Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Burn a backup to DVD

Burn a backup to DVD
Spaceman Spiff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2005, 11:32 PM

Hi, I need a way to burn a DVD to a DVD+R DL Disc. I used Mac The Ripper to backup my DVD to the hard drive, (Don't worry its mine) then put the files into a Dual Layer sized Disk Image. After that I burned it to Disc, but it was In Mac OS Extended Plus file Format. It was read by DVD Player.app, but when I tried to play it in my DVD Player it wouldn't read. Also, it wouldn't read in my windows computer. How would I format my Disk Image to UDF instead of Mac OS Extended? Thanks in advance.

foo2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2005, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
Hi, I need a way to burn a DVD to a DVD+R DL Disc. I used Mac The Ripper to backup my DVD to the hard drive, (Don't worry its mine) then put the files into a Dual Layer sized Disk Image. After that I burned it to Disc, but it was In Mac OS Extended Plus file Format. It was read by DVD Player.app, but when I tried to play it in my DVD Player it wouldn't read. Also, it wouldn't read in my windows computer. How would I format my Disk Image to UDF instead of Mac OS Extended? Thanks in advance.
Typically it's just a matter of telling your burner application (Toast 7?) that you want to write a DVD-Video disk.
iMac 3.3/i5 (2015) 24GB 2TB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.5 (2014) 16GB 500GB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.3 (2012) 16GB 250GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.4 (2010) 9GB 120GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.0 (E-2009) 4GB 120GB 10.13

Spaceman Spiff  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by foo2
Typically it's just a matter of telling your burner application (Toast 7?) that you want to write a DVD-Video disk.
I don't have Toast, or any other burner app, I am tring to do it using Disk Utility. Is their any other way?

Spoffo
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2005, 02:00 AM

I don't think it's possible to burn a DL disk from Disk Utility (at least I've never tried.) If you're going to do much video burning, you really should get Toast. You'll wonder how you ever got along without it. (If you're patient, every so often Roxio or someone like Amazon will have a quiet special on Toast for $50. Keep in touch with this forum and the mac forum at VideoHelp. Lots of people will post when they find a special price.)

PS: Double check that the burner hardware in your iMac supports dual layer burning before you spring for the software. As I recall, some do and some don't.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
It's meant to happen automatically: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50812073029849

Maybe it doesn't work for DL? Or maybe the dual formatting thing is enough to stop your set top DVD player from recognising it?

As mentioned, Toast will solve your problems.

Spaceman Spiff  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Spoffo
I don't think it's possible to burn a DL disk from Disk Utility (at least I've never tried.) If you're going to do much video burning, you really should get Toast. You'll wonder how you ever got along without it. (If you're patient, every so often Roxio or someone like Amazon will have a quiet special on Toast for $50. Keep in touch with this forum and the mac forum at VideoHelp. Lots of people will post when they find a special price.)

PS: Double check that the burner hardware in your iMac supports dual layer burning before you spring for the software. As I recall, some do and some don't.
Yes, my iMac (iSight model) supports DL burning (I've burnt a DVD DL before, but the disc format was Mac OS Extended (like a mac hard drive) instead of UDF (like a dvd). but anyway i purchased Toast Titanium to get the job done. It works great. Problem Solved.

P.S. Apparently the dual format Mac OS Extended/UDF formatted discs doesn't work with DL media. I'm running Tiger so that isn't the problem either. Hmm.
( Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; Jan 25, 2006 at 07:45 PM. Reason: More Information)

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2006, 11:23 PM

I've never tried it with the Finder, but it's worked for me with Toast. In my experience, DL burning is a bit less consistent than single layer. I've have had a few issues with burns not working, which really sucks with the price of DL disks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules