Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 7)
starman
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
I think the speakers in the control will bring spatiality in sound to much more people than Dolby surround would.
Dolby's been in N products since the N64. Dropping it iwould be retarded. Rogue Squadron and Zelda in surround was badass.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by starman
Dolby's been in N products since the N64. Dropping it iwould be retarded. Rogue Squadron and Zelda in surround was badass.
Dolby has been there, but optical hasn't. Most likely, the Wii will continue to use the same Dolby technology as the previous generations of Nintendo consoles.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ink
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
I think the speakers in the control will bring spatiality in sound to much more people than Dolby surround would.
Intersting point; The Wii will be have several "rear" speakers in the Wii remotes. It'll still be a pain to hook into my stereo system though.
Originally Posted by Millennium
Dolby has been there, but optical hasn't. Most likely, the Wii will continue to use the same Dolby technology as the previous generations of Nintendo consoles.
That's using channel tricks with stereo to simulate spacial sound; not really the same thing. You can't put 5 or 6 channels down a couple pair of analog audio copper cables.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2006, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
And peoples homes?
...Are you going to tell us now you have halogen track lighting around your TV?

Or are you still getting it installed so you can come up with another excuse of why Nintendo sucks?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 12:50 AM

Oh here we go.. just like they did before the Gamecube they are admitting the mistakes of the previous system...

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/fe...id=12788&rp=49

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Oh here we go.. just like they did before the Gamecube they are admitting the mistakes of the previous system...

If they said the Gamecube was an astounding success you'd still be criticizing them.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 01:24 AM

They didn't say there was anything wrong with the GameCube, what they said was "the initial software lineup for the GameCube was simply not "diverse and strong enough from a first and third-party perspective."" So in other words they want this system to have have more games from the get-go. If that is their biggest mistake, I think they have done a good job. I think every game platform has said that this wave is going to have a super line-up.

You need to get a life. Something other than searching day and night for any scraps of anti-nintendo news you can find.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
They didn't say there was anything wrong with the GameCube, what they said was "the initial software lineup for the GameCube was simply not "diverse and strong enough from a first and third-party perspective."" So in other words they want this system to have have more games from the get-go. If that is their biggest mistake, I think they have done a good job. I think every game platform has said that this wave is going to have a super line-up.

You need to get a life. Something other than searching day and night for any scraps of anti-nintendo news you can find.
Thats just what he does, everyone here knows it lol.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2006, 09:21 AM

"The mistakes of the previous system"? None of the things they mention here seem to be attributes of the previous system at all. They're problems with the way the system was launched.

Of course, I can see why you'd mistake them for attributes of the GameCube: the article's wording was slanted that way. Since that's what you want to hear, it's what you heard.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2006, 12:35 PM

Apparently when Japan showed interest in the PS3, it wasn't in a good way.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=3103&Itemid=2

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
"The mistakes of the previous system"? None of the things they mention here seem to be attributes of the previous system at all. They're problems with the way the system was launched.

Of course, I can see why you'd mistake them for attributes of the GameCube: the article's wording was slanted that way. Since that's what you want to hear, it's what you heard.
Oh come on, that means exactly the same. When people talk about the Dreamcast as a failure, they don't refer to the machine itself--which was incredibly well engineered at the time--but rather how it was launched and marketed.

As the article says, the GameCube was a failure because of a very weak lineup of first and third party titles, and poor marketing.

You people need to get a life. Something other than searching day and night for any scraps of anti-Sony/Nintendo/MS news you can find.
I fixed that one for you

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2006, 02:40 PM

Torsoboy, did you get your nick from "Albuquerque?"
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Torsoboy, did you get your nick from "Albuquerque?"
Sure did. And suprisingly no one has used it on much of anything. A great nickname I think.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
Oh come on, that means exactly the same. When people talk about the Dreamcast as a failure, they don't refer to the machine itself--which was incredibly well engineered at the time--but rather how it was launched and marketed.

As the article says, the GameCube was a failure because of a very weak lineup of first and third party titles, and poor marketing.
Did you forget to read the article before posting? here is a quote from the article:

"While by no means a failure, clearly the GameCube has not been the stellar success that Nintendo had hoped it would be."

So no, they were not saying it was a failure, they were saying it had a bad startup of games and it didn't do as well as they had hoped.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2006, 03:25 PM

Sure did. And suprisingly no one has used it on much of anything. A great nickname I think.
Well, sure! I don't know why anyone would complain about it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ink
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 07:41 PM

"While by no means a failure, clearly the GameCube has not been the stellar success that Nintendo had hoped it would be."

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 09:51 PM

Did you forget to read the article before posting? here is a quote from the article:

So no, they were not saying it was a failure, they were saying it had a bad startup of games and it didn't do as well as they had hoped.
I just like to call a spade for a spade. In my book, the GC was a failure, both in terms of quality titles and sales. Now I wouldn't call the Nintendo 64 a failure--as I said earlier in this thread, I still think it's one of the best consoles ever made because of all the AAA titles-- but the GC was a major letdown in most aspects
( Last edited by Busemann; May 27, 2006 at 01:56 PM. )

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 12:03 AM

I just like to call a spade for a spade. In my book, the GC was a failure, both in terms of quality titles and sales.
Meh.

For many people, it had plenty of great titles, was the most stylish of the consoles, had the best controller, and was a great system. In fact, it's still that for many people.

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
Meh.

For many people, it had plenty of great titles, was the most stylish of the consoles, had the best controller, and was a great system. In fact, it's still that for many people.
And so is the Dreamcast

Madferret
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 11:34 AM

Regardless of what they said, what they MEANT was the nintendo game lineup was for KIDDIES, and preschoolers. It's unfortunate that they can't break out of that phase, but considering their new thing is a starwars game with a light sabre, I don't see them breaking out of this trap they've built for themselves by catering to kids. This new system will be the same: barely any games, and mostly for kids. No thanks.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by FrankeniMac
Regardless of what they said, what they MEANT was the nintendo game lineup was for KIDDIES, and preschoolers. It's unfortunate that they can't break out of that phase, but considering their new thing is a starwars game with a light sabre, I don't see them breaking out of this trap they've built for themselves by catering to kids. This new system will be the same: barely any games, and mostly for kids. No thanks.
Umm no.

Nintedo caters to everyone, including... kids, gamers, men, women, seniors and casual gamers.

The other's cater to technophiles...geeky males between the ages of 18-35.

If you look at each oth their strategies, Nintendo is staying true to it's roots of trying to be an inclusive system. it's the other two that are desperately trying to break out of their little niches.... and failing miserably i might add. since most of the games of the other 2 are either racing or FSPs for the most part.

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Nintedo caters to everyone, including... kids, gamers, men, women, seniors and casual gamers.

The other's cater to technophiles...geeky males between the ages of 18-35.
This is just a Nintendo-created urban myth. You'd be surprised how wide appeal games like, say, Singstar and EyeToy have. Sony's been much more succesful in reaching out to the demographics you just listed with those titles than anything Nintendo's done. Nintendo has completely lost it in the homemarket, so they have a lot to prove with Wii. How many "women, seniors and casual gamers" have even played on a GC?

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2006, 12:38 PM

This is just a Nintendo-created urban myth. You'd be surprised how wide appeal games like, say, Singstar and EyeToy have. Sony's been much more succesful in reaching out to the demographics you just listed with those titles than anything Nintendo's done. Nintendo has completely lost it in the homemarket, so they have a lot to prove with Wii. How many "women, seniors and casual gamers" have even played on a GC?
I met my girlfriend because I had a Gamecube. Gamecube was the reason I had 3-4 women in my dorm room every afternoon.

And yes, I remember the Eyetoy demo from E3 this year. Looked like a great way for kids to play Pokemon.

Madferret
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 01:11 PM

Umm no.
Um, yes. Nintendo caters to kids, and total geeks who like anime and masturbate to princess leia in star wars games.

The rest of hte really real world (Ps2, Xbox) cater to males who enjoy things outside the kiddie/anime/star wars realm such as racing, wanton destruction, sports, and violence.

Madferret
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
I met my girlfriend because I had a Gamecube. Gamecube was the reason I had 3-4 women in my dorm room every afternoon.
Yes and I'm sure they were quite the lookers.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 01:14 PM

Um, yes. Nintendo caters to kids, and total geeks who like anime and masturbate to princess leia in star wars games.

The rest of hte really real world (Ps2, Xbox) cater to males who enjoy things outside the kiddie/anime/star wars realm such as racing, wanton destruction, sports, and violence.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2006, 01:29 PM

Yes and I'm sure they were quite the lookers.
...you didn't just say that.

Madferret
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 01:38 PM

Dude, I'm ****ing sorry, but anybody who meets their significant other over a videogame console is probably ... well..**** it. I'm not even going there. Glad you're happy.

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 01:38 PM

post pix pls?

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2006, 01:47 PM

post pix pls?
Why? I don't need a bunch of immature Sony fanboys running around with my girlfriends picture, whether or not they think she is attractive. And she wouldn't appreciate me posting pictures either. She isn't shy about having her picture online, but I don't think she deserves to have her looks turned into a point of contention in this thread.

I value respecting my girlfriend more than winning a dumb argument online. Funny, isn't it?

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 01:58 PM

Why? I don't need a bunch of immature Sony fanboys running around with my girlfriends picture, whether or not they think she is attractive. And she wouldn't appreciate me posting pictures either. She isn't shy about having her picture online, but I don't think she deserves to have her looks turned into a point of contention in this thread.

I value respecting my girlfriend more than winning a dumb argument online. Funny, isn't it?
It was you who brought it up, but whatever. And simply labeling people immature fanboys doesn't really help your case either.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2006, 02:08 PM

It was you who brought it up, but whatever. And simply labeling people immature fanboys doesn't really help your case either.
I believe you brought it up when you say girls don't ever really play Nintendo. I was saying they do.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 02:16 PM

Gaming threads have hit a new low. ugh

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 02:26 PM

I believe you brought it up when you say girls don't ever really play Nintendo. I was saying they do.
bzzt! try again.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Microsuck
Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering why so much people dislike the PS3 so much? I mean, the specs are a lot better than any of the other consoles. Is it because it costs so much? Or do a lot of people don't like Sony and prefer Microsoft and Nintendo?
  • It costs a lot
  • It isn't really that much faster according to some sources
  • It's hard to use the super core system
  • The 360 is already out
  • The Wii has a more innovative controller
  • The PS3 was a copycat of the Wii's motion-sensing.
  • etc
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 02:40 PM

And so is the Dreamcast
A big difference being that Sega is no longer in the console business.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2006, 02:54 PM

bzzt! try again.
Ok.

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 04:18 PM

Ok.
*sigh*

I never said girls don't ever play Nintendo. There's a lot of girls that considers themselves gamers, and hardcore at that. But judging by the sales charts, I doubt Nintendo was successful in reaching out to women, seniors and casual gamers with the GC, as someone first claimed. It was you who brought up being a chick magnet with your GC, so It'd just be interesting to see if they would fit the stereotype of gamers or not

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2006, 05:00 PM

It was you who brought up being a chick magnet with your GC, so It'd just be interesting to see if they would fit the stereotype of gamers or not
Ok. What's a gamer exactly then?

Destonius
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 06:06 PM

Umm, Nintendo is for kids? I used to think so until I played Killer 7 on GC...

Final Fantasy ain't gonna do it for PS3. FFXII turned out to be one of the worst games I've ever played. I was really looking forward to playing a FF directed by the creator of FFT, but he was kicked out of the team last year and they released an incomplete game for a quick cash. It really felt like the greatest game ever created in the first few hours with all the high expectations I had built up over the years, which is where the Famitsu perfect score comes from, but the game quickly turned into a pure nightmare. It was the first FF that I never finished and sold and it will be the last FF I'll ever play. Sigh... It appears that I'm not the only one disappointed.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...557223-2701068
http://kyoichi.mods.jp/ps2/soft_06/rpg/ff12.html

Oh well, it's only entertainment. No biggie.

...explosante fixe...

Destonius
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 06:20 PM

By the way, I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. To balance out my comment above, I'll write something positive about PS.

I just played a game on PS2 that blew me away. It has become one of all times favorites for me. That game is Okami, created by the members of a Capcom team that gave birth to Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe and Steel Batallion. Highly recommended, especially if you love Zelda. For me, it's up there in ranks of Zelda series.
http://www.o-kami.jp/
http://ps2.ign.com/objects/678/678618.html
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...557223-2701068
http://kyoichi.mods.jp/ps2/soft_06/arpg/o-kami.html

It's all about the games, not the hardware. Cheers!!

...explosante fixe...

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Destonius
Umm, Nintendo is for kids? I used to think so until I played Killer 7 on GC...

Final Fantasy ain't gonna do it for PS3. FFXII turned out to be one of the worst games I've ever played.
Funny, it got a perfect score from Faimitsu. I guess you know more than they do.

Destonius
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 06:48 PM

Funny, it got a perfect score from Faimitsu. I guess you know more than they do.
Kneejerk reaction. Jeez. Did you not see the review links above? You don't have to be able to read Japanese to see the ratings, you know. I'm not criticizing you for being a fan of FF series and having high hopes for FFXII. You may end up loving it. I don't know. My point, which has already been repeated billion times above, is that FF isn't enough of a pull to get people to pay over $600 for a gaming system. That's all.

By the way, I've been reading Famitsu since its very first publication back in the 80's, so I am qualified to criticize Famitsu for becoming an advertising magazine. Besides, Famitsu is not even the best selling gaming magazine in Japan nowadays.

Death always leads to rebirth. Let's hope the death of old franchise and systems will give birth to something new in the gaming world. Enough sequels already.

...explosante fixe...

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 07:15 PM

As Destonius said, it's been many years since Famitsu was relevant

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2006, 08:05 PM

Funny, the Nintendo fanboys love to say how Faimitsu gave all the N games perfect scores. Are you saying that it's irrelevant?

Destonius
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 08:14 PM

Funny, the Nintendo fanboys love to say how Faimitsu gave all the N games perfect scores. Are you saying that it's irrelevant?
Yes, it's all irrelevant. It all comes down to what you feel about it.

...explosante fixe...

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 12:49 AM

IGN has posted some great videos of Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Twilight Princcess . The visuals, which some might claim inferior to PS3/XB360, look outstanding to me.

Cheers

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 03:15 AM

Check out this screenshot from the Wii version of the new Rayman...... i think there's enough action going on, on the screen.... especially given the relitavely low "power" of the system, dont you reckon ?

Cheers

PS>> this is going to be a launch title for the Wii. it started off as a Wii game and will be ported to other consoles as well. ( http://revolution.ign.com/articles/709/709614p1.html )

Destonius
Forum Regular
May 28, 2006, 08:22 AM

Funny thing about Nintendo is that they still continue to make hanafuda gaming cards, which is still the favorite among yakuza gamblers. Even the name Nintendo has a yakuza roots. Can you imagine Disney making stuff for mafia gamblers?
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n09/hana-k...ems/index.html

I wish Sega was still making consoles. I had a girlfriend who used to work for Sega.
I remember asking her to show me Space Channel 5 at her apartment before we started dating.
(Yes, I was doing that "up, up, right right, left, right, down" moves on her as soon she turned on
her Dream Cast )

Isn't it nice that we can get so worked up over something so trivial as video games
when millions of people are desperately fighting just to survive around the world?
I guess it's time I count my blessings. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Amen, Om, etc.

...explosante fixe...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 09:30 AM

Check out this screenshot from the Wii version of the new Rayman...... i think there's enough action going on, on the screen.... especially given the relitavely low "power" of the system, dont you reckon ?
This looks like a prerendered scene. What is important for gaming is what the machine can deliver live.

Forum Links
Forum Rules