Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 15)
blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2006, 11:32 AM

your completely right...
sony without online service is not gonna do as well as with the ps2

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 21, 2006, 02:48 PM

This is what is strange about the Wii.

It needs a reasonably large TV to work properly yet it doesn't support high def which most TV's are.

If you are trying to play on a 27" 4:3 tv you are going to end up making micro hand movements which isn't exactly realistic or immersive.

http://news.spong.com/article/10431?cb=638

"Hello, what have we here?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache

It needs a reasonably large TV to work properly yet it doesn't support high def which most TV's are.

If you are trying to play on a 27" 4:3 tv you are going to end up making micro hand movements which isn't exactly realistic or immersive.

http://news.spong.com/article/10431?cb=638
That article said that that was NOT correct... "you don’t need a big telly, as it’s the wand which senses the Wiimote’s movement". Having a big TV doesn't matter for the Wiimote.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 10:37 AM

Michel Ancel

"It’s so different from the other consoles that we decided to reconsider everything…We believe in the Wii and building gameplay around the controller. So now we are designing Raving Rabbids specifically (It’s an EXCLUSIVE!) for the Wii. It’s not just an adaptation. It’s a very special project, because this is really a revolution for us. Now we have to focus on one version - the Wii version."

Xavier Poix

"The more we heard about the Wii, the more interested we became. Then when we got our development kits, we knew that everything we dreamed of doing on this was possible. That’s why we changed our minds. We decided, ‘Ok let’s just focus on Wii’. That’s it. The other versions can come later."

- http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=4086

To sum it up, the next Rayman game will be a Wii exclusive.

Cheers

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
To sum it up, the next Rayman game will be a Wii exclusive.
BFD

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 10:45 AM

Great contribution.... keep it up.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2006, 10:47 AM

Nobody gives a rat's ass about Rayman. So it's a Wii exclusive. Is that supposed to be impressive in some way? Maybe something with a little more clout would make anyone care.

But please keep posting these fanboy-induced links. They're a great way to break up my day.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2006, 10:53 AM

I'd argue that most TVs are not yet high-definition, particularly when you consider the existing installed base. At this point, most TVs under $1000 are still not high-definition; even if we count only the $500-$1000 range it's still about half and half. Most people can no more afford to drop $500 on a television than they could afford to do it on a game console.

Although high-definition graphics are nifty, their time has not yet come: aside from a small number of enthusiasts, people are not clamoring for it. Nintendo actually removed high-definition support from the GameCube when their market research showed that almost nobody was using it in the existing GameCube models.
"Realism" and "Immersion" are two entirely different things. Realism can be used to enhance immersion, but it is far from necessary.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by starman
Nobody gives a rat's ass about Rayman.

Jeeze....sorry dude. didnt mean to ruin your day. if i had known this stuff (videogames) meant that much to you, i would have refrained from posting. Just thought the Rayman and Nintendo fans would have liked to know about it.... but yeah...ill refrain from posting anything about Rayman since it bothers you so much. have a nice day.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2006, 11:00 AM

Jeeze....sorry dude. didnt mean to ruin your day. if i had known this stuff (videogames) meant that much to you, i would have refrained from posting. Just thought the Rayman and Nintendo fans would have liked to know about it.... but yeah...ill refrain from posting anything about Rayman since it bothers you so much. have a nice day.
You must have a reading comprehension problem because I didn't say "you ruined my day". Well, back to second grade for you I suppose....

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 11:08 AM

oh yeah my bad. u done ?

wait a minute..i actually posted some news, that you dont like. do i care what you think about it ? go make sort of contribution with facts...i dont really care about your opinion mate. seriously.... you dont need to be nasty abou it....and throw a tantrum.... its just videogames. i dont care if its insignificant news to you or even if its bad news.... i thought it was worth posting, and thats that. deal with it. is this how its going to be everytime Nintendo scores ? shessh....u dont see me pissing on Sony's parade. grow up already.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jul 24, 2006 at 11:18 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2006, 11:30 AM

shessh....u dont see me pissing on Sony's parade.
Are you f-----g kidding me?????????????????????????

Would you like the long list of posts where you pissed all over Sony and MS?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 11:38 AM

Are you f-----g kidding me?????????????????????????
ugh.... ur such a particular tight arse arent ya ?

I have commented on Sony being a copycat and a non-innovator.

but deny the PS2's success ? and its library ? You dont see me rediculing PS2 owners though (you and SWG being the exception cause your so fair to Nintendo and it's fans)

I leave you with what i began today..... Rayman Raging Rabits, is now a Wii exclusive, despite initial claims that it was a cross-platform game becuase the developers & publishers didnt see the merit in bringing it to the PS3 and XBox 360.

Take it like a man, and have a good night sir.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2006, 11:43 AM

Nobody gives a rat's ass about Rayman. So it's a Wii exclusive. Is that supposed to be impressive in some way? Maybe something with a little more clout would make anyone care.

But please keep posting these fanboy-induced links. They're a great way to break up my day.
Most people would see it as a good sign for the Wii that a game's XBox 360 and PS3 versions were canceled in favor of going Wii only. It shows that game developers have a lot of confidence in the Wii's market share.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2006, 11:45 AM

To sum up:

Whatever lameass web site reported this wasn't entirely accurate:

"The other versions can come later"

Which means that Rayman will NOT be exclusive, just on the Wii FIRST.

Take it like a man, and have a good night, sir.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2006, 11:48 AM

To sum up:

Whatever lameass web site reported this wasn't entirely accurate:

"The other versions can come later"

Which means that Rayman will NOT be exclusive, just on the Wii FIRST.

Take it like a man, and have a good night, sir.
I'm not sure were you're reading that there will be other versions. "Can" is a very different word than "will". Of course they can release for any platform they want, it doesn't mean they will.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
I'm not sure were you're reading that there will be other versions. "Can" is a very different word than "will". Of course they can release for any platform they want, it doesn't mean they will.
In a market full of backtalk like "we have no plans...", "Can" is about as definitive as "will".

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2006, 10:55 AM

"To date we have shipped more than 10,000 development systems to 208 companies in 11 countries, the largest number ever for a PlayStation platform."

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=3502&Itemid=2

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2006, 09:43 PM

Read red bold very carefully

"The fourth quarter of 2006 will herald a new era for Nintendo with the launch of its remarkable new Wii home video game system. But that's not what this news item is about! How could that be, you ask? Perhaps the secret to the launch information for Wii is somehow encoded in the text of this news item. You might want to pore over it for a few hours before staying up all night to debate phraseology and comma placement with your friends online. Or maybe it's all just a scam to get you to read the other games we have launching this fall. One of the two.

As the weather cools down, the Nintendo portable game offerings heat up. FINAL FANTASY V ADVANCE makes its way to Game Boy Advance SP on Nov. 6. As series go, FINAL FANTASY is to video games what James Bond is to movies. FINAL FANTASY loyalists will enjoy an opportunity to debate which installment was best.

Nintendo DS owners are the big winners. Every week or so, another huge DS title hits, from the Touch Generations title Clubhouse Games to fan favorites like Elite Beat Agents and Yoshi's Island 2. Clearly a gamer's idea of paradise, here is Nintendo's upcoming DS lineup:

Oct. 9: Clubhouse Games
Oct. 16: Nintendogs (Dalmatian)
Oct. 23: Magical Starsign
Oct. 30: Pokémon Ranger
Oct. 30: Children of Mana
Nov. 6: Elite Beat Agents
Nov. 13: Yoshi's Island 2
Dec. 4: Custom Robo Arena
Dec. 4: Kirby Squeak Squad

And, for Nintendo GameCube owners, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess will be available for you this fall. An enhanced version also will be a launch title for Wii. That will all happen on... Oh look, we're out of space.

