Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > When will the nano get more storage?

When will the nano get more storage?
Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2005, 08:23 AM

Not a jab at the Nano in the least.
I love the looks of this machine and want to pick up my own, but I would love more storage space and just wondering how long you guys think the wait will be?
I have a second gen 20GB now but the battery life is going and going. I would love even a 10gig version of the Nano.

What do you guys think?
Who reads this???

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2005, 08:27 AM

Depends on how well they sell. Maybe next summer. Or early spring as part 2 of bridging the wait between PPC and Mactel.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2005, 08:38 AM

That might be too far for me...lol
I might settle with the 4gig. It would be a big change from the 20gig I have now.....Maybe I should just get a new battery.
Who reads this???

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2005, 09:47 AM

How much of the music on your 20 GB do you actually listen to on a daily basis? 4 GB is plenty of room to carry around songs for a week at least. When you get tired of the music - load up new tunes. I have a 20GB and Nano and the music on the Nano is plenty. 20 GB is overkill - I see no reason to carry ones ENTIRE music collection around in an MP3 player.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 15, 2005, 10:06 AM

1,000 songs is plenty to work with.
To answer your question... maybe 18-24 months?

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2005, 10:41 AM

There is more then enough music obviously for how much I use it, but I love not haveing to decide what music I want with me.....I can just grab a huge chunk and pick what I want on an average day.

I am also looking for some answers to the battery replacment program, but the more I look at the black nano, the more I need.
Who reads this???

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Sep 18, 2005, 04:15 PM

I assume you would have to wait until the manufacturers make 6GB and 8GB flash memory cards available. I have no idea on the flash market myself. I agree with you, Dracle, I have a 20GB iPod and like a lot of songs to choose from whenever I want without going home to transfer them from my computer to the iPod.
I wonder if they are going to close the gap eventually. The iPods start at 512 mb to 4GB then begin at 20GB - 60GB. What happened to the 10GB and 15GB range?
The larger iPods are also good travel companions on the plane, in the car, or on a cruise. I would buy either the Nano or Shuffle based on exercise and quick trips downtown.

volcano
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 02:47 AM

ApeInTheShell is right - we'll all have to wait until manufactures actual start creating 6GB & 8GB flash memory cards available. Until the Nano was introduced, 2GB flash players were few and far between - and 4GB flash players are pretty much non-existen, except for the Nano. It's amazing they've come this far when it comes to engineering in such a short amount of time.

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 04:00 AM

I read somewhere that a dissection of the 4GB nano showed it is actually two 2-GB flash chips inside the 4GB model. The 2GB nano had a single 2GB flash chip in it.

So maybe when the 4GB flash chips get mass produced, we might see an 8GB model. I don't recall seeing 3GB flash chips in production so it would be strange to make a 6GB nano.

Well, one of the reasons I would like an 8GB nano is because I tend to use 192+ kbps AAC and/or Apple Lossless. The 4GB nano can hold 1000 songs if you had 128 kbps music files.

I am one of those folks who would rather listen to complete albums. I like to download complete albums from my iTunes library to my iPod and listen to the CDs the way the artists intended.

Some songs lose their meaning when placed out of context. For example, Bruce Springsteen's "Tunnel of Love" dealt with alot of the things the Boss was going through in a divorce. Jackson Browne's "I'm Alive" dealt with the breakup of his relationship to long-time girlfriend Daryl Hannah. Chris Issaks's "Forever Blue"was about the breakup of an unnamed long-time girlfriend. You get the picture.

So to cherry-pick singles would do some of these songs an injustice when taken out of context.

I have my 20GB iPod photo for my albums download. But I only average about 6-7GBs because I tend to encode at a high bitrate.

My nano should be arriving soon and I'm gonna use that one for playing hot "singles". But I still prefer the album concept.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 19, 2005, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa
How much of the music on your 20 GB do you actually listen to on a daily basis? 4 GB is plenty of room to carry around songs for a week at least. When you get tired of the music - load up new tunes. I have a 20GB and Nano and the music on the Nano is plenty. 20 GB is overkill - I see no reason to carry ones ENTIRE music collection around in an MP3 player.
Some of us don't like 128 bit encoding.

I would enjoy carying my entire CD collection. I can rarely tell what music mood I will be in later in the day. Some of us don't have access to our collections for 12 or more hours at a time and don't want to resync everyday. It's a hassle.

The reason I ordered a 60GB iPod is that I encode my music at 256 bit and I have a little over 300 CDs. I am gone each day for 12 hours or more and can't access my computer. Plus I have a 2 week old and a 2 year old and have periods where I don't touch my computer for a few days at a time.

To each his own.

EDIT: Also, the 60GB is the best value in a GB/$ comparison. Size means very little to me, the 60GB is perfect for me.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 19, 2005, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by wilsonng
Some songs lose their meaning when placed out of context. For example, Bruce Springsteen's "Tunnel of Love" dealt with alot of the things the Boss was going through in a divorce. Jackson Browne's "I'm Alive" dealt with the breakup of his relationship to long-time girlfriend Daryl Hannah. Chris Issaks's "Forever Blue"was about the breakup of an unnamed long-time girlfriend. You get the picture.

