Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > iPod program

iPod program
maylin
Mar 27, 2006, 08:58 PM

My friend recommended this program at http://www.bvdtech.com for my iPod. It seems like its just note files. My question is: Do you think it will harm the iPod? There are other companies that also have programs that work off note files like this one so it seems alright. My friend hasn't had any problems.

Spaceman Spiff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by edline
My friend recommended this program at http://www.bvdtech.com for my iPod. It seems like its just note files. My question is: Do you think it will harm the iPod? There are other companies that also have programs that work off note files like this one so it seems alright. My friend hasn't had any problems.
Well, first off this is an Application or iPod question, so I would recommend asking in the appropriate area next time, but I will answer your question. All the program does is add notes and folders to the notes section, something you could drag & drop there. It's the same as you using TextEdit & putting a .txt file there.

On a side note, To really write a program for iPod, you would have to some serious hacking to the iPod OS, something I'm pretty sure is classified as reverse engineering (Illegal).

P.S. If it works for your friend, don't you think it will work for you?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
Well, first off this is an Application or iPod question, so I would recommend asking in the appropriate area next time, but I will answer your question. All the program does is add notes and folders to the notes section, something you could drag & drop there. It's the same as you using TextEdit & putting a .txt file there.

On a side note, To really write a program for iPod, you would have to some serious hacking to the iPod OS, something I'm pretty sure is classified as reverse engineering (Illegal).

P.S. If it works for your friend, don't you think it will work for you?
There is nothing illegal about reverse engineering as long as you do not break encryption, especially if you're simply adding compatibility.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2006, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob
There is nothing illegal about reverse engineering as long as you do not break encryption, especially if you're simply adding compatibility.
Violation of the EULA. Legally questionable if not illegal.

The thing in question is not a program, it's a bunch of note files with hyperlinks.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2006, 12:51 PM

RealMedia managed to break the FairPlay system... that's reverse engineering, and it didn't seem like there was a lot legal recourse that Apple could take. Or was I not paying attention.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Forum Links
Forum Rules