Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > HD upgrade on iBook 500

HD upgrade on iBook 500
Danoir
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 03:13 PM

I have an iBook 500 Combo drive and I'd love to put Panther on it, but I think upgrading the HD should accompany that move. Right now, it has the original 10GB in it. Can this be done? Is it difficult? Should I have someone professionally install it? I've installed in HDs in all models of iMac before the flatscreen version one so I'm pretty comfortable rummaging around inside small computer spaces. Also, where should I go to buy a new HD? What are the good (and cheap) websites that sell this sort of thing. I'd like something in the 40-60GB range.

Thanks,
D

sniffer
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 03:22 PM

If I remember correctly you should just look for a 2.5" 9.5mm drive. I think you can buy 80 gigs HD's by now.
I am into upgrading my self sometime in the near future. I got my new 40 gigs on saturday by mail. If you search for "hardrive" I think here at the iBook forum I know you'll find links to articles describing how it's done.
All I need now is to find the right tools for the job, and gather a little curage.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

sniffer
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 03:27 PM

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 11:32 AM

I installed a 30gig in my daughters dual usb ibook last march. Pretty difficult-yes. But it can be done with great care and organization (of the different size screws you remove). I didn't rush; and kept track of where everything went (small paper cups).
I believe I followed (with success) a Macworld article from early 2003 or late 2002 on the subject. I was EXTREMELY gradified, that, I had done it myself-without damaging the external surface. Be patient. Double-check every step-and then check again. And be extremely careful of the trackpad and keyboard ribbon cable. My palms are beginning to sweat all over again! Good luck!

Newegg.com had good prices at the time.
"Sometimes you're the bug....Sometimes the windshield"

snct
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Kahpoosta Kid:

Newegg.com had good prices at the time.
I second the reference to Newegg . That's where I got a 7200rpm 40GB HD (IBM, I think). The rpm speed bump was quite noticeable... I loved the performance of the machine after the upgrade.

As has been said before; just take your time and be careful with the different sized screws. Good luck!
--Steve

rytc
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 04:12 AM

I recently upgraded the 10GB drive in my clamshell to a new 40GB drive. The old one was driving me up the wall with its pulsating whining noise, the silence of this new one is amazing. The plug on my modem was also coming loose so I took the opportunity with the computer apart to fix that also. The whole procedure isn't too hard, I printed out the guide and stuck the screws onto the images as I went, meaning it was pretty easy to put back together, with no leftover screws
cheers Ry

stew
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 06:35 AM

I cahnged the HD of a friend's iBook this weekend. It's doable, but take your time. Prepare on spending a whole afternoon on it (including software installation) and don't hurry. Keep track of all the screws you remove and get proper tools - esp the screws behind the CD drive will require a small screwdriver and lots of patience.

Stink different.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2003, 10:09 PM

If you don't want to do it yourself, this company will do it for you. They also sell combo drive and DVD-RW drive upgrades.
http://www.mcetech.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules