Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Home Theatre -- Can I do this?

Home Theatre -- Can I do this?
goto11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2003, 03:32 PM

Our receiver recently died a miserable death. I had everything connected to it -- DVD player, Tivo, 5:1 speakers, etc. I have been thinking recently that I could somehow work a G4 cube into the mix and play my iTunes stuff through the speakers, display my iPhoto pics on the TV and (maybe) rip some of my recorded Tivo shows onto the HD. I could also take the DVD player out of the loop in favor of the Cube's DVD (although I'm not sure how to replace the remote control of the standalone player.)

I'm really trying to buy into this "digital hub" thing that Steve keeps pushing. Is it possible for me to do this? Or maybe I should just buy another receiver and call it a day? Any suggestions welcome. If I can do this, I promise to post photos of the final product. Thanks!

-Q-
Aug 13, 2003, 03:43 PM

The Keyspan digital media remote would probably take care of the missing DVD remote.

The only real problem I see is that the Mac doesn't support 5.1 out so your 5.1 speakers become worthless without the receiver. There are some sound cards out there that do (and the new G5s do also) but I don't think they'd fit into your cube.

If you have a series 2 Tivo, ripping video isn't possible yet. At least, I haven't found a hack for it yet. With a series 1 it's no problem. I have the home media option for tivo and I play my MP3s over my wireless network through my receiver all the time. It works flawlessly, although it requires a series 2 tivo.

Ultimatley, I think you could replace the DVD player with the Cube, but I don't think you can really get away with trying to replace your receiver with the Cube. It just doesn't offer the flexibility of a receiver.

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2003, 03:45 PM

I guess it would depend on whether there's a video out on your video card to connect to your TV. A quick trip to radio shack and you should be able to buy a A/V cable and a 'Y' adapter to connect the audio out top the A/V cable.

You also could buy the ATI Remote Wonder to control the DVD and iTunes apps...

Of course I'm guessing at most of this; but hopefully this will lead you in the right direction.

Terrance

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2003, 04:57 PM

Fully-featured receivers are going so cheaply now, I'd replace the receiver. Then if you want to use iTunes, hook the Cube up to the receiver via an iMic or the like. Or get an iPod. Much more versatile and cost-effective at this point, I think.

The problem with the Cube is that you still need a monitor to control it.

macrophyllum
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2003, 05:39 PM

I just bought a 5.1 receiver and speakers and ordered a G5. My plan is to run iTunes and DVD through the G5 to the receiver, that way I get the good amplification of receiver and still get sourround sound for DVDs. I got a 20" display which I will use for movies, I don't own (nor like) TVs.

goto11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2003, 08:32 PM

Well, I happen to have a cube laying around and I'd like to use it because it's going to be relatively out in the open. The "attractive" factor and all. But if a different machine would be better, I could scour eBay for an older G4 or something if you think it will be a better choice for this.

Looking at Best Buy now for a replacement receiver. Sigh. It may be the smartest way to go, though.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2003, 08:43 PM

Buy a new receiver. They're cheap, and much better suited for the task (obviously).

If you lived in Toronto I'd sell you my extra one, but alas you're in Atlanta.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 01:52 AM

Happen to have a cube around? Like, you walk out of your house in the morning and stumble over a few of them. Man. I can't find a cube to buy, without selling a kidney or my liver to get.

Gosh darn cube owners....

Doktorfaust
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2003, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
Buy a new receiver. They're cheap, and much better suited for the task (obviously).
Maybe I'm just being thick here, but aren't you going to need to buy a new receiver anyway? I would assume that if you had one in the first place you were using it as an amplifier to power your six speakers -- unless they're self amplified???

Here's what I think the cheapest solution with your current setup would be: buy a new receiver and then run a set a audio cables from your cube to the receiver so that you can play mp3s. If you're running video through your receiver, then of course you should run a video cable to the receiver as well so that you can switch between video input sources (like from DVD to computer, so you can do an iPhoto slide show). Total equipment required: new amp, new set of cables between computer and amp. You may need an adapter or two, I don't know the specific output of a Cube.

If you want to add another layer of elegance, get a slimp3 player. These things totally rock and are the best way to play mp3s: http://www.slimp3.com/ Gives you a remote, line level out always, and connects via an ethernet cable. Very cool.

Regarding chucking the component DVD player, no way. It's probably a much better solution than what you'll get from your computer. I've compared the output from a pismo, a beige g3, and an 80 dollar component dvd player all to the same tv and the 80 dollar component dvd player won hands down. This is *not* to say that the pismo didn't look better playing the dvd on its own lcd, just that it didn't look as good using its video output through this same tv.

Basically I'm advocating getting back your old setup and *adding* your Cube to the mix without removing anything else.

Your new receiver you might want to look for video in and out so you can use that to switch video sources easily, most mid-range solutions offer that these days because the receiver doesn't actually do anything with the signal, so it's gotta be cheap for them to add it...

I rambled a bit, hope some of the was coherent...
Die Menchen verh�hnen was sie nicht verstehen.

whoami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2003, 02:34 AM

i plan on doing the same thing with my cube..
you won't need a monitor..
just use the dvi out direct to the hdtv.
buy a wireless keyboard/mouse.
for sound get that m-audio 5 channel output..
it's like $99.
that will output AC3 audio to your reciever.
the only missing link is finding a way to get the tivo stuff onto the cube.
keep this thread going.
the cube is the perfect companion to any home theater!

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2003, 09:01 AM

I too have been looking to integrate iLife with my home theater. I have a nice receiver, 5.1 b&w speakers, and all in the range of my airport network. For now, I have an audio in wire laying on my entertainment center that I plug my iPod into to listen to tunes. Not the most elegant solution, but it works well, and costs nothing.

Other possibilities:
Tivo home media (but I have a series 1)

BroadQ
This is a really nice option seeing as I have a PS2 already, I would need to buy a PS2 network adapter, a wireless bridge and the broadq software ($150-200), and requires starting up the playstation to access the media - tedious.

Slimp3
Very cool. period - but again requires swtiching the input on the stereo - not a big deal - but not SEAMLESS (like the tivo home media would be- I am always running the tivo 100% of the time.)

So whats the answer? I don't know, hey Apple - you guys make cool gadgets - make a computer/home entertainment interface that has built in airport, remote control, digital audio out, etc etc - and give it an onscreen aqua navigation os - that'd be nice.

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2003, 10:21 AM

man, and here I thought I was being original. I plan on some day down the road replacing my beloved cube with a g5 and popping the cube into my home theater. i looked at the m-audio device and it seems nice, and hopefully panther supports 5.1, but how does this differ from just taking a composite to 1/8th inch jack from the cube's tiny amp to my receiver? i've done that and it sounded bad (so does my ipod. why IS that?!). the m-audio does optical out though. anyway, i have a vga-to-component video converter from audio authority i can use for the video, but who has a spare component in these days? so, in my case i'd need the following:
keyspan remote
m-audio box
free optical input (don't have it )
now to replace the cube...that aint happening for a while though. no g5 money

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2003, 10:45 AM

re: 5.1 output from a Cube

try this
http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/transit/

or this
http://www.m-audio.com/products/cons...atre_page1.php

there are others, but off the top of my head I can't remember. I have not tried any of these products either, so caveat emptor!

-- james

goto11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2003, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by LeeG:

So whats the answer? I don't know, hey Apple - you guys make cool gadgets - make a computer/home entertainment interface that has built in airport, remote control, digital audio out, etc etc - and give it an onscreen aqua navigation os - that'd be nice.

What LeeG said. Apple really should push this digital hub idea to its natural conclusion. People (generally) aren't going to watch TV and movies on their monitors, so they need to develop something that networks with your main desktop machine, but maintains all your entertainment devices (TV, DVD, Tivo, surround sound speakers, console game box, etc.) independently.

Sounds like I'm going to need to replace the receiver anyway. I was hoping there would be a way to run everything through the cube and make it an elegant solution. I don't think the M-Audio devices are going to be sufficient.

BTW, I don't have multiple cubes in my house that I use for stools or endtables (I will refrain from making the obvious iMac/desklap joke) or anything. I bought the cube too impulsively and later regretted that I I didn't get a more traditional tower. So I got the tower, but I kept the cube because it's just so darn cool and I thought I could use it sometime down the line.

BuD-TheDude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2003, 02:55 PM

Having a computer hooked up to a stereo/tv is great, I do this myself. iTunes is incessantly playing, and even sometimes videos. However, it should not be used as a complete replacement for all your components.

Your other components are quite specialized and they will deliver much greater fidelity and they will even be easier to use than the multi-purpose Cube. Stick w/ components for your DVD, Tivo, ect. But use a computer to do what it does good: MP3's, visualizer, pictures, computer-based movies.. Just hook up the computer to Video 3 or Video 4 and use the TV as the monitor.

Granted this is my opinion, but I do whole-heartedly think that this is the better solution

ChadC
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2003, 03:37 PM

I think it was the Keynote from last July's Macworld where Steve Jobs had some dude from Panasonic(i think?) do a little interview. They talked about how the Mac flat screens were all Panasonics and that they were goin to extend their business relationship and work together on the digital hub project. Basically the dude from Panasonic said that soon enough their home theatre product line will have built in Rendezous, 802.11b, hard drive, 10/100 ethernet compatability. This actaully making your Apple the interface in which you guys are looking for. Not sure what the ETA is on these items or if what I remember is all accurate. Maybe somebody else remembers?

-Chad
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by ChadC:
I think it was the Keynote from last July's Macworld where Steve Jobs had some dude from Panasonic(i think?) do a little interview. They talked about how the Mac flat screens were all Panasonics and that they were goin to extend their business relationship and work together on the digital hub project. Basically the dude from Panasonic said that soon enough their home theatre product line will have built in Rendezous, 802.11b, hard drive, 10/100 ethernet compatability. This actaully making your Apple the interface in which you guys are looking for. Not sure what the ETA is on these items or if what I remember is all accurate. Maybe somebody else remembers?

-Chad
Ok, now if I could buy a TV/Reciever/DVD Player (my current DVD player is already a panasonic RP82) that used Rendevous to be controlled by my mac that would be about the most slick thing ever.

May sound silly to some... but I'm on my computer 90% of the time anyways... it would be awesome if my stereo/TV remote were built into my desktop �la Konfabulator widgets or some such. If they went a step further and figured out a way to use high bandwidth wireless (maybe even a step beyond 802.11g) connections to provide me with wireless video streaming to my HDTV (possibly even DVD) that would be SLICK.

Technically it's feasible too... even high action, high-quality anamorphic widescreen DVD's clock in at about 9-12Mbps... AE is technically capable of 54Mbps, so even with some overhead for streaming the audio it's within the realm of feasibility.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2003, 11:11 AM

just a thought, but would one be able to use apples' remote desktop to control the cube via a tibook over airport? this is probably overkill though huh? might be slick though. i've always wanted it just to administer updates from one mac rather than going to each one and doing them.

KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2003, 04:08 AM

Could a Newton or other PDA be rigged to control iTunes using airport?

I've been thinking about this idea as well mainly for my music since I'm in the process of putting all my CDs on my computer. I also enjoy the internet radio.

The main problem with the network receivers like TiVo is that they don't currently support AAC. So does anyone think that a PDA could be setup to be able to access playlists, internet radio, etc. wireless eliminating the need for a monitor?

I'm also very interested in how to transfer video from a TiVO to my mac. It can done on the Series 1? How? Is there a quality problem?

Thanks,
Josh

p.s. I may just buy the new Pioneer TiVO + DVD burner for TiVO archiving.

B.I.L
Aug 17, 2003, 12:27 PM

Thought I'd add a few notes on this topic...

I have a setup that is doing a few of these things. My G4 is hooked up to my receiver with stereo audio cables and video through my Radeon 7000. I use this to watch movie files on the TV, listen to iTunes on my nice speakers, and even display the iTunes visualizer on the screen.

This works well, except the cable runs are long and the computer system and the HT system are plugged in to different circuits, so I get a noticeable amount of interference.

Before I bought a DVR, I did a bit of research an decided the ReplayTV was the way to go. I have the freeware DVArchive software on my Mac that poses as a Replay to take advantage of the ReplayTV's home networking features. I can download or stream shows to to my G4 to watch with VLC, or watch shows stored on the Mac on the TV thru the Replay very simply. ReplayTV also has a photo display feature, where I can copy JPEGs to the Replay to view in slideshows or set as a screensaver. And this is at no additional cost, unlike Tivo.

I have a Kensington DMR to run iTunes and such. Someone mentioned using a PDA to control the Mac, I would suggest Salling Clicker with a SonyEricsson phone.

Someone else mentioned BroadQ for PlayStation2. This product has been acquired by Madcatz I believe and has a new version coming out with more features. I thinks it's $50. I will probably end up getting this to replace my analog AV cable run, since a digital signal over Ethernet should have much better quality. And I already have my PS2 on my network for online games. I would lose the iTunes visualizer, though

Werd.
( Last edited by B.I.L; Aug 17, 2003 at 12:49 PM. )

PMG4:533GHZx2/1GB/440GB/10.4
PB12:1GHZ/768MB/40GB/10.4

goto11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2003, 01:55 PM

Good resource with some links on it for creating a home theatre PC.

http://www.hot-deals.org/text/htpc1/

Although I don't see anything on there about using a Mac. Grrrr.

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2003, 01:57 PM

I was recently told about www.htmug.com for your mac home theater needs. good place, hopefully it catches on

acadian
Senior User
Aug 21, 2003, 01:02 AM

Question, my receiver handles both the component video out from the dvd player as well as the 5:1 digital audio out from it, how could a cube handle digital audio and video signals? I think that the analog conversion would mean sacrificing a bit of a/v quality.

JB72
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 03:22 AM

A Cube would make a great Mac HTPC I think.

10.3 Panther will have 5.1 DD and DTS for the DVD Player. There is also an app which allows for unusual resolutions (can't remember name,) should that become necessary.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2003, 08:26 AM

42885 threads on using a computer to drive a home theater

That's right, 42885 threads, not posts.
For more research, the term you want to search for is HTPC (home theater PC)

(And at the same site there are other forums on related topics like home theater gaming)

Forum Links
Forum Rules