Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 14)
TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 11:43 AM

How do the Sony-haters deal with this:

http://www.thechannelinsider.com/art.../183209_1.aspx

Sony is the most popular brand in the USA. For the seventh year in a row!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
How do the Sony-haters deal with this:

http://www.thechannelinsider.com/art.../183209_1.aspx

Sony is the most popular brand in the USA. For the seventh year in a row!
And the other day Apple was the most popular brand in the US. Seems to change every day.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Seems to change every day.
Or every 8 years...

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 03:16 PM

Well, it was a different scenario in 2000 when the PS2 launched:
-Nintendo's brilliant marketingh ad deemed the GCN a kiddy console.
-The XBox was the new kid that neither Sony nor Nintendo cared about.
-The PS2 was coming out, hot on the heels of the PS1
-Sega was floundering
-Lets not forget the fake demos and false promices from Sony either. (thats still there today by the way)

Now:
-XB360 is out and past the initial manufacturing hickups
-Nintendo is targeting the mass market with a different type of console.
-XBLive and nintendo WI-FI are up and running....Sony doesnt have anything comparible yet.
-The Wii will cost half (or less than half) of the PS3. The XB360's price will probably be discounted by the time the PS3 hits store shelves.

So looking at the economics of it all.....its quite different from the PS3 launch. And is in my opinion quite an agressive stance from both Micorosft and Nintendo against Sony....and i think they just might do it.

Heck...... ill admit im a nintendo fanboy (since 2002 when i got my first Nintendo console). But judging from what people said about Nintendo's stray after the SNES... it sound a lot like what Sony is doing today (minus the innovation of course). Thats a bad formula.

So far....it appears as though Nintendo ahs teh right formula....but we'll see i guess.

Brand popularity.....meh....big deal.... they make TVs, computers, home consoles, external drives, etc.... what do you expect ? it's a hardly a reflection on their gaming division (although it is the most popular one out there anyway) i just dont see how the 2 are connected.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 13, 2006, 03:18 PM

Wow, sony was just named the #1 brand in the US for the 7th year in a row.

"Hello, what have we here?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 03:27 PM

EA announced 6 games for the Wii, and will be showing Madden today at a conference.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11806

"Once we started to experiment with Madden on Wii, there was an explosion of innovation. Everyone in the studio is energized by the creative opportunity afforded by both the hardware and controller. By reaching into our catalogue, we are able to bring a fresh and distinctive experience to some of EA's most popular franchises. Creatively, the game play possibilities are staggering and endless," said John Schappert, Senior Vice President and General Manager, EA.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
EA announced 6 games for the Wii, and will be showing Madden today at a conference.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11806

So in other words same old games, same old look but now you do it with arms waving.

The madden screenshots look overly complicated.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
So in other words same old games, same old look but now you do it with arms waving.

QFT.

Seriously, who's going to WANT to throw a football after a few hours of doing it?

I'm waiting for the day when people have to buy new controllers because they accidentally threw their controller into the wall.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 03:45 PM

Yeah, that's basically what I think of most of the sports/racing games. But at least on the Wii there will be something different.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2006, 12:08 AM

"This is where I stopped recording: after the tape was turned off and I said, "that's it, thanks".

Phil then said something along the lines of "well those were positive questions", in a vaguely sarcastic tone.

This got me to thinking, does that mean Phil was expecting "nice" questions? Has the situation got so bad that executives are surprised when journalists ask questions that are hard to answer? If "the face of the PS3" is surprised when a blogger asks him a question that goes beyond "uh, so what's your game like?", then you have a very large, and worrying indicator that something, somewhere is going wrong in terms of the relationship between the press and video game companies. If anything, Phil should have been surprised if I wasn't asking tough questions!"

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/13/so...were-arrogant/
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2006, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by starman
QFT.

Seriously, who's going to WANT to throw a football after a few hours of doing it?

I'm waiting for the day when people have to buy new controllers because they accidentally threw their controller into the wall.
QFT

yeah.... whos going to want to play the EXACT same game with better visuals ..... yet again ?

At least with the wii you have a different mechanic as well as better visuals, as opposed to the same game with a new skin. kinda reminds me of all the versions of Windows.... different skins, same old crap.

Oh and...yeah lest we forget the new controller does open the door to new game not possible on the other 2. kind like the DS did. So it wont be the same old genres like the PS3 and XB360 will be confined to...it'll be all those games and all the new types possible only with the Wii.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2006, 12:58 AM

The Wii controller has a strap that goes around your wrist. There will be no controller throwing.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 14, 2006, 05:43 AM

The Wii controller has a strap that goes around your wrist. There will be no controller throwing.
Maybe in your house but I expect to be keeping a cache of Wiimotes at the ready.

I'm just that klutzy.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2006, 09:42 AM

Wow, sony was just named the #1 brand in the US for the 7th year in a row.
You act as though Sony does nothing but games. They were a popular manufacturer of consumer electronics for decades before they ever got into video games, and they remain such to this day.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2006, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
QFT

yeah.... whos going to want to play the EXACT same game with better visuals ..... yet again ?

At least with the wii you have a different mechanic as well as better visuals, as opposed to the same game with a new skin. kinda reminds me of all the versions of Windows.... different skins, same old crap.

Oh and...yeah lest we forget the new controller does open the door to new game not possible on the other 2. kind like the DS did. So it wont be the same old genres like the PS3 and XB360 will be confined to...it'll be all those games and all the new types possible only with the Wii.
Wow, what a completely ignorant and uneducated statement.

First off, Windows is not "different skin, same crap". Win 2K/XP is a completely different under-the-hood architechture than 9x. Everyone knows that.

How can you rag on these games saying "EXACT same game with better visuals"? Are you saying that Madden isn't successful? Or Gran Turismo? Do you think FOR A SECOND that Madden would NOT sell like crazy if it weren't for the Wii controller?

That's just stupid.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2006, 09:50 AM

So let's get this straight...

A second analog stick
A strap

How friggin' "wired" is this wireless controller, anyway?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by starman
Wow, what a completely ignorant and uneducated statement.

First off, Windows is not "different skin, same crap". Win 2K/XP is a completely different under-the-hood architechture than 9x. Everyone knows that.

How can you rag on these games saying "EXACT same game with better visuals"? Are you saying that Madden isn't successful? Or Gran Turismo? Do you think FOR A SECOND that Madden would NOT sell like crazy if it weren't for the Wii controller?

That's just stupid.
ummm no. lol..... with the PS3 and XB360 youll have the exact same genres and sequels you had for the last 2 generations. difference being....better visuals. whoop-dee-****ing-doo.

With the Wii....you can play all the traditional games and genres (remember those GCN controller ports and the classic controller ?), with better visuals as well....but then....you take the Wii's controller....that isnt available on the PS3 or the XB360, and you have all the cool new types of games for that controller as well. (oh and the classic(old) genres can be spiced up IF developers CHOOSE to take advantage of the Wii's controller).

With the PS3 and XB360 you are confined to playing the same game (albiet better visuals) for the next 4-5 years. With the Wii you can play those games (classic genre games) with better visuals AND you'll get the new stuff as well..... and look it....it'll cost less than half of the PS3.

As far as Windows9x vs NT....meh.... big deal...a kernel change..... user experience(end product) enhanced by nothing (similar to PS3/XB360 imo).

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2006, 10:19 AM

ummm no. lol..... with the PS3 and XB360 youll have the exact same genres and sequels you had for the last 2 generations. difference being....better visuals. whoop-dee-****ing-doo.

With the Wii....you can play all the traditional games and genres (remember those GCN controller ports and the classic controller ?), with better visuals as well....but then....you take the Wii's controller....that isnt available on the PS3 or the XB360, and you have all the cool new types of games for that controller as well. (oh and the classic(old) genres can be spiced up IF developers CHOOSE to take advantage of the Wii's controller).

With the PS3 and XB360 you are confined to playing the same game (albiet better visuals) for the next 4-5 years. With the Wii you can play those games (classic genre games) with better visuals AND you'll get the new stuff as well..... and look it....it'll cost less than half of the PS3.

As far as Windows9x vs NT....meh.... big deal...a kernel change..... user experience(end product) enhanced by nothing (similar to PS3/XB360 imo).
umm...no lol. You're dead wrong (well, what else is new..you're a fanboi).

The 360 has a TON of new stuff out now and coming out in the future. Are you saying that Xbox Live on the 360 is something we've seen before? I sure haven't. Maybe Nintendo invented it already lol. You seem to think Nintendo invented everything. FF XII is already being listed as the best RPG of all time, so how is that "the same thing with better graphics"? Sounds more interesting than another Mario port... At least with Square, they change the game every time. With Mario it's jump, run, jump, powerup, jump, run. It's still fun, but I can argue the very same points with you about Mario and Zelda.

I just think that had Nintendo not come up with the Wii controller, you wouldn't be saying all these hurtful things about the PS3/360. And, you seem to forget that the Wii controller could flop as badly as the Virtal Glove. Sure, everyone loved it at E3, but let's be serious, do you REALLY want to play tennis with the thing? Sure, fly fishing is cool, and MAYBE Zelda will work well with it, but I can't see playing Super Mario Brothers with it at all and having the same precision with this contraption. I couldn't imagine Super Mario 64 or Sunshine-type games with is because of the PRECISION you need with it. I might be wrong, but I'm sceptical. You seem to be putting a lot of faith into an untested technology.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jul 14, 2006, 11:32 AM

"Remember when we said that Cell yields were in the toilet? Remember the fanboi brigade with more Internet access than either brains or common sense? They howled that it couldn't be true because their ego is staked on the PS3 that they will someday have. It just can't be happening. Well, we wonder if they will believe IBM Semiconductor VPs?"

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32978

Good thing Apple didn't go with the Cell.
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...1#366007700831

People at Ars are kind of smart. That guy avoids spouting the kind of FUD that the Inq wanted to put out there.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2006, 11:43 AM

Cant argue with you there.... i am an optomist.

And like you i havent actually tried the thing.

The best thing we have to go on now is the testimony of the folks who have used it. And so far....i have yet to find someone who found it unuseable. right ?

Dont focus so much on the controller. it's not the only option on the Wii. And yeah Nintendo didnt invent video games.....but i wonder why Sony suddenly got motion controls in it's controller...it's something worth chuckling at....they have been riding Nintendo's coattails since the PS1, and despite their market share dominance they cant seem to innovate, if anything im pissed off that they cant seem to had they made some real contribution to gaming in the PSP or PS3 i would have loved it. I mean if anything just look at the DS.

But anyway.....Sure XBox Live, 360 and PS3 are *improvements*....but only incremental and almost marginal and definately pedictable. the interface for interactivity is almost unchanged.... it isnt any better or simpler or intuitive. And to answer you question....beleive ito r not ive never played a sports game on any console.....but im honestly looking forward to a baseball game for the Wii. tennis is not my sport, neither is olf. but i think at the very least the Wii's controller is perfect for sports titles and FPSs. the rest ?....well there's the attachments and GCN controllers for that.

Also, ive stated this before.....i sincerely do beleive that this technology is the next generation for interactive technology. remember minority report ?...the Wii-mote is a step in that direction. it wont be a matter of time till we see such pointing devices on home computers, media centers, etc.

But alas. im no technology guru like urself...this is just my opinion and predicition. i mean we all saw how accurate your predicition on the DS and PSP turned out.

Cheers

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Stratus Fear
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...1#366007700831

People at Ars are kind of smart. That guy avoids spouting the kind of FUD that the Inq wanted to put out there.
He's not talking about test runs. He's talking about what they'll actually be getting in reality. No where does he say test run. He says "with a chip like the cell" you'll have yields of around %20. And, even as the Ars guy says, allowing one cell to go bad you get yields of 40%. That is still pretty gosh darn low, and I don't know where he has decided Xenon gets lower yields, but it doesn't. The Ars guy is giving a lot of qualifiers that IBM never actually gave.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2006, 11:54 AM

He's not talking about test runs. He's talking about what they'll actually be getting in reality. No where does he say test run. He says "with a chip like the cell" you'll have yields of around %20. And, even as the Ars guy says, allowing one cell to go bad you get yields of 40%. That is still pretty gosh darn low, and I don't know where he has decided Xenon gets lower yields, but it doesn't. The Ars guy is giving a lot of qualifiers that IBM never actually gave.

What Inquirer "forgot" to mention is that other Sony products, like the Bravia TVs and HD recorders, are all based on PPC these days, which means that they can use Cell chips with less than 7 working cores that otherwise wouldn't work in the PS3. It's a very efficient and clever strategy since Cells with anything between 1-8 cores can still have an application and be used from day 1. That there will be relatively low yields on 100% working Cells, i.e. the ones that have 8 working cores, is something they planned for.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2006, 12:07 PM

Dont focus so much on the controller. it's not the only option on the Wii. And yeah Nintendo didnt invent video games.....but i wonder why Sony suddenly got motion controls in it's controller...it's something worth chuckling at....they have been riding Nintendo's coattails since the PS1, and despite their market share dominance they cant seem to innovate, if anything im pissed off that they cant seem to had they made some real contribution to gaming in the PSP or PS3 i would have loved it. I mean if anything just look at the DS.
Not as much as Nintendo was riding on other people's ideas (analog controller). I should snicker at that too, no?

Why do you fanbois always insist that Nintendo is the center of the universe?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
What Inquirer "forgot" to mention is that other Sony products, like the Bravia TVs and HD recorders, are all based on PPC these days, which means that they can use Cell chips with less than 7 working cores that otherwise wouldn't work in the PS3. It's a very efficient and clever strategy since Cells with anything between 1-8 cores can still have an application and be used from day 1. That there will be relatively low yields on 100% working Cells, i.e. the ones that have 8 working cores, is something they planned for.
That's great. This is a console thread. Not a TV and HD recorder thread. And something being based on the PowerPC doesn't mean it will just be a simple transition to the Cell.

If Sony wanted to use a 4 Core Cell in the PS3 so they could reap higher yields it would be fine. But they want a 7 Core Cell.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2006, 12:21 PM

That's great. This is a console thread. Not a TV and HD recorder thread. And something being based on the PowerPC doesn't mean it will just be a simple transition to the Cell.

If Sony wanted to use a 4 Core Cell in the PS3 so they could reap higher yields it would be fine. But they want a 7 Core Cell.
Yes you are a moron, we get it already

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
Yes you are a moron, we get it already
I'm just glad there are apparently enough Cells for my TV, which means absolutely nothing for the PS3.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jul 14, 2006, 12:49 PM

Test runs weren't mentioned anywhere in that post. 40% is low, but not gosh darn low. Most chips don't yield at 100%, nor 90%. It's 40% now (or at the time of writing of the original article) but usually yields ramp up. It should ramp up more toward release. I don't see anything in his post that isn't valid either, less the Xenon quote, which I know nothing about. Since I'm not debating him, I'm not going to get a link out of him either, but I'd like a link out of you about Xenon yields since you claim he's wrong.

The point is, journalists like to conveniently leave things out so they can draw alternate conclusions that don't show the entire picture. Inq does that a lot. There's a lot more to consider in this situation than the one sentence where an IBM guy said "10-20%. Maybe 40%" Where's the context? oh yeah, the Inq didn't care about that.
( Last edited by Stratus Fear; Jul 14, 2006 at 01:15 PM. )

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jul 14, 2006, 12:52 PM

You don't even know what their production capacity is anyway. They could make 500 million wafers a day for all we know (and I know its certainly not anywhere near that high, but it's an example). If they produce enough wafers of chips per day, 40% of that being PS3 capable still isn't bad if it turns out a fair number of chips. The cell isn't being produced only for PS3. The entire point, as Busemann said, is that they have alternate uses up their sleeves for other products. The Cell is NOT just a console product. If you want to discuss its use in the PS3, that's entirely cool, but if we're going to talk about Cell yields and such, invariably somebody will mention what the overall point of the Cell chip is.

Edit: And here's another point I forgot to mention. The more Cell chips they use of worse yield because of the capability of dynamically turning off SPEs for alternate devices, the cheaper overall every chip will cost to the consumer as there's less production wasted.
( Last edited by Stratus Fear; Jul 14, 2006 at 01:01 PM. )

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 10:22 AM

Amazon Reports More Japanese Want PS3 Than Wii

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/am...wii-188000.php

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 10:47 AM

"Put on by Otona Fami (a Famitsu publication), the poll solicited the opinions of gamers, retailers, and developers, with gamers having the lowest interest in the PS3 at 16.7% (pictured) and developers with the highest level of interest at 27.3%."

http://www.about.joystiq.com/2006/07...l-comparisons/

Yup...sure looks like the PS3 is going to have the most games and biggest marketshare in Japan

PS>> remember the whole PSP vs DS flame-fanboy-wars ? R.I.P. PSP (Gameworld Network) (bye bye PSP)
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jul 19, 2006 at 10:54 AM. )

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jul 19, 2006, 10:54 AM

Yup...sure looks like the PS3 is going to have the most games and biggest marketshare in Japan
"Look! Look! I just refuted one potentially skewed statistic with another potentially skewed statistic! Clearly that other one is wrong and this one is right!"

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 10:57 AM

"Look! Look! I just refuted one potentially skewed statistic with another potentially skewed statistic! Clearly that other one is wrong and this one is right!"
Thanks captain obvious. thats exactly the point i was trying to make by the way.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jul 19, 2006, 10:59 AM

Thanks captain obvious. thats exactly the point i was trying to make by the way.
That wasn't at all obvious by your post. Your post came off as "Look at me! I'm special!" If you're trying to make a point, try stating it next time, k thx bai.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 11:02 AM

That wasn't at all obvious by your post. Your post came off as "Look at me! I'm special!" If you're trying to make a point, try stating it next time, k thx bai.
I dont format my thoughts and posts for idiots. If your finding it hard to comprehend...think first, then post.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jul 19, 2006, 11:05 AM

I dont format my thoughts and posts for idiots. If your finding it hard to understand...think first, then post.
No, you format it for think-alike asshats. Sorry that I'm not one. Try speaking English instead of graphs with fanboy quotes.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 11:29 AM

So anyway.... just leaving this bickering to the mentally challenged.....

Since this thread has been resurrected...check out this trailer of "Sadness" the Wii exclusive and probably the game im most looking forward to this coming generation.

Im really hoping this game delivers all it promices to be.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=sadness+wii

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jul 19, 2006 at 11:36 AM. )

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jul 19, 2006, 11:39 AM

Ya know, if you don't want to look like an ass, you should completely ignore it instead of saying anything. Saving face with an insult isn't saving face at all.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 11:54 AM

Thanks Yoda, ill keep that in mind. You made a great contribution to this thread with your posts today. Top effort, keep it up. (That was sarcasm, thought id point it out, since you probably wouldnt have guessed).

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jul 19, 2006, 12:28 PM

Thanks Yoda, ill keep that in mind. You made a great contribution to this thread with your posts today. Top effort, keep it up. (That was sarcasm, thought id point it out, since you probably wouldnt have guessed).
Hey, there's a really nifty ignore feature here. Wow, you're the first person on the list! You're special today. (You're the master of sarcasm right? You should understand.)

Stupid people (Hint: THIS IS YOU) generally go on ignore lists. Although I'm sure you don't care, because you probably enjoy it. Have a nice day.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 01:03 PM

Since this thread has been resurrected...check out this trailer of "Sadness" the Wii exclusive and probably the game im most looking forward to this coming generation.

Im really hoping this game delivers all it promices to be.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=sadness+wii

Cheers
If that is the only trailer for it, why would you want it? Did it look all that exciting to you? Thanks, but no thanks.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 01:26 PM

I'm going to wait until the PS3 and Wii are released. I'm not sold on the 360...

I like the idea of having a Blu-ray player... and the Wii looks interesting as it has the crazy controler.

The cons in my book:
360 - Slugigh sales (makes me nervous).
PS3 - Price
Wii - No High Def

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2006, 02:13 PM

PS>> remember the whole PSP vs DS flame-fanboy-wars ? R.I.P. PSP (Gameworld Network) (bye bye PSP)
Wha? PSP owns the DS in almost every aspect. I have both the DS lite and the PSP and my DS lite is somewhere in my closet never to be seen again. The games on the PSP are sooo much better, selection and graphics. The psp has power, that's why it's expensive, same with the PS3. I'm not a sony fanboy, if the psp was made by microsoft I would get it and support it, if it was made by nintendo I would get it and I would support it. I just support the more powerful system.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jul 19, 2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
Wha? PSP owns the DS in almost every aspect. I have both the DS lite and the PSP and my DS lite is somewhere in my closet never to be seen again. The games on the PSP are sooo much better, selection and graphics. The psp has power, that's why it's expensive, same with the PS3. I'm not a sony fanboy, if the psp was made by microsoft I would get it and support it, if it was made by nintendo I would get it and I would support it. I just support the more powerful system.
I have more games for my PSP than I do the DS. The DS has some nice stuff, but there's so much more in the Japanese market than there is here. Some of the DS games heralded as great on this side of the pond are the type that I could play for a few hours (and have a lot of fun, mind you) and then probably forget. But the other fact is that I play a lot of racing games, and the PSP has a good amount of those, so naturally that makes it a better platform for me.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2006, 05:36 PM

I've completely reversed my position on the ps3; I think now that it's going to be huge:

...wait for it...

(Now)
Genius. You know who.

Quake4SMP
Baninated
Jul 20, 2006, 05:42 PM

You know.... honestly... who gives a ****. PS2s library is so huge, I've only played like 50-60% of all the games I want to try out. You guys all go ahead and buy the new ****, I'll save $ and enjoy my leisuretime with bargin bin $5-10 ps2 games.

blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2006, 06:19 PM

if somebody gets me a lot of money for my PSP i might be able to buy a WII...otherwise i have to stay happy with my gamecube ;-)
i would accept staying with the gamecube, games are becoming so cheap for it...would be a crime to go with one of the new consoles

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2006, 07:25 AM

Leaked picture of the final shipping retail PS3.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2006, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
I just support the more powerful system.
In that case, Sony's the company for you, cause they like you, seem to be ignoring every other aspect of making a good product...... cost, asthetics, ascessibility and innovation.

I know, i come off as a fanboy, but everything ive said about the NDS and Wii has been unbiased and more of an analysis of it's potential in the market place. So far, what some of us have said about the NDS has actually happened for the various reason pointed out (price, battery life, games, nintendo wi-fi, innovation).... while the PSP crowd is still yelling about power and those few games for the niche market it caters to. Im not inventing this stuff or skewing information to suit my opinion....thats just the way it is no matter from what angle you look at it.

It is my humble opinion, that the PS3 will be to the home console market, what the PSP is to the portable gaming market.And the Wii will be to the home consoel market, what the NDS is to portable gaming market.

They share almost every characteristic with their portable counterparts relative to the competition........price, design, power, potential for gaming, features to attract new user, innovative features, control improvement over previous generation, graphical improvment over previous generation, development costs, media formats.

Those are just the facts of the way things stand.....what the outcome will be is anyones guess. im GUESSING that each home console will perform similar to their portable counterpart for the forementioned reasons. i could end up being totally wrong, we'll see.

Now...that being said....marketshare really doesnt mater all that much in the end. i currently own the home console with the smallest marketshare(my first Nintendo console i might add) ...but i get to play the games i wanted to at a reasonable price. power didnt even factor into my equation when i was looking to buy a console....it was games available and price first, followed by asthetics and controller. thats it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2006, 10:23 AM

The problem is that you ARE such a fanboy and you miss out on a lot of other good things that the other consoles offer.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 21, 2006, 10:51 AM

Some small news on the Xbox 360 HD DVD setup...

ATI's H.264 video decoder chosen by Microsoft for Xbox 360'TM' HD DVD player

"The Xbox 360 gives consumers access to a world of high-definition games and video content through Xbox Live Marketplace. With the new Xbox 360 HD DVD player using ATI's decoder technology, we're giving consumers the choice to playback the latest in high-definition movies," said Todd Holmdahl, corporate vice president of Xbox 360 hardware development. "HD DVD brings new meaning to the term home theater. When people see the visual clarity and realism that Microsoft and ATI are delivering through the Xbox 360 this holiday, they will be blown away."

To enable the smoothest H.264 video playback possible, the ATI decoder technology makes use of the Xbox 360's graphics processing unit (GPU) to accelerate video processing. The unified shader design of the GPU enables high-end processing techniques such as comb filtering and automatic gain control to ensure that video artifacts such as blockiness or color bands don't disrupt playback.

So, the playback quality has the potential not to suck, but we all know the history with movie playback on consoles.

Forum Links
Forum Rules