Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Networking a convoluted novice

Networking a convoluted novice
brianprimo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2011, 06:15 AM

Hi- Complete Mac novice here, thanks for the patience in advance (really). I have a 20" iMac (running IOS 10.6.8, processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, signal 802.11n- non-tapered base, bought 02/2008). It's attached to a router by an R45 cable (not wireless capable), which is on loan from my provider (I'm in Italy). I believe the plug-in router loan is so the provider can feel I'm only running one machine off the router. I generally do- either the iMac or my MacBook Pro at any one time. Anyway- I've been running an Airport Extreme connection (WEP) from the iMac , which provides wireless to my MacBook Pro (running 10.6.8, processor 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, bought 11/2009). As luck would have it, I now:
1. realize in reading the forums that WEP isn't the most secure
2. have a PC (ugh!) I must run for recent employment purposes, which wants nothing to do with "shared key authentication" (that's WEP, correct?)- (Sony Vaio Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30Ghz, with Intel WiFi link 1000 BGN, 4GB RAM running Windows 7 Home Premium)
When I go into AirPort Utility, it scans for available devices, but naturally finds none. I can't use "manual setup", as the button is opaque (not clickable).
Further, I have a Time Machine- but that doesn't work with my machines as they're encrypted profiles. It is close enough to the iMac to connect with a USB cable- if that's an option.

So the question(s) are:
a. What is the most efficient way to reconfigure the AirPort signal to accommodate all?
b. How would I go about doing that? (from the ground-up, please). I assume this will have something to do with deleting all iMac AirPort settings and starting from scratch?
3. If in all of that, you can work in how to configure-anew to remote access my iMac from the MacBook (without laughing too hard), I'd be most effusively appreciative.
d. Anything to be said regarding making my 2TB Time Machine something more than an annoying flashing light boat-anchor?

PS- I'd arranged remote access to my iMac before, but seemingly by dumb luck. A visit to an Apple Store Genius Bar rectified that (lost partitions two separate times on the iMac, both requiring complete-reloads at GB). Agreed- I'm a tech train-wreck.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2011, 07:17 AM

a: You can only use WEP when creating a wireless network from a Mac. I would advise buying an Airport Extreme or Express and connecting this to the router via RJ45, then connect everything up to the wifi with WPA2 security enabled.

b: See above.

3: If you mean controlling the iMac screen, System Preferences -> Sharing -> Tick 'Screen Sharing'; If you mean file sharing, System Preferences -> Sharing -> Tick 'File Sharing';

d: When you say Time Machine, do you mean Time Capsule? This will do the job of the airport Extreme/Express mentioned in my answer to a. If there is nothing on it, consider resetting it, plug it into the router via its WAN port, then fire up the Airport Utility and configure it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by brianprimo View Post
2. have a PC (ugh!) I must run for recent employment purposes, which wants nothing to do with "shared key authentication" (that's WEP, correct?)- (Sony Vaio Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30Ghz, with Intel WiFi link 1000 BGN, 4GB RAM running Windows 7 Home Premium)
WEP and WPA(2) are all shared key. A PC running Windows with that Intel wifi adapter should have no problem with all 3.

brianprimo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2011, 07:21 PM

Thanks WAS, MDuell, those tidbits have me up and running. Much appreciated!
( Last edited by brianprimo; Dec 7, 2011 at 02:01 AM. Reason: spelling)

brianprimo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2011, 02:07 PM

Hi- Not sure if this is in relation to my recent successes with network intergation, but now when I try to update software using the Software update function, my iMac /can/ see my home network run through my Time Capsule, but it can't connect to the internet. It then runs Network Diagnostics, and shows Ethernet and Network Settings as green. ISP (failed) in red, as well as Internet and Server red and failed. It then proovides:
- Choose network configuration (AirPort selected)
- It says "there are other network port configurations that already may be connected to the internet... (I check "use AirPort)
- Perhaps there's remnants of the previous AirPort connection?
- Check "Use closed network", and type in info used to connect me from above (successful) connection attempt (along with "keep in keychain)
- States "network change detected", clicked "ok"
- Click "yes" to inquiry if I'm using manual ISP settings (because I am)
- Verified manual IP settings, 2 DNS server addresses (separated with semi-colon)- click continue
- Do you use DSL or cable modem? (click yes, tho using a fast wireless signal)
- restart device, and that's where I'm stuck. It doesn't update software, and I can't get internet.

And would connecting the iMac to the TimeCapsule with RJ45 cable help? Hinder? Matter?

Side note of frustration (or slight salvation)- I do have internet connection to my two laptops, so I know it's not the provider. Additional frustration- I have two infants that love to watch movies on the iMac using VLC player. And they love to try their hand at dragging their mits across the keyboard (triggering untold and as yet unknown shortcuts and other incantations). That's a side question- how to allow them to drag and drop movies without accidentally launching missiles? I wish the answer was as simple as "put the keyboard out of reach", but then I wouldn't be asking... Perhaps a profile with movies attached- but how to set-up...?

Tech specs:
20" iMac, running IOS 10.6.8, processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, signal 802.11n- non-tapered base, (bought 02/2008)
MacBook Pro, running 10.6.8, processor 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, (bought 11/2009)
Sony Vaio Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30Ghz, with Intel WiFi link 1000 BGN, 4GB RAM running Windows 7 Home Premium (bought 11/2011)
Time Capsule 2TB, iPhone 3GS (unlocked/Jailbroken, my phone), iPhone 4 factory unlocked (for the wife)
( Last edited by brianprimo; Dec 6, 2011 at 03:04 PM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 08:01 PM

So the iMac is sharing its ethernet connection over Airport right?

Under your network preferences click the the cog at the bottom of your connection list and choose 'set service order'. Make sure Ethernet is above Airport in the list.
I assume you have internet sharing turned on under the sharing prefs.

If all is already set like this, what are you using as your DNS servers? The semicolon is not usually required to separate the addresses.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules