Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Yo Yo power adapter?

Yo Yo power adapter?
Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2003, 01:42 PM

Does anyone know if the yoyo power adapters from the g3 powerbooks and ibooks with work on a new 1gz powerbook? I really hate my power supply and love the yoyo ones. I would like to just pick one up on ebay for use when I am not at my desk and leave the one that came with the powerbook on my desk.

These are really awesome, but I just need to know if the adapter itself will fit and if it is the right power to charge it?

Thanx everyone

here is a link to one so you know what I am talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=25436

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 26, 2003, 04:52 PM

I'm pretty sure it's different--I'll try to remember to test when I get my AlBook. I won't plug it into the wall, out of paranoia that something will be damaged somehow, but I can see if it fits in the 'Book

(And you may be the first person who likes the Yo-Yo... I hate mine!)
nagromme

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 26, 2003, 05:43 PM

I think they are a different size. www.madsonline.com makes an adapter. One note though. The older ones were 45W rated and the new ones are 65W rated. It might charge slowly or not at all under high draw, depending on which 'Book you have.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

zos
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 05:44 PM

They're definitely not compatible.

As far as the looks of the yoyo, I liked it too. Actually it turned quite a few heads and PC people made comments about how they wished their adapters were as cool as mine. That was before it burned out. Avoid the yoyo at all costs, they're known to be faulty and possible fire hazards.

Fellow2000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2003, 05:56 PM

Are there any other power adapters made for powerbooks than just the one link posted and apple's own?

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 26, 2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:
Are there any other power adapters made for powerbooks than just the one link posted and apple's own?
Kensington makes a universal one that has a Powerbook tip.

I was really surprised someone actually liked the old yoyo's. I called mine Sparky I, Sparky II, and Sparky III. Three burnouts after sparking near the plug with light use. Amazed there was no recall.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

gbarill
Nov 26, 2003, 07:42 PM

i have a first gen tibook and i have a yo yo adapter for mine, i love it! it sparks slightly every once in a while, but it hasn't burned out or anything. i was told it would burn out if you didn't keep it upright on the surface it was on, but mine hasn't burned out and it's almost 3 years old....
and i have also gotten comments from people who think it's cool. i don't think the new box adapters have the same charm, although they are just as useful...

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2003, 12:48 AM

i've had a powerbook pismo since august of '00 now. the only time i had to replace the yoyo was when i let my sister use the computer for 2 hours while i was out of the house....big mistake - she played THPS2 and then tripped over the cord. i got home and she immediately told me, and said not to worry. i pick up the prong that plugs into the back of the computer, and its completely warped. wow was i pissed. battery died and i was also moving at the time. lucky i was still under warranty, AND apple was recalling the brick adapters. apple sent a new yoyo and i also got my old one replaced. ended up with two.

the yoyo itself does not suck, the powercord sucks. mine burnt out, lucky i had that spare from apple :-)

btw - the new powerbooks have smaller jacks so the yoyo wont fit :-( sorry!
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

MickS
Senior User
Nov 27, 2003, 08:40 AM

The yo-yo chargers were nice, I still have a couple for my Pismo, but the new square ones pack into a hard laptop case better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules