Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Using apple aluminum bluetooth keyboard on Vista/XP

Using apple aluminum bluetooth keyboard on Vista/XP
ports
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2008, 05:02 PM

I'm trying to get the new aluminum bluetooth apple keyboard to work with Vista/XP so i can use it with my media center in my living room.

On Vista I have a kensington bluetooth device, and it will detect the keyboard and pair fine. But the keyboard works like ass. It will skip a bunch of keys, or sometimes I will type a sentence, and it will wait 4-5 seconds, then the whole thing will appear. Or I will hit "e" and get "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee".

On XP, it won't even detect the device.

I've seen some threads saying i need a d-link dbt-120, with rev2 or newer.

Can someone help me make this work?

ports  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2008, 04:19 PM

Any help?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2008, 05:06 PM

Give us more specifics. What computer are you trying to connect to ? A Mac or a PC ? What OS ?

-t

ports  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2008, 05:27 PM

The OS i already stated.. above.
I forgot that Mac's can run Windows now. I'm using a PC.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 11, 2008, 10:38 PM

Have you by chance installed the drivers for that keyboard?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2008, 11:42 PM

What Glenn said.

Besides that, search the Apple Discussion forums. There might be something there.

-t

ports  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2008, 01:26 AM

turtle - Not to be rude, but I will be frank. I have been searching forums. I haven't found a solution yet for this with a kensington bluetooth device. If you have something helpful, please share, otherwise you're just trying to up your post count.

ghporer - I installed the bootcamp.msi, but the applekeyboardinstaller.exe doesn't run on my XP PC. The happytocode.com post i found said it should work on XP 32, but it doesn't. So, yes, drivers for it have been installed. But regardless, why does it not detect, or only detect for a few seconds? The keyboard appears to frequency hop, while my bluetooth device isn't.
( Last edited by ports; Mar 12, 2008 at 01:36 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2008, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by ports View Post
turtle - Not to be rude, but I will be frank. I have been searching forums. I haven't found a solution yet for this with a kensington bluetooth device. If you have something helpful, please share, otherwise you're just trying to up your post count.
WTF, dude ?

If I want to pad my postcount, than for sure not by replying to you.

The reason why I suggested the Apple Discussion forums is because this is a VERY specific problem of PC users that try to use Apple hardware. There are not that many people around here, as most use Apple hardware with Apple hardware.

But anyways, I'm done helping you.

-t

ports  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2008, 04:52 AM

Yay, internet flame war.
Just take a look at your response to my original question from my perspective. I came specifically here to ask a question, and you just told me to go look somewhere else.

It is a very specific problem, but for the most part, the apple discussion forum issues can be solved with "put in new batteries" (large generalization).

I was hoping this community would have some users more familiar with osx,windows, and driver features.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 12, 2008, 09:25 AM

Ummm... DID you look at the Apple discussions? You said you "searched," but not where, and turtle's suggestion is really appropriate. We don't claim to be able to fix every issue, and we especially don't typically repeat details on something that's best covered elsewhere. You didn't get a brush off; turtle made a very appropriate and helpful suggestion, which you reacted poorly to.

So, where HAVE you looked, and what sorts of stuff did you find that didn't help you-that'll narrow down where those of us with any connection to your problem can start looking for something to help you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2008, 12:18 PM

Hi. Googled for Apple Bluetooth Keyboard Windows XP:

The first link has a couple of solutions:
1) Disabling the Windows bluetooth stack/drivers - conflict with 3rd party ones
2) regedit (see bedammit, towards the end of the thread)

Neowin Forums > Help, using Mac Bluetooth Keyboard on PC? (I think this predates the aluminium bluetooth keyboards, but should work as well)

Subsequent search results (including those from Apple's own discussion forums) seemed to reference this solution as well.

So I'd suggest:
1) Uninstalling the bootcamp drivers and whatever other workarounds you've tried

2) Uninstalling your bluetooth drivers (to force Windows to detect the dongle again)

3) If Windows installs the dongle and things still don't work, then install the 3rd party driver and disable the Windows one. (That's of course after doing the device pairing dance each time)

4) Try the regedit workaround

Forum Links
Forum Rules