Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone else having sleep problems with 10.2.3 and Pismo?

Anyone else having sleep problems with 10.2.3 and Pismo?
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2003, 04:40 PM

At seemingly random intervals my Pismo will fail to sleep in 10.2.3. I will select sleep from the Apple menu. The drive will spin, down, the screen will go blank, but the pulsing sleep light will not come on. The machine is, apparently, frozen, as the keyboard is unresponsive and the only way to get the machine back is the three-fingere salute.

I can't find anything which seems to cause this problem; I have plugged and unplugged what peripherals I have and it doesn't make a difference. Is anyone else having this, or a similar, problem?

Pismo 500, 10.2.3, 1 GB RAM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 30, 2003, 05:00 PM

Haven't had any problems here, but mine is a G4 upgraded Pismo -- don't know if that would make any difference.

souljer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2003, 04:38 AM

I have a Pismo as well. I have noticed that when I put it to sleep then turn the light off, which also turns off the iSub speakers the computer sometimes turns back on after a few minutes, then goes back to sleep. Other times it would not go back to sleep (even though the screen was closed) and I could hear the hard drive spinning away. I would have to open it and put it to sleep again. Once or twice I found the hard drive spinning away in the morning. It had been doing that all night! Fortunately I go to bed late so it was only four to six hours at most but it's not what you want to find your computer doing in the morning. I got in the habit of getting up and turning everything else off first then putting the Pismo to sleep. This seemed to keep things normal.

I have since upgraded to X.2.3 and I think this has stopped happening. Now when I turn the speakers off after the computer is asleep it doesn't seem to wake the computer.

This is not really the problem you mentioned, but I would suggest, if you haven't tried it already, turning your peripherals off first, one at a time then put the Pismo to sleep after each and see if that helps or better still if that causes it. Since it only seems to be happening randomly it might be hard to tell when something is helping or not. However this might give you an idea of what is causing your problem.

fakeplasticspence
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2003, 01:29 PM

I have been having trouble with pismo sleep.
I have a couple questions...
1. is this battery power or AC power?
because I had this happen while on battery power once completely unplugged and once because I live in a college house that has faulty wiring and equally faulty circuit breakers.
2. did this just start for you in OS X.any?
it did for me

not a question but a statment: I am now either shutting down or just putting the monitor to sleep.
childhood is short, maturity is forever

cambro
Senior User
Jan 31, 2003, 01:39 PM

I have (sort of) a Pismo 400 running 10.2.3 and haven't noticed any problem. But the machine is at my parent's house now and I haven't received any complaints. That said, it behaved just fine last weekend when I was home.

Sleep-related qwerks seem to be common in all PBs. My Ghz Ti has a dead trackpad and screen brightness key outage when waking from sleep on battery every now and then. And once it was off completely when it should have been asleep when I pulled it out of my bag. Very annoying...

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2003, 01:57 PM

No problems here at all. Sorry.

zos
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2003, 02:59 PM

I've had an intermittent problem with my Pismo shutting down while asleep in my bag. I've recently reset the power manager by using a pen tip on the button to the left of the phone jack. No problems so far!

Forum Links
Forum Rules