For more information about all of Nintendo's upcoming titles, please visit www.nintendo.com."

blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2006, 12:07 AM

while talking about nintendo...does anybody play beyond good and evil? I just got it and love it! its awesome, by far the best game ive ever played...paid 30$ on ebay for a used copy without box or anything but it was definately worth it!!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2006, 02:15 AM

I saw my roomie playing it on his PS2. it looks pretty good. i might just get it as well.... although i have yet to finish MP2.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2006, 02:17 AM

I give a rat's ass. That's someone.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
I give a rat's ass. That's someone.

sssshhhhhh. u'll piss him off again !! quick, say something bad about Nintendo or something good about the PS2/XBox or we'll never hear the end of it.

Cheers

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 12:46 PM

sssshhhhhh. u'll piss him off again !! quick, say something bad about Nintendo or something good about the PS2/XBox or we'll never hear the end of it.

Cheers
<invokes SWG>

Rayman stupid dumb kids game Nintendo's market no one will buy not HD everyone has HD I want Bluray Wiimote is dumb too much moving.

Also, developers are underwhelmed with the 10,000 dev kits:
http://www.realmmedia.com/next_gen_n...evelopers.html

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 11:17 AM

Also, developers are underwhelmed with the 10,000 dev kits:
http://www.realmmedia.com/next_gen_n...evelopers.html
"We were also told that the dev kit seemed to be extremely adaptive and easy to program for. In fact, Pseudo talked about how they hadn't put in their planned tilt sensitivity, but had literally dropped in the wireless support for the controllers on Tuesday. The controllers, which feel much lighter thanks to the removal of the rumble feature, nevertheless were solid and extremely responsive. "

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/726/726255p1.html

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 03:15 PM

A plea to Wii developers:

IGN: Letter from the Editor

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 03:28 PM

A plea to Wii developers:

IGN: Letter from the Editor

Classic.

Eat that, fanbois who say "we don't need that crap".

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 03:29 PM

good graphics ruin games

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 03:30 PM

Classic.

Actually it is the exact same thing I mentioned a YEARS ago.

The Gamecube supported 480p widescreen, Nintendo bragged about it.

Then, the gamecube comes out but the cables needed to make it 480p are nowhere to be found for another year. Even today they are next to impossible to find.

On top of that some gamecube games were widescreen but 95% were not. There is no reason why they shouldn't have all been widescreen like the Xbox.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 03:39 PM

Hmm...the component cables are listed as out of stock on N's site. You can still get them easily from 3rd party sources though, like Monster.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 03:41 PM

Classic.

Uh, OK. Would you like me to make a shitty, slow Web site and write an editorial about how we don't need that crap? Would you then be like, "Holy crap, I got owned"?

Seriously, you seem to think any article agreeing with your biases will completely dissuade and embarrass anyone who disagrees with you. This is not the case.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Uh, OK. Would you like me to make a shitty, slow Web site and write an editorial about how we don't need that crap? Would you then be like, "Holy crap, I got owned"?

Seriously, you seem to think any article agreeing with your biases will completely dissuade and embarrass anyone who disagrees with you. This is not the case.
Yes, please do, because we all know that YOUR shitty web site will make more money have have more inside tracks than IGN

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 03:53 PM

My point is that bogging your Web site down with ads does not make your opinion more valid.
Chuck
___

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 03:54 PM

So you're saying that IGN is basically nothing but a web site of ****?

Dude, seriously, IGN's been around for years. It's respected.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 04:19 PM

Hmm...the component cables are listed as out of stock on N's site. You can still get them easily from 3rd party sources though, like Monster.

Even then it isn't worth it as few games supported 480p or widescreen.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 04:22 PM

Yes, IGN is established. That does not make that dude's opinion more valid than yours or mine. The publication I write for has been around longer than the Web, but you don't seem to take my personal feelings as the Word of God. Well-reasoned opinions are good regardless of where they are printed, and statements of personal preference are likewise equal regardless of where they are printed. If I say I don't care about something and he says he does, it's not like I go, "OMG, my opinion must be wrong!"

Oh, and no, I don't like IGN.
Chuck
___

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 04:25 PM

To further back up the ISSUE the next version of Zelda was developed on the gamecube originally.

Now suddenly there are going to be 2 different versions.. one for the Wii and one for the Cube.

The cube version is NOT in widescreen. There is NO REASON for them to do that other then to make it look like the Wii version is technically better.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2006, 05:03 PM

To further back up the ISSUE the next version of Zelda was developed on the gamecube originally.

Now suddenly there are going to be 2 different versions.. one for the Wii and one for the Cube.

The cube version is NOT in widescreen. There is NO REASON for them to do that other then to make it look like the Wii version is technically better.
Is that going to be the only difference? No better graphics on the Wii? Is the one on the Wii going to support widescreen?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
Is that going to be the only difference? No better graphics on the Wii? Is the one on the Wii going to support widescreen?
Some interviews say the Wii will also have better graphics but this game started off on the GameCube until recently so I am going to guess that it just has better textures.

And yes, like I said the Wii version will have widescreen when the cube one does not.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 05:11 PM

Classic.

Um. It was a letter asking for widescreen support in 3rd party games from 3rd party studios.. It's not an "OMG Nintendo was PWNED LOLZ" moment.

Widescreen would be nice. My next tv will probably be a widescreen. Do I give a crap when I play Smash Brothers on an 1080i tv and it's not widescreen or hd? Nope. You'd have to be a zealous fanboy to care.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 05:14 PM

Yeah, frankly, I and most others still use a normal TV for our gaming. Would I like to waste an extra grand on my TV? Sure. But I could buy something useful (say, food) with the money instead and not lose out on much. Others may care more, but I sure don't.
Chuck
___

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 05:21 PM

Um. It was a letter asking for widescreen support in 3rd party games from 3rd party studios.. It's not an "OMG Nintendo was PWNED LOLZ" moment.
Actually it is a case of eating your own dogfood as Nintendo doesn't even make most of its own games widescreen so it was a cry out to Nintendo also.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2006, 05:22 PM

I'm starting to care more about HD and wide screen now.... up until a month ago I was thinking that it didn't really matter, but now that I am *almost* in the TV market I wish the Wii supported hi-def and wide-screen. You can't even find a non-HD TV any more it seems. And since I am most likely going to be buying HD (like everyone buying TVs in the future), I wish the Wii supported it. *cry*

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 05:25 PM

Actually it is a case of eating your own dogfood as Nintendo doesn't even make most of its own games widescreen so it was a cry out to Nintendo also.
No, really? It's not like I used Smash Brothers as an example of a game that's not widescreen where I don't care what resolution it runs in.

Name me a first party game on the Wii which won't support widescreen.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 05:26 PM

Yeah, frankly, I and most others still use a normal TV for our gaming. Would I like to waste an extra grand on my TV? Sure. But I could buy something useful (say, food) with the money instead and not lose out on much. Others may care more, but I sure don't.
Look at the number now and there are more HD TV's in peoples homes than GameCubes.

The wii is supposed to last 5 years, it will already be dated when it is released and 2-3 years from now it will be the odd man out with no HD support.

And like others have said, finding an non-HD tv these days is damn hard.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 05:28 PM

Look at the number now and there are more HD TV's in peoples homes than GameCubes.
And most of those HD TV's won't be used for video games. I bet at most %50 will.

The Wii can be upgraded to HD later and all games can be upscaled, XBox 360 style. For now, it's not necessary.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 05:33 PM

And like others have said, finding an non-HD tv these days is damn hard.
Has this changed drastically in the past year? Because I had to replace my old one then, and all the affordable models were regular old non-HD sets.
Chuck
___

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 05:36 PM

The Wii can be upgraded to HD later and all games can be upscaled, XBox 360 style. For now, it's not necessary.
I'd love to see a source for that.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 05:37 PM

Has this changed drastically in the past year? Because I had to replace my old one then, and all the affordable models were regular old non-HD sets.
Absolutely. The cost of LCD, Plasma and DLP TV's has dropped by about 30-40% in the past year and a half.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2006, 05:38 PM

Uh, yeah. HD models are like 1/2 the cost they were last year, and even Walmart sells more of them than the non-HD models.

Forum Links
Forum Rules