Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > on badnarik

on badnarik
gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2004, 09:22 AM

Weird that there's only three threads in the political lounge that even mention Michael Badnarik, let alone discuss the guy a bit.

I've been d/l and watching the Constitution Class torrent and i think it was quite enlightening and interesting to me. Apart that i can recommend the named video which makes enough sense (although i think he has quite an amount of butter on his head on some topics (if that phrase is translatable))

He comes across as decent enough guy, but could someone point to web-pages that will tell me how Badnarik envisions to get out of the supposed 'war on terrorism' stuff?

(Yes i already know that he thinks the war on iraq is unconstitutional, i don't want to know what he thinks of what has happened, i want to know how he proposes to get out)
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by gerbnl:
Weird that there's only three threads in the political lounge that even mention Michael Badnarik, let alone discuss the guy a bit.

I've been d/l and watching the Constitution Class torrent and i think it was quite enlightening and interesting to me. Apart that i can recommend the named video which makes enough sense (although i think he has quite an amount of butter on his head on some topics (if that phrase is translatable))

He comes across as decent enough guy, but could someone point to web-pages that will tell me how Badnarik envisions to get out of the supposed 'war on terrorism' stuff?

(Yes i already know that he thinks the war on iraq is unconstitutional, i don't want to know what he thinks of what has happened, i want to know how he proposes to get out)
I am voting for Badnarik this fall. That said, I don't get the impression that the libertarian party view is to pull out of Iraq, that would be stupid to do at this point. The idea is that we should never have started the war in the 1st place.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2004, 01:16 PM

From this article.
Badnarik believes that the federal income tax has no legal authority and that people are justified in refusing to file a tax return until such time as the IRS provides them with an explanation of its authority to collect the tax. He hadn't filed income tax returns for several years. He moved from California to Texas because of Texas' more liberal gun laws, but he refused to obtain a Texas driver's license because the state requires drivers to provide their fingerprints and Social Security numbers. He has been ticketed several times for driving without a license; sometimes he has gotten off for various technical legal reasons, but on three occasions he has been convicted and paid a fine. He also refused to use postal ZIP codes, seeing them as "federal territories."
He refuses to use ZIP codes? You know, the libertarian party could actually be taken seriously if they weren't ABSOLUTELY INSANE.

Saad
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2004, 01:20 PM

RMS isn't taken seriously, but his movement is.

gerbnl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Saad:
RMS isn't taken seriously, but his movement is.
RMS?
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 03:12 PM

Richard Stallman, of GNU fame.

And really, I'd say he's taken semi-seriously, except on some of the sillier things, such as the GNU/Linux thing.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2004, 04:34 PM

Aaron Russo was actually the better LP presidential candidate. He had funding, he had a clean public record, and he wasn't a whacko on mundane items like zip codes.

Badnarik on the other hand said that there was nothing in his past which would embarrass the LP, and after his nomination it came out that he evaded his taxes and has driven without a driver's license for the past 10+ years. He has since pledged to settle with the IRS, but even if a common LP perception is that taxation is theft of earned property, he shouldn't risk embarrassing the party by breaking the law, rather he should work to get elected and change law.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

gerbnl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2004, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
... and has driven without a driver's license for the past 10+ years.
Hehe, after seeing his Constitution Class i can appreciate his views on the drivers license. Its a good thing if somebody lives up to his believes, even if they are of the kind i'd guffaw about. The least it does is making me believe the guy isn't lying about his believes.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2004, 08:11 PM

heh, I looked up what ZIP stands for.

Zone Improvement Plan.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules