optical drive and how much of HD and RAM they ship with.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Taipan:
Hmm, I'm still not quite convinced. Somehow, the 867 seems so....low end ;-)
How much difference will the slower video card and bus make? And I'm still not sure how developped dual processor support in OS X and everyday-apps is. Without decent use of the second cpu the 867 will be too slow, I think.
BTW: The prices I mentioned were �, not $. Usually � prices here in Germany are about 20% higher than $ prices in the US, while 1� is roughly =1$.
The DP867 for 999 Euro in Germany????? Where'd you find that? For 999 you should get the DP867, OS X supports SMP and so do most apps for Macintosh. Games don't though.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

Taipan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by DrBoar:
With games I would go for the 1.25 but do factor in the graphical card that is included. Most games does not do SMP at all. UT 2003 does it sort of that is that sound managment can be offloaded to the other CPU giving a modest fps boost. Quake III is fully SMP
The latest versions of towers is supposed to be quiter than the wind tunnels but at least the dual 1.25 is still have a loud high pitched drone that I find most irritation. G4/400 and G3/350 both are much quiter with a kind of general whoosing humming sound as opposed to a drone with a distinct pitch.
Hi!
The Powermacs G4 available now are from the first MDD line, the windtunnel one. But I think there's a good chance the single CPU model will be quiter, and I hope they will have the new fans Apple offered as a replacement option.
I think I will go for the 1,25. It has a better video card, bigger hard drive, faster bus, and I dont think I the apps I'm going to use will make much use of the second cpu.
Thank you guys for your opinions, and sorry for ignoring them (no, I didn't really ignore them, I just set my priorities differently)!

@D'Espice: The 999� offer is at Vobis, but I have just learned that these are display models. Maybe they are already sold out by now.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Taipan:
Hi!
The Powermacs G4 available now are from the first MDD line, the windtunnel one. But I think there's a good chance the single CPU model will be quiter, and I hope they will have the new fans Apple offered as a replacement option.
I think I will go for the 1,25. It has a better video card, bigger hard drive, faster bus, and I dont think I the apps I'm going to use will make much use of the second cpu.
Thank you guys for your opinions, and sorry for ignoring them (no, I didn't really ignore them, I just set my priorities differently)!

@D'Espice: The 999� offer is at Vobis, but I have just learned that these are display models. Maybe they are already sold out by now.
Go ahead - but make sure to check out Gravis and Cyberport, sometimes they have pretty cool specials like the 12" PowerBook for 1599 Euro (including sales tax) or the eMac for 899 Euro

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2003, 01:03 PM

I had a look at Apple Uk's store and they have a dual 1.25ghz for just under �1300, I'm sorely tempted to go for it. It's a toss up between that, or waiting for the 15"PB to be updated. But man, those specs on the PM are perfect for me, could do with a beast like that.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Taipan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by bamburg dunes:

I had a look at Apple Uk's store and they have a dual 1.25ghz for just under �1300, I'm sorely tempted to go for it. It's a toss up between that, or waiting for the 15"PB to be updated. But man, those specs on the PM are perfect for me, could do with a beast like that.
Hmm, how much is the G5 in the UK? If I had the money for the dual 1,25 I'd rather wait for the G5, the 1,6GHz one with a combo drive
doesn't cost much more than the dual 1,25, and I guess it will rather be faster than slower in comparison.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2003, 06:05 AM

We get the short straw over here when it comes to prices for things, everything seems to be more expensive than anywhere else.

The G5 prices here are:

�1549 for the 1.6ghz
�1849 for the 1.8 ghz
�2299 for the dual 2ghz

those are for the pre-built machines and include vat. Might be cheaper to buy abroad, but then there's always the tax and warranty issues.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Forum Links
Forum Rules