Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Encoding for iPod

Encoding for iPod
snct
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 11:12 PM

I used the freeware app WireTap to record a song from streaming audio the other day (in .aiff format). When I listened to the song in iTunes it was fine, but when I tried to listen to it on my iPod it wouldn't play at all .

I'd read somewhere that the iPod only plays a certain range of encoded media, based on sampling rate. WireTap does have settings for this sort of thing, but I'm not sure what settings I should be using to ensure that what I record with it will play on the iPod. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
--Steve

proton
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 11:41 PM

In the advanced menu of iTunes, there is an option to convert the selected song(s) to the format the iTunes is setup to encode in. This will usually be either MP3 or AAC (unless you specifically chose something else).

Just click on the song in question, choose "Convert selection to <MP3|AAC>" and the song will be converted, with a new copy of it placed in your library.

- proton

mishap
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by snct:
I used the freeware app WireTap to record a song from streaming audio the other day (in .aiff format). When I listened to the song in iTunes it was fine, but when I tried to listen to it on my iPod it wouldn't play at all .

I'd read somewhere that the iPod only plays a certain range of encoded media, based on sampling rate. WireTap does have settings for this sort of thing, but I'm not sure what settings I should be using to ensure that what I record with it will play on the iPod. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

iPod plays .AIFF format and if it transfers to your iPod it should play fine, usually iTunes tells you when you transfer a song if it can play or not. Unless, of course, you turn those warnings off.

-Q-
Nov 14, 2003, 12:25 PM

I think WireTap uses a compressed format of .aiff in it's recordings that has caused some trouble with certain applications. I'd convert it to MP3 and see how the iPod handles it.

snct  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2003, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by proton:
In the advanced menu of iTunes, there is an option to convert the selected song(s) to the format the iTunes is setup to encode in. This will usually be either MP3 or AAC (unless you specifically chose something else).

Just click on the song in question, choose "Convert selection to <MP3|AAC>" and the song will be converted, with a new copy of it placed in your library.

- proton
Thanks! Converting the track over to MP3 did the trick .

iPod plays .AIFF format and if it transfers to your iPod it should play fine, usually iTunes tells you when you transfer a song if it can play or not. Unless, of course, you turn those warnings off.
This may be a new feature, as I know this was not true for earlier versions of iTunes. I had some voice recordings that came with my iBook a couple of years ago (speeches) and none of them worked on the iPod, even though they did copy over to the device (no warnings either). That was when I found out about the iPod only working with certain sampling rates.
--Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules