Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Why is typing so S-L-O-W-?-?

Why is typing so S-L-O-W-?-?
ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2001, 12:57 PM

For some unknown reason typing on my G4 gets unbearably slow. It happens nearly once a day and only stops when I restart. What the hell is going on???? I'm going crazy!

It seems to have started after I put in the PCI card but I don't know. Here's the system:

G4 450 AGP
OS 9.2
512MB RAM
Belkin USB QuadBus PCI card
PacBell DSL/Asante FriendlyNet Router/Alcatel Modem
Umax Astra 1220U Scanner
Epson Photo 750 Printer
OnStream 30GB ADR Tape Drive
QPS Que 4x2x8 CD-RW
Wacom Art Pad II Tablet w/iMate ADB/USB Adapter
Palm V w/Keyspan PDA/USB Adapter
Microtech Cameramate USB SmartMedia reader
Sony DSR-11 VTR on Firewire
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 02:01 PM

Check to make sure your Mac isn't indexing. That can really kill performance. Open Sherlock > find > index volumes > make your choice of if/when to index.
Another possibility is fragmented directory entries. Doing a desktop rebuild will help some, but for a really good job, spend $100 and get Disk Warrior from Alsoft. It's saved my bacon too many times to remember.

Zack

ericwass  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2001, 02:08 PM

Thanks. I don't think it's indexing... I disabled that a while back. But I'll try rebuilding the desktop... maybe even disk warrior too.
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2001, 02:23 PM

I seem to recall someone with the same problem. I think it was a result of upgrading to 9.2.1. I could be wrong though.
Later
Chuck

ericwass  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2001, 02:47 PM

That reminds me. I am 9.2.1, not just 9.2
Who knows????

zos
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2001, 03:42 PM

Does it happen after your computer has gone to sleep by chance?

This is a known issue with internal zip drives going to sleep and not waking up correctly. A workaround is to keep a zip disk handy and insert it after waking up or when you notice the slowdown.

I've seen it work on numerous machines.

ericwass  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2001, 03:46 PM

Well, I've disabled full sleep because my USB PCI card won't wake properly from it :mad : . But, now that you mention it, it may occur after HD spindown and monitor sleep. Could that still be?

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: ericwass ]

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2001, 03:47 PM

Well, obviously, the first thing is if you think it is the PCI card, take it out and any drivers for it and reboot.

If that isn't it I seen something about a CD/DVD extension slowing down systems - Apple CD/DVD extension version 1.4.7. It seems that some have downgraded this to 1.4.3 or 1.4 and fixed the problem.

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Leonard ]
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

ericwass  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2001, 03:52 PM

Hmmm... link was broken. Any idea where I can find the old drivers?

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2001, 11:11 PM

i had that same problem and i had a scsi card in. maby that is the key? i have a friend with a scsi card and his slows down also =(

oh well i dont mind really just a restart.

tobster
Senior User
Oct 27, 2001, 12:56 AM

You have MSN messenger? I had this happen when i was running that... and when somebody sent me a message and i let it stay in the background screaming for me... my computer slowed down in that way (typing) until i gave msn my attention...

just a thought...

(happened in both os 9.2 and os x)

Tobs

sigler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2001, 12:47 PM

Also, it could be your uMax scanner...I had the same problem. When I disabled the scanner software, it fixed it.

Good luck!

rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2001, 01:51 PM

I have had the same problem with a B&W G3 and internal Zip drive. The main bus goes to sleep but doesn't fully awaken. I pop in a Zip disk when it happens and as soon as it mounts the problem is gone. Yes, its a known issue and Apple is reportedly working on a fix for the next update to OS 9x.

ericwass  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2001, 03:03 PM

Well, thank you all for your suggestions. Of course now hasn't happened in a number of days, so I can't test all the different options. But I'm sure it will again... and when it does, I'll let you know what works.
Thanks a lot.

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2001, 08:38 PM

Is it in all apps?

I have noticed a similar problem on my ibook, but it seems to be caused by either program compatability or not enough memory.

If I open IE fo x and netscape for x, or omniweb for that matter, my system chokes big time.

However as soon as I close the second broweser app, everything returns to normal.

It can affect other apps such as office and dreamweaver too.

Maybe more memory is the key in my case, but I wonder if there are certain programs that conflict with each other??
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

ericwass  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2001, 05:38 PM

Well... it seems to be the Zip drive. Sticking a zip in definitely perks up the computer again. Thank you all for your help. But HOW ANNOYING IS THAT!?!? And how did it develop? Hmmmm....

Forum Links
Forum Rules