Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 8 hrs usage a day OK?

8 hrs usage a day OK?
BrianJ1400
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2003, 03:52 PM

First, I own a TiBook 1Gz, 1Gb RAM. Is it OK to leave it on with frequent usage on my desktop at work for up to 8 hours. I elevate the back for heat dispersement, use it for graphics work (Photoshop/Quark/Illustrator). I'm a bit concerned about the life this notebook will have with such usage.

Any other heavy users?

hippy4Aluminium
Banned
Jan 24, 2003, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by BrianJ1400:
First, I own a TiBook 1Gz, 1Gb RAM. Is it OK to leave it on with frequent usage on my desktop at work for up to 8 hours. I elevate the back for heat dispersement, use it for graphics work (Photoshop/Quark/Illustrator). I'm a bit concerned about the life this notebook will have with such usage.

Any other heavy users?
Yeah it'll be toast within a month !

douthat
Jan 24, 2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by hippy4Aluminium:
Yeah it'll be toast within a month !
I really hope you're joking..

mdcarter1
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2003, 03:59 PM

Any computer that cant hold up to as little as 8 hours a day is in trouble. I've got the same one as you and use it about 12-14 hours a day. If you are really worried, get Applecare.

jef152psu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2003, 04:01 PM

I know this isn't related but I used to have a first generation Ti (500Mhz) and I used it easily for 8hrs a day for the 2 years I had it, with no problems whatsoever. I didn't put it under extreme heavy use, but I did have multiple apps running.

Sigh....I sold that Ti to get the new 17".....

hippy4Aluminium
Banned
Jan 24, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by BrianJ1400:

Any other heavy users?
yeah man, I think you need to work a bit harder before you call yourself a heavy user !

zos
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2003, 04:05 PM

There are people that leave their laptops running 24/7 on a desk for months on end. I do the same as you at work with no problems and no elevation. If your Book gets hot the fans will start up, easy as that.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2003, 04:09 PM

BrianJ1400, I have the same model and work it hard for a good 12 to 14+ hours a day. Yours will hold up just fine. For reference, I also have a first generation 500MHz TiBook that runs hotter and was subjected to the same horus of use for almost 2 years now. That old baby is in perfect shape still as well.

BrianJ1400  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by issa:
BrianJ1400, I have the same model and work it hard for a good 12 to 14+ hours a day. Yours will hold up just fine. For reference, I also have a first generation 500MHz TiBook that runs hotter and was subjected to the same horus of use for almost 2 years now. That old baby is in perfect shape still as well.
Thanks Issa,

Your comment was especially helpful.

This is my first Notebook and I was a bit concerned about the heat!

E5o
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2003, 06:02 PM

There's been several threads on the 24/7 thing. But form my own experience with macs from around 1995 I've had PowerBooks from the 100-series up to the Ghz G4's. Most of them being on for 10 to 15 hours a day. I just put them to sleep and that's that. My PowerBokk 190 still hummin' along nicely. (not in much use, thoug )
OK enough ramblin'. Morale of the story is: Don't worry - the machine will not get damaged by use - they're made for it.

Happy trail with your Ti!!

-Best E5o

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2003, 06:24 PM

i have my machine on about 15 hours a day, i dont use it the whole time since i'm using the pc while my tibook is on. it doesnt seem that bad. i think. all i do is use safari and adium.
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2003, 06:37 PM

Sometimes some comments here amazes me... I thought the forums was supposed to be helpful, not rude? Oh well, boys will be boys.

Anway, to answer the question; I use my computer heavily, Photoshop work as well as lighter work as mail, web browsing etc. I never turn my computer off until I go to bed and I have the computer runing between 12-15 hours a day. Sometimes more if I'm having a job that just has to be done in time (who needs sleep?).

So, no worries, your computer will not be harmed if you use it for 8 hours straight, or even 16 hours. I think they did calculate how long it would take before it dies and it was many more years than you will be needing the computer (then we probably have built-in computers in our brains or something).
/Petra

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2003, 06:45 PM

BrianJ1400
As some others have already mentioned, I typically have my PB on and working 12-15 hours a day. For the price we all paid, these things BETTER last. It should not even be something that even crosses your mind. The PBs are GREAT laptops. They work hard, play hard, and look AWESOME.

BrianJ1400  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2003, 07:44 PM

Thanks for those of you who gave straight-up answers to what I thought was a straight-up question.

My solem oath: "I shall never missjudge the dependibility (and longevity) of a TiBook."

-Brian

dab007
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2003, 07:48 PM

I have a Tibook 1ghz and its on 24/7 with no problems.
Take care,
Don
www.donnyb.com

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2003, 07:57 PM

I have a rev A PBG4 400 and have been running it almost 24/7 for two years now. Have never had any problems. I use Photoshop, Word, Excel, Java Apps, Quake III, Unreal Tournament, etc. O/N I used to run the RC5 client. No problems whatsoever.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2003, 11:13 PM

BrianJ1400,

It think the posts you've already received have given you the answer you were seekiing already. But do let me apologize for the careless typing of my first reply. It was 5:00 in the wee hours where I am, my hands were working without the aid of my sleepy eyes, and I should have been in bed long before.

Also allow me to add that, like a number of the other respondents, my 1GHz TiBook "runs" 24/7. It works hard for the 12 to 14+ hours a day I mentioned and sleeps for the rest of the time, whether that is while I drouse, or am in transit. The applications that are running most of the time include Photoshop, GoLive, M$ Orifice, iTunes, Eudora, Safari, Chimera, Virtual PC, and others

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2003, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by CyberPet:
(then we probably have built-in computers in our brains or something).
I hope not. With all this talk lately about government intervention, a computer in our brains would be the ultimate invasion of privacy... not to mention: can you imagine getting spammed that way?

I'm not so certain I want to be a Borg...

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2003, 11:18 AM

oops

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 12:01 PM

I think I did the calculation once, that the typical laptop LCD backlight will burn out in roughly three years with the LCD on 24/7. That is, I think the LCD backlight is the component with the shortest life span in a laptop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules