Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ?

Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ? (Page 6)
johnnydr87
Jul 29, 2004, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by gururafiki:
I've been frequenting these boards since 1999 (finally registered in 2001) and I too have noticed that Apple rarely ships anything on time. I'm used to that though and I have come to expect it. Considering Apple is not the only player in their hardware (ie IBM, Moto, etc.), you cannot place full blame on Apple for not shipping all their products on time.
YOu've got a point, but this happens continually for most mac products. THERES A TREND. DIDN'T YOU NOTICE? Maybe they KNOW something like this is most likely going to happen, ya know, being that the work there and all.

To say Apple has a higher product defect rate than PC's is stupid, especially if you get your conclusion from these boards. Logically, people with problems post at boards so they can get help. People without problems don't usually post about how well their computers are running becuase it is something they don't need help with.
Well, i was relating a personal experience of my sister and what i have heard a sizeable number of other mac users. I remember most recently a guy talking about the new ipod he ordered and a problem. He said that 3/4 of the past apple products he has ordered have had defects. And don't get me wrong, I'll forgive apple once they start being responsible.
Apple is aggressive, and they should stay aggressive. Without being aggressive, a business is going to have a hard time competing.

Patience will pay off, it always does.
But obviously, the aggressiveness i meant leans towards, how do you say, corporate greed on par with microsoft? eh. patience is hard thing to come by these days when you feel a little violated.
I'M GETTING MY G5 MONDAY..... I CAN FEEL IT...OK I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT, BUT I CAN DREAM CAN'T I?

DarylF2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2004, 07:44 PM

I was pushed back to 8/20 as well. I placed my order on 06/09/2004 at 06:36 AM PST...

Configuration:
Dual 2.5 GHz G5
1.0 GB RAM (2x512)
250 GB HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Bluetooth module

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 07:51 PM

Strange they didn't give anything to those who have to wait another month. A gift certificate would be nice...

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2004, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by videian28:
mine still says 7/30

Order Date
06/11/2004
01:21 PM PST

education order

2.5 with 6800/bluetooth/no modem

you guys are scaring the hell outta me, I am gonna be pissed if they change mine
You did not order a G5 config'ed with a 6800 on 6/11. I ordered my dual 2.5 w/ 9800 XT on 6/09 and a day after the 6800 was announced, I changed my order to use it. Of course we lost our place in the queue since the 6800 machine will ship after many non-6800 G5's ship. My ship date changed to 8/31 when I up'ed the vidcard. Yours seems not to - but that is an oversight on Apple's part. You can assume you're at 8/31 right now - hope it doesn't get pushed back farther.

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

NewSwitcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2004, 08:09 PM

I am a switcher. Finally the wife and I got tired of the Windows problems and decided to try something new. We chose Apple because of the ease of use and the underlying power of UNIX. We have decided last year we would switch but were afraid the same thing that happened to us in the Windows/PC environment, where we bought a machine only to see it obsolete in a month, and waited until the launch of the 2.5 GHz machine. We ordered on June 15th and got an e-mail confirmation it would be shipped on or before 07/30. Great! We were on track to get something new and the timing is perfect as our Windows machine is giving signs it will give up on us any time now, forcing a complete re-install (for those of you that do not remember, yes every so often Windows, even XP, does require a re-install). Then the first e-mail came back from Apple. The date was now 08/09. No big deal, we would still get our machine approximately at the time we wanted it. We even had a pleasant surprise with the monitor change Apple had given us (from the old 23-inch one to the new one). Today, complete disappointment. The date has been pushed back to 09/03. I am not sure my current machine will survive that long and because the PC (almost four years old) did not come with a rescue CD, it means we will have to buy software (specially the OS) if we are forced to re-install. We ordered a Dual 2.5 GHz with 1GB and 250GB of disk. Nothing else is special about it. Needless to say this is not how I expected to begin our venture into the Apple world. I know it is probably worth the wait but almost two months with two delays inbetween frustrated me and I wanted to share with you.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by NewSwitcher:
<snip>
I know it is probably worth the wait but almost two months with two delays inbetween frustrated me and I wanted to share with you.
I encounter the same problem with my rev.A Dual 2 GHz G5. Ship date got pushed back a few times, and the only option on it was a 250 gb hd. Yes, it is frustrating, but all that goes away when Fed Ex shows up on your doorstep with that nice black box with silver G5's on it. Then it's kid in a candy store! You'll love it, and it'll be worth the wait.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 08:44 PM

I'll address things point-by-point here:

1. In the case of the Xserves and PowerMacs, those were not under Apple's control. Those were due to chip yields (how many good chips leave the factory) at IBM. Intel isn't exactly faring much better. Remember the 3.6 GHz Pentium 4? It took several weeks, at a minimum, before ANY of them showed up. I'm still not sure if they're actually available in decent quantity.

2. Don't use the forum as a gauge for how often problems occur. Remember, the forum is for "troubleshooting and discussion." Most people don't pipe in to say "everything's just fine!" Apple's actually fairly good as far as tech support goes (the last report card I saw for it gave them an A), and I've heard of plenty of nightmares from users of computers from Compaq, Dell, Gateway, etc. How about a Dell laptop buyer finding out that there's no power cord, and being asked to restart his computer by someone in Bangalore he can barely understand?

3. Apple is somewhat visionary, but I think people do tend to exaggerate their brilliance. Remember that they're still 'mere mortals.' They still want to make a profit, and they can only control manufacturing to some degree.

4. Apple does share some traits of Microsoft, but they're still much better. First is that they don't immediately panic at the thought of publically-available code or universal standards. Darwin (the core of OS X) is open-source; the rendering engine for Safari is open-source, and Apple even submits changes back to the community to help them. Apple supports universal audio and video codes where possible: they're big fans of MPEG-4 (which includes the AAC audio format).

So in short: Apple might not be perfect, but they're either not alone or better than many alternatives.

Originally posted by johnnydr87:
you know, i've been frequenting boards since april and i always here lone apple customers who aren't afraid to say what apple did to them, here's what i gathered:

1) Apple can't ship new items on time: ipods, xserves, powermacs, etc.

2)Apple products seem to have a higher defective rate than pcs (even my sister's first mac, as well as the whole family's, was defective on arrival)

3) I used to view apple as a visionary company and wanted to help their vision, but they seem to consistently screw over their customers....maybe because their customers are diehard loyalists who will always forgive.

4) apple is incredibly aggressive and shows so many of the same signs of why people hate microsoft, it's just that they're not as influential as microsoft yet.

I'm beginning to wonder if my optimism for macs blinded me these past few months... other than for media editing, what good is it? you have to jump hoops just to get some of the pc programs you need as well as other hoops since its market share is a whopping 1-2 %.

I know i'm just angry right now, and perhaps my rationale is blemished. we'll see how i feel in a few hours when I've calmed down.
 24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 08:49 PM

I am a switcher. Finally the wife and I got tired of the Windows problems and decided to try something new. We chose Apple because of the ease of use and the underlying power of UNIX. We have decided last year we would switch but were afraid the same thing that happened to us in the Windows/PC environment, where we bought a machine only to see it obsolete in a month, and waited until the launch of the 2.5 GHz machine. We ordered on June 15th and got an e-mail confirmation it would be shipped on or before 07/30. Great! We were on track to get something new and the timing is perfect as our Windows machine is giving signs it will give up on us any time now, forcing a complete re-install (for those of you that do not remember, yes every so often Windows, even XP, does require a re-install). Then the first e-mail came back from Apple. The date was now 08/09. No big deal, we would still get our machine approximately at the time we wanted it. We even had a pleasant surprise with the monitor change Apple had given us (from the old 23-inch one to the new one). Today, complete disappointment. The date has been pushed back to 09/03. I am not sure my current machine will survive that long and because the PC (almost four years old) did not come with a rescue CD, it means we will have to buy software (specially the OS) if we are forced to re-install. We ordered a Dual 2.5 GHz with 1GB and 250GB of disk. Nothing else is special about it. Needless to say this is not how I expected to begin our venture into the Apple world. I know it is probably worth the wait but almost two months with two delays inbetween frustrated me and I wanted to share with you.
NewSwitcher,

As someone who had the same exact revelation as you did, but back in 1999.. I can assure you... YES IT's WORTH IT!!

Don't let these guys get you down. This dual 2.5 is the latest and greatest and will be a top performer for you for well over 6 years.

My current dual 500mhz G4 which I bought 66 months ago is just now getting to where I feel it's too slow, but frankly compared to a widows box of the same vintage, it smokes! ...and so does OS X. Best of all, I will be selling it for about $600-700 with a 17" CRT, try that with a 5 year old PC (you'd be lucky to get a $40 donation credit on your tax return for it!). As a matter of fact I recently sold my 2002 model Aptiva 1.8Ghz P4 box and 17" screen for a whopping $200. This tell you that Mac's are a long term investment (as much as possible for being hi-tech). Keep waiting, and this machine will impress you, trust me.

I hope you got the new screen and a good graphics card with it... the rig I got will be with 23" and the 6800, and I'm sure Apple will ship it before 8/31. If they don't I'll eat my own words right here in this thread.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:

So in short: Apple might not be perfect, but they're either not alone or better than many alternatives.
Amen Brother!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
Apple user since 1981

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2004, 09:24 PM

Maybe it's that good ol' Canadian laid-back, patient heritage, but I'm not really mad, disappointed yes. I'll just have to make do a couple weeks longer with my dual G4 800. Also it is on or before Aug. 20, 2004, it could arrive next week sometime for all we know.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2004, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
Maybe it's that good ol' Canadian laid-back, patient heritage, but I'm not really mad, disappointed yes. I'll just have to make do a couple weeks longer with my dual G4 800. Also it is on or before Aug. 20, 2004, it could arrive next week sometime for all we know.
hey....i think we canadians must have the same upgrade cycle....i've a dual 800 and a dual 2.5 on the way (soon i hope) to replace it.

i can certainly wait another 3 weeks or so...no big deal...i'd rather have it tomorrow but i am not going to rant about it and say apple is crap and i'm buying a dell blah blah blah
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

johnnydr87
Jul 29, 2004, 11:26 PM

ok my anger's gone.

just watched kerry's speech and reminded me of more important things. (i know i'll get flamed by republicans, but eh.)
I'M GETTING MY G5 MONDAY..... I CAN FEEL IT...OK I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT, BUT I CAN DREAM CAN'T I?

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 11:38 PM

ok my anger's gone.

just watched kerry's speech and reminded me of more important things.

yeah... like making sure Kerry remains a senator!
Apple user since 1981

johnnydr87
Jul 29, 2004, 11:40 PM

sending bush back to texas!

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 11:43 PM

sending bush back to texas!

it's gonna be close either way...

I'm voting for Bush with my nose plugged, frankly I think he's been a minor disaster, but I fear Kerry would be a major one!

Anyway, back to the Mac... 8/31 (31 more days, and counting!)
Apple user since 1981

johnnydr87
Jul 29, 2004, 11:51 PM

kerry will be like clinton, who was undeniably better than bush! Economy, foreign policy, everything-wise.

oh yes, macs. 8/20

I'M GETTING MY ORDER MONDAY THOUGH. I CAN FEEL IT. CHARGE MY CARD ALREADY!

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2004, 01:38 AM

Apple's reputation for poor logistics and broken promises is appalling. I, for one, am getting pretty sick of riding this BS.

2.5, 8GB, 500GB, Radeon 9800XT, Bluetooth, Gigabit PCI-X, AirPort Extreme, no modem. AppleCare and .Mac subscription added. Ordered on 10.6.04, with no delivery in sight. Yes, this is costing my company over 9KEUR, and it's costing me my patience.

How typical of Steve Jobs, over-promise and under-deliver. He's the greatest con man of the technology industry, bar none.

Maybe the 6800 and 30" CDHD ordered on 16.7.04, totaling over 4KEUR, will actually arrive before the G5 does.

johnnydr87
Jul 30, 2004, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by haunebu:
Apple's reputation for poor logistics and broken promises is appalling. I, for one, am getting pretty sick of riding this BS.

2.5, 8GB, 500GB, Radeon 9800XT, Bluetooth, Gigabit PCI-X, AirPort Extreme, no modem. AppleCare and .Mac subscription added. Ordered on 10.6.04, with no delivery in sight. Yes, this is costing my company over 9KEUR, and it's costing me my patience.

How typical of Steve Jobs, over-promise and under-deliver. He's the greatest con man of the technology industry, bar none.

Maybe the 6800 and 30" CDHD ordered on 16.7.04, totaling over 4KEUR, will actually arrive before the G5 does.
I feel your pain...i like steve so much more because he grew up in a struggling family and made it to the top.....but sometimes his demeanor get me angry

right now i'm trying to be optimistic though! wooo..... my order will ship monday! i smell it. As for your order... good luck

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 02:50 AM

Here's my situation which I post for comparison with yours:

1. Ordered 2.5 with Nvidia
2. Ship date lists END of August
3. Credit account tested the other day

I expect to get this in September even though the credit account testing is going on. It's time to be patient and wait this out. This will likely play out just like last year: September-October (I hope not October!) for most of the orders.

Oh yeah:

4. I'll be voting for Big George in November! I love that guy's personality. Love him or hate him, you have to admit he's got personality in spades. On PBS' Democratic coverage tonight they were affirming this when they said,

"The public doesn't seem to love Kerry as a candidate. Do they need to love him? People don't need to love Kerry -- just respect him. It would be wrong for him to try to compete with Bush for charm because he can't out-charm Bush. Bush is very natural. If Kerry tried that he would end up looking disingenuous like Gore did in 2000."

And I'm so, so, so glad that Big Al is at Apple's board where he can do little harm. I like Kerry much more than crazy Al, but they both have Apple's problem: Over promise and under deliver. Wouldn't you like to see an Al Gore/Howard Dean ticket? Now that would be a show. Who would dispense the meds for them?

johnnydr87
Jul 30, 2004, 03:11 AM

And I'm so, so, so glad that Big Al is at Apple's board where he can do little harm. I like Kerry much more than crazy Al, but they both have Apple's problem: Over promise and under deliver. Wouldn't you like to see an Al Gore/Howard Dean ticket? Now that would be a show. Who would dispense the meds for them?
Funny guy. Sort of like with the no child left behind act (under funded) and the war on terror (over promised and under deliver)? Or the environment?

oh btw, steve jobs advised kerry on.... idon't remember it was an article from a few weeks ago

DougAA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 05:21 AM

Here's the experience of myself and my brother with our online orders.

My brother ordered a dual 2.5 machine from the Apple Store for Education on 6/11. The original shipping date was 7/30, and yesterday it was changed to 8/20.

I ordered a dual 2.5 machine and a 23" display from the ADC Apple Store on 7/2. The 23" display shipped on 7/27 (can't wait to get it!). The dual 2.5 orginally had a shipping date of 7/30, and within the last few hours was changed to 9/13.

Both our machines have the Radeon 9600 XT card.

The delay is really disappointing, but I can't say I'm very surprised, given Apple's history of shipping new high-end machines.

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2004, 06:51 AM

Ok, I started this thread and I believe something has gone wrong with my order. Help me out.

I ordered my G5 2.5 on 6/9, and gave my ccard. A few days later an Apple "hold" or "verification" for a similar sum appeared on my card. Not a charge, but a hold of sorts. Great. I signed up for my ccard's on-line tools to be able to monitor the card.

So I tried to login to the ccard tools the other day and could not. I called and they said the card had not been activiated yet. (!) Well...I'd been using it for years and it had never been a prob. It turns out they sent me a NEW card (same ccard #, new exp, date) even tho my old card was 1 year out from expiration. The new card had to be activated before I could use the online tools again. The women on the phone helped me out and I was then able to login to the online tools.

But the Apple hold is gone.

I wonder if the card had, for some days, been unusable due to this odd inactive state it fell into, even though the old card, with the same account number, had a year left before expiration.

Do you guys who ordered within a few days of 6/9 still have that Apple hold, or is it now gone, as mine is?? I called in in late June to change the order to contain a GeForce 6800, but after I had done this the hold remained in place for some time.

Thanks.

blakespot

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 09:18 AM

quote:Originally posted by videian28:
mine still says 7/30

Order Date
06/11/2004
01:21 PM PST

education order

2.5 with 6800/bluetooth/no modem

you guys are scaring the hell outta me, I am gonna be pissed if they change mine

You did not order a G5 config'ed with a 6800 on 6/11. I ordered my dual 2.5 w/ 9800 XT on 6/09 and a day after the 6800 was announced, I changed my order to use it. Of course we lost our place in the queue since the 6800 machine will ship after many non-6800 G5's ship. My ship date changed to 8/31 when I up'ed the vidcard. Yours seems not to - but that is an oversight on Apple's part. You can assume you're at 8/31 right now - hope it doesn't get pushed back farther.

blakespot
I originally ordered on that date, when the 6800 came out I called the apple store and had them change my configuration, they kept my original date. I would not have done so if it would have changed my ship date, I verified with them that it would not change before I did this.

my date was pushed back to 8/20 along with EVERYONE who had a 7/30 ship date

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2004, 09:40 AM

I originally ordered on that date, when the 6800 came out I called the apple store and had them change my configuration, they kept my original date. I would not have done so if it would have changed my ship date, I verified with them that it would not change before I did this.

my date was pushed back to 8/20 along with EVERYONE who had a 7/30 ship date
Yes, but what I am saying is, it was widely known that Apple would not even receive any of the 6800 Ultra parts from nVIDIA until August. Apple has stated this repeatedly. Obviously your phone support person was misinformed or doing a poor job if he verbally confirmed that the date would not move to 8/31 and/or there was a glitch in the process of changing your order the the 6800 Ultra part. I saw your post about this weeks ago and it was obvious to me that you were deluding yourself with a bit of wishful thinking backed by a clear glitched ship estimate from Apple. Where did you picture the 6800 Ultra coming from in the order you believed might arrive within the month of July?

I ordered my 2.5GHz G5 on 6/9 and changed it to 6800 Ultra on 6/29. My est. ship date, like most making this move, went to 8/31/04. I'm going to bet that I get my G5 + 6800 Ultra before yours arrives even.

Not to sound angry or rageful, it's just that I've long looked with amusement at your belief that you would somehow end up with a 6800 Ultra a month or so before Apple receives them.

blakespot

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 09:42 AM

Blake there are alot of people who did the exact same thing I did, and kept thier ship dates, this push back was for EVERYONE, not just certain people

I am not sure whats so difficult about this.... so they were wrong and got some 6800's early? just like they were wrong on the ship dates on so many other items...it works both ways

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 09:59 AM

Quite frankly, I think that Apple's a victim of forces beyond their control primarily - their tendency towards optimistic shipping dates just makes things sound worse.

Right now there seems to be a perpetual shortage of cutting-edge processors. Intel and IBM are the most conspicuous examples (I don't think AMD even has a 90 nm chip on the market yet!). Video processor manufacturers aren't doing much better. Trying to find a GeForce 6800 Ultra or an X800 XT in the Windows market right now is like pulling the teeth from a shark... if you somehow manage it, don't be surprised if someone bites your head off.

I have to admit, though, that I'm not sure what I'd do if they bumped my 8/31 ship date significantly further ahead (i.e. more than 1-2 weeks). I'll be in a Master's program in September, and having to start loading up a new system in the middle of classes isn't terribly convenient. I'd be half-tempted to just upgrade my laptop sooner than expected.

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 10:10 AM

Commodus, it's the tactics used that bugs me the most, for 1 1/2 months we have been told over and over again that the date would be firm (I called them and verified) then 12 hours before the shipping date we all get a 3 week "oops" that's a load of crap, it was done intentionally to lessen the blow of how long it will be, hold off till the last minute..

but we the faithful will wait... dunno what I will do if they delay again, it definatly will not be the first time, this happens over and over with all thier new products

it's getting rediculous

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2004, 10:20 AM

Blake there are alot of people who did the exact same thing I did, and kept thier ship dates, this push back was for EVERYONE, not just certain people

I am not sure whats so difficult about this.... so they were wrong and got some 6800's early? just like they were wrong on the ship dates on so many other items...it works both ways
Yes, I am aware that the previously 7/31 folks (the non-6800 Ultra orders) got moved to 8/20. But I am saying you should count yourself with the 8/31 people who spec'ed a 6800 Ultra with their system. That's still your date, whatever you may believe.

Why would you, who ordered _after_ I did, stay with the non-6800 Ultra folks (now at 8/20) when the rest of us got moved to 8/31? Explain to me what sense that makes.

blakespot

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 10:28 AM

you "changed" your order on 6/29 right? how did you go about this?

when I changed my order I called apple and verified I would keep my place in the que if I made the change, they assured me it would stay (my 6/11 order date)

whats so hard to understand?

you could be right due to the card, but then again you could be wrong...either way we all got the shaft
( Last edited by videian28; Jul 30, 2004 at 10:35 AM. )

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
hey....i think we canadians must have the same upgrade cycle....i've a dual 800 and a dual 2.5 on the way (soon i hope) to replace it.
Man, what a coincidence...
MacBook Pro

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 11:39 AM

http://macnn.com/news/25666

Apple isn't the only one suffering from delays in chip manufacturing.

kcourt
Jul 30, 2004, 12:53 PM

Yes,

When I read about Intel's chip delay this morning, I felt a little better about my wait for my new 2.5 G5....

But I am anxious.....if it is much later, it will become my birthday present to myself (Sept. 17)....

Kathy

NewSwitcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 01:34 PM

This may be wishful thinking but some in the macrumors fora have said their 2.5 G5s shipped today.

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2004, 02:14 PM

This may be wishful thinking but some in the macrumors fora have said their 2.5 G5s shipped today.
Yeah, they said theirs shipped:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...&page=30&pp=25

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 02:16 PM

Yeah, I saw that and there was also a note on Apple Insider that some are receiving shipping notices. Mine still says on or before 8/20/2004, and I haven't received any email contradicting that. I don't know what to make of it. It would be nice to hear that someone got their's, even if it's only the educational customers or the standard config customers. It would give me hope.
MacBook Pro

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 02:19 PM

hmm, those chat sites are blocked for me from work, that would be good to hear for sure, means we have a much better chance of recieving ours before 8/20

can anyone see if any of those are CTO?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 02:30 PM

There are at least a couple of those that were CTO (one person doubled the RAM and chose a 250 GB hard drive, for example).

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 02:31 PM

Yes, some reported that their order was CTO, 1 said his was an educational order. There's one that said he ordered on 6/13 and got a shipping notice - not sure if I believe that - he didn't say if it was an edu order.
MacBook Pro

doctre
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2004, 02:33 PM

Well this appears to be better news. At least I don't feel as bad about the possibility of my on or before 09/10/2004 getting backed up too far.
The Doctre
G4 DP 533Mhz 1.0Gig/365(40+75+250)/BT/4600/Superdrive
Mac mini 1.42/1G/80/Combo
Mac mini Core Duo 1.66/1G/100/Superdrive
iPod Mini - Silver,iPod 40Gig - Click Wheel

konakazi
Jul 30, 2004, 02:50 PM

OK so did ANYBODY get an updated email about their 2.5 shipping as that article stated?

In an email to Power Mac G5 purchasers this morning Apple said: "Recently, we notified you of a delay with your order. We are very pleased to report that we have revised the shipping estimate for your order. We now anticipate shipping your G5 by Monday, August 2. This shipping estimate is based on our very latest information and supersedes all previous communications regarding the status of your order." Several hours later, the company began shipping customers the Power Mac systems, as predicted by AppleInsider earlier in the week.

Yesterday afternoon, the very same group customers were saddened when they received an email from the Apple Store updating their July 30th Power Mac G5 ship estimates to August 20th.

VukOnCrack
Jul 30, 2004, 02:52 PM

Does anybody know if any of the Apple retail stores have gotten stock yet?

VukOnCrack
Jul 30, 2004, 03:00 PM

Just called the 8 Apple Stores within an easy drive of me and they all said mid August is when they expect them. One guy said he thought they were fulfilling online orders first, so take that as you may.

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 03:01 PM

still 8/20 here, would love to know if anyone with a 6800 card gets shipped

dkanarek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by VukOnCrack:
Does anybody know if any of the Apple retail stores have gotten stock yet?
I was told that CT, MA, NH and CA Apple retail stores expecting them mid to end of August - however last week when I called Apple store in Salem, NH I was told it will be there the 1st week of August - Who knows. Let me know what are your findings.

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 03:08 PM

Tysons Corner store (Virginia) says middle of august, I believe they are the highest selling Apple store in the states (so they told me a bit ago)

neophilia
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2004, 03:12 PM

For the people who ordered through resellers, CDW told me August 31st today when I called to cancel my order. I was 26th in line.
-n

johnnydr87
Jul 30, 2004, 04:14 PM

some guy who ordered 5 days ago got his :-(

dkanarek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 04:18 PM

some guy who ordered 5 days ago got his :-(
Who did he order from ? (Resealer, Apple Online, or Apple Retail.)

johnnydr87
Jul 30, 2004, 04:35 PM

when i called apple about this guy and another who orderd the 29th he was like:

"uhhh, i don't have any information on that"

"we are shipping them in the order we received orders"

Buh-buh-buh-BULLSH*T!

johnnydr87
Jul 30, 2004, 04:40 PM

am i the only one with this cancelled order when i check the order status (apple.com/orderstatus)

2.5DPG5 CTO

Z0AC

-

2.5GHz PowerPC G5

065-4803

512 MB DDR400 (PC3200)-2X256

065-4933

250GB Serial ATA-7200rpm

065-4982

8x Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

065-4928

ATI Rad9800 XT w/256MB DDR

065-4893

None

065-5080

None

065-4491

56k V.92 Modem

065-5168

None

065-4142

Airport Extreme Card

065-4986

Apple Keyboard & Mouse

065-4923

Mac OS X

065-4897

None

065-4494

None

065-4683

None

065-4681

Country Kit

065-4894

Cancelled

HP PSC 2175 ALL-IN-ONE INKJET PRINTE-USA

T7261LL/A

-

Shipped

1 Shipped 06/14/2004

Carrier : FEDERAL EXPRESS

Tracking Number(s) :

2.5DPG5 CTO

Z0AC

On or before
08/20/2004

2.5GHz PowerPC G5

065-4803

512 MB DDR400 (PC3200)-2X256

065-4933

250GB Serial ATA-7200rpm

065-4982

8x Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

065-4928

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL

065-5128

None

065-5080

None

065-4491

56k V.92 Modem

065-5168

None

065-4142

Airport Extreme Card

065-4986

Apple Keyboard & Mouse

065-4923

Mac OS X

065-4897

None

065-4494

None

065-4683

None

065-4681

Country Kit

065-4894

Open

Forum Links
Forum Rules