Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > NTFS to HFS+

NTFS to HFS+
Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2006, 10:19 PM

I recently purchased a Powerbook G4, I have a Maxtor 300GB External HDD but the file system is NTFS, so my PB can't write to it. Is there any way to convert NTFS to HFS+ (or whatever the Mac could read and write to)?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2006, 10:38 PM

Yes, you can reformat it to HFS+ in Disk Utility.
GET ALL YOUR DATA OFF THE DRIVE FIRST. EVERYTHING ON THE DRIVE WILL BE ERASED WHEN YOU REFORMAT IT.

Spaceman Spiff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 10:39 PM

Mac's can defiantly write to NTFS formatted drives, but they cannot boot from them. Have you tried hooking the Hard Drive up to the PowerBook? I would recommend reformatting it to HFS+, (If you can get the data off the drive first.)

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2006, 10:52 PM

Well, I know the Mac could reformat the HDD, but the whole reason I'm asking is, is there a way to convert it w/o erasing the hard drive?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2006, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
Mac's can defiantly write to NTFS formatted drives, but they cannot boot from them. Have you tried hooking the Hard Drive up to the PowerBook? I would recommend reformatting it to HFS+, (If you can get the data off the drive first.)
No, they can't. You're thinking of FAT32.

Originally Posted by Velocity211
Well, I know the Mac could reformat the HDD, but the whole reason I'm asking is, is there a way to convert it w/o erasing the hard drive?
I don't think so... Partition Magic supports many formats, but I don't think it supports Apple's HFS.

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2006, 12:24 AM

So the only way to convert the file system is to reformat the hard drive?

thesunisgone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2006, 02:14 AM

YES that's the only way. What do you want??? A magic spell!!!?

Man I hate people like this...these are the people who just can't grasp the difference between satellite tv and cable tv....uhhh...but they both have a box on my teevee set....duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. ..*drool*

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by thesunisgone
YES that's the only way. What do you want??? A magic spell!!!?

Man I hate people like this...these are the people who just can't grasp the difference between satellite tv and cable tv....uhhh...but they both have a box on my teevee set....duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. ..*drool*
This coming from the same guy who claims to have dropped his 17" Powerbook into the toilet.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 04:04 AM

Wow! Some people should definitively step down on coffee! Why are you expecting that everybody knows everything about anything? What's wrong with asking? That's the point of this forum, no?

Dr.Michael
Feb 16, 2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
I recently purchased a Powerbook G4, I have a Maxtor 300GB External HDD but the file system is NTFS, so my PB can't write to it. Is there any way to convert NTFS to HFS+ (or whatever the Mac could read and write to)?
Partition magic promises to convert between NTFS and FAT32 without reformating or data loss for disks > 300GB. FAT32 is read- and writable from Mac OS.

But check in any pc forum how reliable this is before you do it. Although I have good experiences with partition magic, it is owned now by symantec...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2006, 02:04 PM

FAT32 is still very slow reading/writing from a Mac, though.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Spaceman Spiff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
No, they can't. You're thinking of FAT32.
Thats right. embarrassed

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
Partition magic promises to convert between NTFS and FAT32 without reformating or data loss for disks > 300GB. FAT32 is read- and writable from Mac OS.

But check in any pc forum how reliable this is before you do it. Although I have good experiences with partition magic, it is owned now by symantec...
My luck with partition magic has been spotty, especially when dealing with ntfs partitions. I seem to always lose the partition or have problems with it after resizing it or hiding it, I eventually gave up on the application as it caused more problems then it solved. Things may have improved since I last used it (about 5 years ago).

Mike

Dr.Michael
Feb 17, 2006, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
My luck with partition magic has been spotty, especially when dealing with ntfs partitions. I seem to always lose the partition or have problems with it after resizing it or hiding it, I eventually gave up on the application as it caused more problems then it solved. Things may have improved since I last used it (about 5 years ago).

Mike
five years is a long time. But I also used it that long ago and then never again because I gave up Windows in 2001. It took a while until partiton magic fully supported NTFS. But I assume this has improved. It MUST because NTFS is standard on professional windows installations (cough - I mean as professional as windows can be).

But anyway, I propose to snoop around in windows forums to get reliable info. Here the knowledge density concerning windows is not high and definitely not professional enough.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 06:11 AM

I've been able to mount NTFS as a readable filesystem in OS X before, but I've never heard of converting between systems without a reformat.

Dr.Michael
Feb 17, 2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
I've been able to mount NTFS as a readable filesystem in OS X before, but I've never heard of converting between systems without a reformat.
Windows can do that. If you have a FAT32 it can be converted to NTFS without reformat. Thats very common, because windows is by default installed on a FAT32 even if you have chosen NTFS as your fs. The conversion to NTFS has always been done after the installation of the os.
Do have a look into the specs of partition magic. You may not have heard, but, as I assumed, windows knowledge is bad in a Mac forum.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2006, 10:22 AM

When HFS+ was introduced, you could convert HFS to HFS+ without reformatting.

Chris

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Feb 17, 2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
because windows is by default installed on a FAT32 even if you have chosen NTFS as your fs. The conversion to NTFS has always been done after the installation of the os.
This was only true up through NT4. Since Windows 2000, as long as you don't install Windows using Windows Setup in DOS mode, it formats and installs NTFS from the first step.

Forum Links
Forum Rules