Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ?

Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ? (Page 9)
gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2004, 06:42 PM

Just a guess, but now that OSX 10.3.5 is out "with updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers", maybe we will see some orders with the 6800 shipping by monday...

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Aug 9, 2004, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by gururafiki:
$8000 computer?? Damn, what config did you order?? Unless, of course, you ordered a 30" screen too...
Of course.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2004, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by limpbizkit69dz:
"I guess we all want it to be different, that our machines get here the day after we ordered them, now that would be sweet"
Hey, Apple's taken over two months to deliver my G5!! That's worse than normal mail order! Normal mail order is 4-6 weeks! The online shopping world seems to be getting worse instead of better if things take this long!
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 11:46 PM

klaus

I have a bto with 6800 my order date is 6/11. when the 6800's were announced I called and updated my order on the word of the apple rep on the assurance of 1 thing.....updating my order to the 6800 would no change my place in line

my shipping date was 7/30

if they never had any intention of having these cards ready (which she said was not a problem, i asked that direct question) why tell me so?

even if I had ordered a stock machine i would still have been screwed..

getting the picture why I am a little irritated in apple now

this is a constant issue with apple, how about they don't announce things till they have them in production? the people wanted an update so apple gave it to them, no matter than they didn't actually have any...but it passified(sp?) all of us

typical

DarylF2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 08:47 AM

I haven't received an e-mail from Apple, but their web site now shows that my 2.5 GHz G5 has SHIPPED, and I have a tracking number (which, unfortunately, is not yet in FedEx's system).

So, it does look real... Wow.

Configuration: Dual 2.5 GHz G5 with 1.0GB (2x512) RAM, 250GB HDD, Radeon 9800XT, and Bluetooth.
( Last edited by DarylF2; Aug 10, 2004 at 09:59 AM. )

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 08:58 AM

what configuration?

lets hope that 10.3.5 and the new nvidia drivers are what were holding up the 6800's (hey, one can dream eh?)

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 09:39 AM

Finally got my order through last night.

Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5
1GB MB DDR400 (PC3200)-2X512
250GB Serial ATA-7200rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL
Bluetooth Module

On or before
09/22/2004

APPLE CIN DISPLAY 20" FLAT PANEL-USA

On or before
08/17/2004

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 10:50 AM

Miracle of miracles, the two G5s I ordered for my office arrived this morning. I have just been to the campus computer store and have seen them with my own eyes. They were part of a big edu order; part of that was eight G5s but only two arrived. (The miracle is that they're actually MY two!) Ordered June 10.

� Dual 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5
� 1GB DDR400 SDRAM - 2x512
� Bluetooth Module
� No modem

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 10:54 AM

grats! give us your thoughts when you get your hands on that thing

cal6n
Aug 10, 2004, 11:03 AM

2.5s have started shipping in Europe. I got my shipping notification this morning, although my tracking site has yet to show any details. It appears to be coming from Ireland.

I ordered a G5LC with a 250 Gb SATA and BT keyboard and mouse at 145 pm on 09/06/04.
G5LC, 6 GB 1.07 TB 6800 GT & 30" (Workhorse)
1.4 GHz Cube 512 MB 60 GB (headless folding)
15" 1.67 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 100 GB (VJ rig 1 & Uni)
15" 1 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 60 GB (VJ rig 2)
G4 800 MHz Ti PB, 512 MB 60 GB (Lounge)

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 12:05 PM

What would really be great is if they started shipping the dual 2.5s that have GeForce 6800 cards... like mine!
 24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 12:07 PM

agreed

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 03:35 PM

hmm, this from thinksecret....

Apple continues to quote an August ship date for the 30-inch display, although the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DLL video card that is needed to drive the massive screen isn't expected to ship until September.
that was at the bottom of thier latest article....not in direct reference to the dual 2.5's

not good....not good at all

limpbizkit69dz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 03:59 PM

^I hope that is true, because I will get my G5 a lot earlier because I will be pushed ahead of everyone waiting for the Gforce cards...sorry guys that really suck if that is true

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 04:53 PM

^I hope that is true, because I will get my G5 a lot earlier because I will be pushed ahead of everyone waiting for the Gforce cards...sorry guys that really suck if that is true
No problem! You are welcome to go ahead of me since I get a card that performs so significantly faster than anything else on the market today. I'm more interested in the 6800 than I am the 2.5GHz. The next generation after Radeon 9800 was exactly what I was waiting for in a new Power Mac. I've maintained that most 2.5 Power Macs won't ship until September-early October anyway, so it should make little difference to most of us.

limpbizkit69dz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 05:24 PM

^Yea, i wanted that card. It sounds awsome but my G5 was already $5000 after the display, so I was short on cash and hadda go with the 9600XT.

Are you guys mac gamers? Is that why you all went with the new geforce? I know it's not because you all got 30" displays!

Sneeper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 07:01 PM

^Yea, i wanted that card. It sounds awsome but my G5 was already $5000 after the display, so I was short on cash and hadda go with the 9600XT.

Are you guys mac gamers? Is that why you all went with the new geforce? I know it's not because you all got 30" displays!

mac gamers? What are those?

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 07:31 PM

We finally got our Dual 2.5 today, I will be hooking it up tomorrow :-D woohoo, its VERY sweet.

We also got the screens and 1.8's and I spent all day setting those up.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 08:37 PM

the 6800 is worth the wait... and I doubt whether we'll have to wait into Sep... I still believe in the on or before 8/30 promise (for now).
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

hollywd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 08:41 PM

The local reseller I'm getting mine from said Apple is now saying theirs will arrive the end of August. The order was placed the day the 2.5's came out. This waiting game is getting aggravating, especially now that some people are getting theirs!

I was really hoping to pick mine up this weekend, because I have next week off, and would have all week to play with it...

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 09:11 PM

the 6800 is worth the wait... and I doubt whether we'll have to wait into Sep... I still believe in the on or before 8/30 promise (for now).
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 08:56 AM

until I see someone with a 6800 shipped....I unfortunatly have no faith that they will ship in the next nine days, hell they are trickling out as it is now

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by videian28:
until I see someone with a 6800 shipped....I unfortunatly have no faith that they will ship in the next nine days, hell they are trickling out as it is now
Yeah, anything earlier than September is merely wishful thinking. But, the faster you get yours, the faster I get mine, so we can hope!

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 09:10 AM

if they hit the local retail store I might go that route, and just get a 6800 down the road

klaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 09:13 AM

That might be a wise thing to do if the cards have a delay..

A guy I know from a belgian forum did it like this : he bought his G5 2.5 stock from the distributor and ordered the 6800 seperately, this way he gets his g5 rather 'fast' with the stock 9600x, and when his 6800 comes in, he'll try to sell the 9600xt.

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 09:28 AM

that was my thought... well they have not shown up in retail stores yet either so...I guess I will just have to make taht decision when the time comes, I will be calling the local apple store as soon as they open this morning

edit: 2.5's are shipping in europe now

http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu....004-08-11#2643

edit again : Just called the apple store, they originally told me 2nd week of this month, now that has been pushed back to 3rd week of this month... I think this is signifigant due to the fact that the Tysons corner store is one if the highest(if not the highest) selling Apple stores in the states (the apple guy told me this a few trips ago)

now if they can't get them....
( Last edited by videian28; Aug 11, 2004 at 10:03 AM. )

dkanarek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 11:05 AM

I just got off the phone with a Apple rep and was told her store expect first shippment of 2.5DP any day now, hovewer she ask me to call early next week to make sure they have then in stock.

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 11:07 AM

if they hit the local retail store I might go that route, and just get a 6800 down the road
I've thought about that, but to me, spending that extra money that you won't be able to fully get back isn't worth it.

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 11:20 AM

but if you could ebay your 9600xt for $150-$200 it would be ok

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 11:24 AM

but if you could ebay your 9600xt for $150-$200 it would be ok
Well, the NVidia card goes for $600 at the Apple store, so even if you sold the 9600xt for $150, you would still be out $300. Is it worth it for the extra month of computer usage?

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 11:28 AM

no need to upgrade immediatly, could use this till the price comes down a tad

dunno man, I am getting tired of using my 12" as my main comp =/ lets see how screwed I am on the 20th

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 01:02 PM

Well, I can say two things about my new G5 2.5 so far: first, that new setup assistant is a godsend. It probably cut three hours off my transfer time, and the only thing that it couldn't deal with is Macromedia's activation on Studio MX (I think I can fix that without reinstalling). My desktop popped up exactly as it was on the old computer, no preferences to set, nothing to copy over. Brilliant. Total set-up time, including installing an extra gig of RAM, a second hard drive, an AirPort card and copying all my files: less than two hours.

Second, I can say with some certainty that Photoshop's file browser is MASSIVELY faster. When I open up a folder of high-res images, I used to have to wait for the preview for each image to fully draw, and you could watch each one resolve. Now it's instantaneous, the previews are complete as soon as you open the window and you can start scrolling through immediately.

This is going from a dual-1.25 G4 with 1.5GB of RAM.

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 01:04 PM

when did you order and what was your configuration?

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 02:39 PM

when did you order and what was your configuration?
If you're asking me, I ordered two machines June 10 and they went in as part of a large edu order (mostly PowerBooks for students but miscellaneous Macs for offices and departments as well). Both stock 2.5s except with Bluetooth and a gig of RAM, and no modem.

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 02:52 PM

Remember...everyone but you who has a 6800 order has, at the earliest, a 8/31 est. delivery date...

But then you might be a special case for Apple...

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 02:57 PM

"Earlier this year, word spread that Apple had quietly contracted Delphi for an undisclosed project. According to sources, the project was a liquid cooling system that was being developed at Delphi's Lockport, New York location with production scheduled for China. The project had reportedly run into serious problems with leaks, causing delays in the completion of the system. Months later, a sources who has now proven to be reliable, confirmed that leaks in a new cooling system were partly to blame for the Power Mac delay that lasted into June."
Scary quote from a recent AppleInsider article about the production of the liquid-cooled G5's. Let's hope the water leak issue are all worked out...

June??

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 03:20 PM

Remember...everyone but you who has a 6800 order has, at the earliest, a 8/31 est. delivery date...
I am pretty sure you are incorrect

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 03:33 PM

Well, I hate to say it but I'm joining the leagues of people cancelling their PowerMac dual 2.5 orders.

The wait was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back, but I would say that more than anything it was a question of what I really needed. I'm going to be a grad student in September, and for that I don't need a dual 2.5 GHz G5 with a GeForce 6800. Not to mention that I wouldn't be able to pocket the money that I'd be able to get from selling my existing PowerBook.

Don't think that I'm leaving the Mac fold though; in fact, I'm delving deeper than before. I've ordered a 12" PowerBook with a Combo drive, a 20 GB iPod, and an iSight (which is already clipped to my current PowerBook). The 12" should be much better-suited to student life... and will let me save money for such radical things as, say, tuition or music to fill the iPod with.

So I won't have a killer Doom 3 rig (there is - gasp - a Windows box here for that), but I'll probably be happier overall. And hey, one of you just might get their dual 2.5 that much sooner.

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 04:09 PM

"if they hit the local retail store I might go that route, and just get a 6800 down the road"

Originally posted by Turias:
I've thought about that, but to me, spending that extra money that you won't be able to fully get back isn't worth it.
I agree about the money, plus it is just very nice and easy to have it come fully set up and ready to go. I've changed out plenty of video cards before, and while it is routinely done it is also a big change to the system and squirrely problems do arise. It's more than a pleasure to have a brand new machine come with the brand new card that you want. On the other hand, if I absolutely could not wait for the machine and card to ship together then I would buy them separately. Buying separately is far from desirable or even equal to me, though.

I guess the retail 6800 card from Apple will have the drivers updated through Software Update also, right? Knowing that answer for certain would be a huge factor in my decision to buy a 6800 separate from a Power Mac. In the past my ATI cards included WITH my Power Mac always updated smoothly and without any problem from Apple updates. The same could not be said of retail ATI cards I bought later. The later purchased ATI cards had updates from ATI and sometimes weird and unpleasant things would happen when I would update. That's why I would want to be absolutely sure that my retail 6800 card that Apple sells as a "side order" will update through Software Update. Apple is responsible for those drivers, whereas Apple is not responsible for ATI's retail driver updates. That's a big deal.

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:
Well, I hate to say it but I'm joining the leagues of people cancelling their PowerMac dual 2.5 orders.

So I won't have a killer Doom 3 rig (there is - gasp - a Windows box here for that), but I'll probably be happier overall. And hey, one of you just might get their dual 2.5 that much sooner.
Sad, but understandable. I canceled my order for a 2.0 last year for the same reason. Apple needs to rethink their policy of announcing so far ahead of when they deliver because it gives people time to think "Hey, I don't need this!" I used to work retail at a jewelry shop, and the same principle definitely applied there. My mentor instructed me, "Wrap things up as soon as possible. Don't give the customer time to rethink their decision." This isn't nefarious instruction, but just good business practice. People are usually happy with nice jewelry and nice computers even if they are expensive and more than they need. Much of a shopper's buying is enjoying the thrill of the conquest and enjoying the fruits of that. When only part of that happens -- a commitment to buy something expensive -- and the fruit of that commitment is not able to be enjoyed then many people will sour on it. Apple has supply problems for whatever "x,y, and z" complex reasons, but regardless the bottom line is this: They are losing money because more people would order without a wait and also many people will cancel orders who wait too long. That's true of just about any luxury item from ice-cream to jewelry to computers. Apple is nuts to not get that right. Nuts or egotistical. Or both.

Commodus, glad to see you sticking with the Apple brand, but I'm sorry Apple is getting half your money! You probably made a wise financial move, though, so congratulations for that.

cal6n
Aug 11, 2004, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:
SNIP...I've ordered a 12" PowerBook with a Combo drive, a 20 GB iPod, and an iSight (which is already clipped to my current PowerBook). The 12" should be much better-suited to student life...
Don't mean to argue but, as a mature student I have to say that you'll find screen real estate a problem when juggling spreadsheets, drawings/photos & word processors at 3am with 5000 words due the next morning.

(Unless you're keeping your TiBook, cos the difference between 1280 x854 and 1024 x 768 is bigger than it looks)

Good luck, anyway

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by cal6n:

Don't mean to argue but, as a mature student I have to say that you'll find screen real estate a problem when juggling spreadsheets, drawings/photos & word processors at 3am with 5000 words due the next morning.

(Unless you're keeping your TiBook, cos the difference between 1280 x854 and 1024 x 768 is bigger than it looks)

Good luck, anyway
Here's the thing: when I'm at home, I have a 17" LCD to hook up to, so the screen space when I need it will be 1280x1024 + 1024x768. When I'm in class or otherwise away, I shouldn't be needing more than the 1024x768 as it is.

cal6n
Aug 11, 2004, 05:14 PM

Fair enough!

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by qwerty2:
The same could not be said of retail ATI cards I bought later. The later purchased ATI cards had updates from ATI and sometimes weird and unpleasant things would happen when I would update.
That seems odd since ATI does both the retail and OEM drivers.

DarylF2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 11:49 PM

My 2.5 GHz G5 is now in Anchorage, Alaska! It looks like its probably on schedule for delivery on 8/13!!

cal6n
Aug 12, 2004, 08:06 AM

Mine just arrived. I spoke to the delivery driver and he said there were "hundreds" at the depot this morning

klaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2004, 08:08 AM

hi cal60, nice to see you here as well

I also said this at the macrumors forum, the wait time for a dual 2.5 has been reduced to 3-5 weeks for US store, and to 3-4 weeks for all european stores.

Guess that means they are catching up with their orders!

cal6n
Aug 12, 2004, 08:30 AM

Hi Klaus, Hopefully the rest of the euros won't be far behind. I'll be off line for a while

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 08:39 AM

when did you guys order yours?

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 08:45 AM

And the faster you guys get yours, the faster they can get the nvidia ones out the door.

Forum Links
Forum Rules