So to cherry-pick singles would do some of these songs an injustice when taken out of context.
I agree completely. Some songs a nice when played alone, but paired up and played in the order the artist placed them on the album can give a completely new meaning to a listening session.

Heather Nova places her songs very well together and fill my heart with deep emotion when played together in order.

But then there are the occassions when a shuffle is warranted such as when playing party music.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2005, 04:37 AM

Uhh, all your examples were about love lost. That's kind of depressing, don't you think?
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 09:04 PM

Well, the easiest emotion to stir up is anger. I can give plenty of examples of CDs that feature kill, kill, kill, die, die, die from my CD collection if you like. Or worse yet, pick up an old N.W.A CD. The themes of the criminal life (or reality according to some folks) are prevalent in there. Or just listen to some plain old my-head-is-in-the-gutter music like the classic 2 Live Crew's "As Nasty As They Wanna Be". The title alone should tell you what's on their minds.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2005, 09:18 PM

Well, the easiest emotion to stir up is anger. I can give plenty of examples of CDs that feature kill, kill, kill, die, die, die from my CD collection if you like. Or worse yet, pick up an old N.W.A CD. The themes of the criminal life (or reality according to some folks) are prevalent in there. Or just listen to some plain old my-head-is-in-the-gutter music like the classic 2 Live Crew's "As Nasty As They Wanna Be". The title alone should tell you what's on their minds.
OK. I was just a little worried that maybe your gf broke up with you or something like that. I was prepared to host a MacNN suicide watch or something like that.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 09:37 PM

Don't worry but thanks for the concern. R.E.M.'s "Shiny Happy People" and The B-52's "Love Shack" is in my playlist to balance everything out.

porieux
Baninated
Sep 19, 2005, 11:02 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:31 AM. )

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 11:36 PM

I've got a friend that has multiple iPods with different playlists.

So he just picks up the iPod that fancies his mood - Hard Rock iPod, Slow Jams iPod, Bootie Call iPod, etc.

I know a guy who carries one of those laptop PCs that had the external speakers towards the front of the keyboard wrist rest area. The speakers are exposed even when it is closed and it has a little LED screen for him to use as a regular audio CD player. He has it closed and just plays mp3s while walking around. He's the office runner so he has to have the laptop to access his documents when he is off-site. It's the world's most expensive and heaviest mp3 player weighing in at 7 pounds and $2,500 but it has a 100GB hard drive for him to lug all the music he wants.

If you really want something bad enough, you'll find a way to get it done.

porieux
Baninated
Sep 20, 2005, 12:13 AM

No doubt.

ideasculptor
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2005, 03:53 AM

I just posted a thread about the autofill action I wrote for automator which lets me autofill a random selectiong from a list of tracks (generated via a playlist or just selecting a bunch of tracks). I really like the 4GB thing, despite having a large library because I get to change the music I listen to more often. I don't care what apple says, I seem to get the same artists and tracks over and over on my 40GB ipod, and some albums never get played at all, even over the space of a month or more of all day listening. My autofill mechanism seems to be a lot more random than apple's, and 4GB is small enough that the ipod actually plays every song stored on it over the course of a week or so, so I just autofill it every 3 or 4 days. I actually prefer the smaller size, now. I still carry my 40GB when on the road, but it is set up purely as an external disk, and I keep my music library on it and use it to sync to my nano.

If interested, post a quick response on that thread.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=270266

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2005, 04:32 AM

As I said in your other thread: You don't need Automator to do that. A Smart Playlist is more than powerful (and flexible) enough.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 20, 2005, 05:31 AM

I usually like the following conditions:

Current music rotation:
Lasted played is not within last 2 months

or even something like

New Music:
Playcount is 0

Well, I'll try out your autofill

ideasculptor
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2005, 03:25 AM

It is available for download here: http://automatoractions.com/files/fi...tosize0.2.html

Just copy the .action into <your home directory>/Library/Automator

bbales
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2005, 09:33 AM

Daracie -- All questions about ipod size aside, I'm concerned about your participation in the battery program! I did this a long time ago (several months) but it seems to me you can opt for getting a $50 gift certificate (or whatever you want to call it) to the Apple store INSTEAD of a battery. In our case, we'd already replaced the battery on the 2nd G ipod, so it wouldn't make sense to get the battery replaced. (And by the way, look on the OWC site. I think the replacement battery was only $39. And that was a year ago.)

So hey, at least get your 50 bucks! It could go to a new Nano.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 21, 2005, 09:34 AM

I knw when I buy a car I always ask, but arent' they coming out with a better one soon?... I mean a week into the release of it, not 300 days... one week.... after a brand new model is introduced.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 12:45 AM

I bet an 8 or 16 GB nano comes out when Apple can source flash memory of that size and sell a device around it for $250 to $350. Last I saw, an 8 GB CF card was north of $1K, so it may be a while.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2005, 12:58 AM

I ****ing hate threads like this.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules