Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > HP POd: Blue... and Fugly.

HP POd: Blue... and Fugly.
AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2004, 05:45 PM

http://www.macminute.com/2004/01/09/hpipod

Yuck!

Note: POd= iPod/P'd off, and I'd link to Macnn if they had this story yet.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2004, 05:49 PM

Ho Yeah! That's one skanky pod!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 05:53 PM

Steve Jobs and Carly Fiorina just finalized the deal late Wednesday evening. Do you guys really think they've actually manufactured one yet ... or did someone just do a crappy photoshop job on a picture of Steve Jobs holding up a regular iPod? I mean, let's do the math people.

OAW

Update: Well I stand corrected. Looks like it's the real deal. And yes, it is fugly!

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 05:53 PM

Wow, so that's what happens to iPods when you don't let them play music and it's all pent up inside...

So is the HP one called an HPod?
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

AB^2=BCxAC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2004, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
Steve Jobs and Carly Fiorina just finalized the deal late Wednesday evening. Do you guys really think they've actually manufactured one yet ... or did someone just do a crappy photoshop job on a picture of Steve Jobs holding up a regular iPod? I mean, let's do the math people.

OAW
It's real. It's a prototype the CEO of HP/Compaq unveiled this afternoon. There's video of the beast, too, if you'd like to say that it's a crappy Shake job as well. Later: I notice OAW saw the video and now fully agrees. Nice.

Again, I'm glad I missed my shoes. When I puked from this blight.

edit: Can you imagine dorks with crappy blue headphones now? They'll look like a crappy "I have no taste" badge and I'll have to start spitting on these random people. Seriously, this is damaging my good-feeling associations the iPod use to carry for me!
( Last edited by AB^2=BCxAC; Jan 9, 2004 at 06:04 PM. )
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 06:00 PM

auch

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2004, 06:16 PM

Disgusting. It'll make Apple money but its going to hurt them later.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 06:30 PM

I'm still amazed in this day and age that companies fight MS and each other just to get an icon on the desktop.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 06:35 PM

I really think this is going to tarnish the Apple iPod image.

joe_kr
Jan 9, 2004, 06:38 PM

quandarry
Jan 9, 2004, 06:38 PM

isn't this thread redundant?

never mind the funny name calling.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2004, 06:40 PM

Did they kill a "Smurf" and smush it's body into that blue pile of mess?

Get the new HP iPod in wonderful "Casket Smurf" blue...

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 06:51 PM

The HP Digital Music Player is in "hp blue"

I mean, come on people, there are only TWO DIFFERENCES:

The color
and the hp logo on the back

So, just because something has color, it is bad? We should cast it out, just because it is a little different, but it is THE SAME ON THE INSIDE. Let's take a lesson from the past, and open our minds!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Did they kill a "Smurf" and smush it's body into that blue pile of mess?

Get the new HP iPod in wonderful "Casket Smurf" blue...
if so they didn't use smurtette...she was a hot piece of ass *LOL*

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

fireside
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2004, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
So, just because something has color, it is bad? We should cast it out, just because it is a little different, but it is THE SAME ON THE INSIDE. Let's take a lesson from the past, and open our minds!
maybe you're color blind or something, but the color on the HPod looks like sh�t.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2004, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
if so they didn't use smurtette...she was a hot piece of ass *LOL*
Not as hot as Judy Jetson...

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2004, 07:25 PM

Not as hot as Elroy...

oops.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2004, 08:14 PM

Nah... just crack the case & repaint.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 08:37 PM

I'll match all of HP's other products and like is stated it's a prototype. Most likely they'll give it to some focus groups who'll go hmmm? and they'll change it to either grey or something else, or it could just be a bad photo. They should really just make it a blue grey and give it shiny metal buttons and it'd work fine.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 08:49 PM

i bet it's nicer than that pic ...

when they have some decent product shots of it i think it'll look cool

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 08:57 PM

It'll be like the dark heathen iPod... wonder if apple wants them to make it non mac compatible... or would they care?

I'm wondering how much of this was HP and how much was Apple seriously. Some people question this but it makes a ton of sense to me, Microsoft got huge by letting everyone use their tech, that's how they're trying to win the online music wars going against HP though is gona be quite funny since they are #2 by a very close margin to Dell and of all the creativish people who use PCs I imagine HP wins over Dell. So Microsoft has Dell and Apple has HP... this should be quite the funny deal. I'd love to see IBM start putting iTunes on their PCs you know help out apple a bit go against Microsoft...

I think both companies have a lot to gain HP gets to make it clear that they're not gona be owned my M$, and Apple gets to go bigger time against microsoft.

Does anyone notice all the companies lately that have been doing things that help apple a fair bit against M$?

IBM with the G5
HP with this
Sun's recent praise of Apple
AOL with iTunes
AOL with iChat
Sony hasn't done much aside from adopting Firewire...

mishap
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
i bet it's nicer than that pic ...

when they have some decent product shots of it i think it'll look cool

i heard they just sealed the deal wednesday night...

this is not what the real one will actually look like...

may be close

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 09:24 PM

The paint still looks wet.
I, ASIMO.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 09:34 PM

It's got Microsoft in a major tiff and Dell's upset as well.

Obviously there is something good about this deal. :-)

( I've likewise heard that a top priority at HP is to get the WMA format to work on these iPods ... that might be a coup in itself. One unit that can play music from any source! )

But: "HP Digital Media Player" ??? That was the hippest name they could come up with?

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2004, 09:42 PM

The big question: how much, and in what sizes?

Though it looks like it'll wait till June...

But yeah, it looks like a regular iPod, but blurry and hazy.

Bleh.

Cipher13
Jan 9, 2004, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
and like is stated it's a prototype.
Bingo.

Chicken has it right.

Don't worry about the colour. Anyway... I wonder if Apple will let HP do multiple colours? That could bode poorly for Apple's own sales...

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 11:22 PM

These look much better

http://www.colorwarepc.com/
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2004, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by driven:
But: "HP Digital Media Player" ??? That was the hippest name they could come up with?
I'm quite certain HP doesn't do "hip" very well ...

snct
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2004, 12:02 AM

I think it's a good idea, marketing wise. And yeah; it's gotta have some color, as it can't be white like Apple's.

Oh and forget the Smurfette and Judy Jetson... I saw the video and HP's got the hottest CEO I've ever seen .
--Steve

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 10, 2004, 01:41 AM

It doesn't look THAT bad. Almost like a lighter hue of the Sawtooth G4 graphite color. I think the clashing blues of the pod and the navy blue background make it look worse than it is.

Using the product shots from that ColorWare site, I changed the hue to match that of the original one posted:

A lot better than any of the iPod mini colors, IMO. Except silver of course.

If i had the cash, I'd buy a nice white Apple one, any day. But if the HP one was sold at a lower price with lower capacity, I sure as hell would buy one. However, one has to realize that Apple wouldn't do anything to cannibalize sales of the "#1 Selling MP3 Device" at the moment, so i doubt HP will sell them at any significant difference than the ones that Apple currently does. But then again, Apple would be profiting by expanding the iPod/iTMS platform in general.

We'll see what the strategy is, come June I guess.

Insecure bone
Banned
Jan 10, 2004, 07:34 PM

I really hate seeing this. Apple is losing their touch. Why would they sell their product design to HP? That is going to detract from the uniqueness of Apples iPOD. HP-Pod? Come on...this is HP were talking about. I think Apple is making some bad choices lately, and are a bit desperate to make money. Why else would they make such an obscene deal with a PC manufacturer? I hope this isn't the future of Apple to come....HPbook, HPowerbook G4s, and HPMacs. *shudder* What's next? An iMac with a Windows logo on it?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2004, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Insecure bone:
I really hate seeing this. Apple is losing their touch. Why would they sell their product design to HP? That is going to detract from the uniqueness of Apples iPOD. HP-Pod? Come on...this is HP were talking about. I think Apple is making some bad choices lately, and are a bit desperate to make money. Why else would they make such an obscene deal with a PC manufacturer? I hope this isn't the future of Apple to come....HPbook, HPowerbook G4s, and HPMacs. *shudder* What's next? An iMac with a Windows logo on it?
I don't see much bad in this.

I do see this as a very effective way to torpedo Microsoft's DRM plans. :-)

Hey .. Microsoft and Dell are reportedly very upset by this deal, so it can't be all bad.
(I used to like Dell, but their customer service has gone to pot over the past few months ... so much so that I'd not buy anything from them until they straighten it out.)

Insecure bone
Banned
Jan 11, 2004, 10:03 PM

I agree, I agree, I just wish Apple might have made the deal with a company other than HP. My preferance isn't HP, maybe others like HP. If it gets M$ a little frightened, maybe that's a good thing.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2004, 10:46 PM

HP is an innovative company who has a big bone to pick with Dell who is also getting into the digital music biz. HP is a lot like IBM they have a LOT of fields, and Apple getting them on their side is very good for Apple. Look at what having IBM on their side got us? HP has a LOT of higher end tech and they have their own people doing all kinds of stuff, HP is a better company to have as a friend than a foe.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2004, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
HP is an innovative company who has a big bone to pick with Dell who is also getting into the digital music biz. HP is a lot like IBM they have a LOT of fields, and Apple getting them on their side is very good for Apple. Look at what having IBM on their side got us? HP has a LOT of higher end tech and they have their own people doing all kinds of stuff, HP is a better company to have as a friend than a foe.
Agreed. (And I hate every single thing about HP ... but I'd rather have them as a friend.)

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2004, 11:38 PM

You mean clones? Like, companies other than Apple will sell computer that can run the Mac OS.. well, i bet that there would have to be some sort of licensing deal..

oh,
wait a sec...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2004, 11:59 PM

It's funny. Apple people complain about the low market share but also complain when Apple makes moves to increase that market share. "Detract from the uniqueness" of the iPod? How? EVERYONE knows it's Apple's. Despite the HP logo on the back (where few people look) it will still display the Apple logo at boot up (where EVERYONE looks).

Forum Links
Forum Rules