Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Do I have a virus in X? I don't think so...

Do I have a virus in X? I don't think so...
IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2001, 09:46 PM

Are there any viruses for Macos X yet?

ntsc
Senior User
Oct 26, 2001, 12:47 PM

ermm not that i know of

i believe that virii on Mac OS X can only do limited damage unless run under root (which is disabled by default)
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2001, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by ntsc:
<STRONG>ermm not that i know of

i believe that virii on Mac OS X can only do limited damage unless run under root (which is disabled by default)</STRONG>
yep, but admins are pretty powerful too, and I'd still be stricken if my user folder got hosed by some virus.

iCartman
Senior User
Oct 26, 2001, 04:30 PM

If there are no virus's for OSX, then why are are Anti-Virus programs just for OSX?
respect mah athoritah!

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2001, 04:36 PM

if you build it, they will come...

every OS that I know of has viruses, and those that don't are probably operating systems with little to no significance (hence no one motivated enough to write viruses). So it's only a matter of time before they start to spring up, and that's when the antivirus progs will be worth it.

but I believe macro viruses are still available, regardless of whether runs Office 98, 2001, or v.X. Time will tell.

zos
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2001, 05:20 PM

What I'd like to know is why there is currently no anti-virus software that runs transparently in the background of OS X.

AFAIK the newest Virex is just an application and CLI program that can be scripted to run at specified times with Cron but other than that offers very little in the way of catching problems as they come along like it did in OS 8.x-9.x.

Once a company makes a transparent and active anti-virus program I'll run it.

On a side note...I was noticing that when I use the Startup Disk control panel from within 9.2.1 on my dedicated 9.2.1 drive that the 9.2.1 system on my 10.1 drive is showing as 9.1.1...WTF is that supposed to mean? I instantly thought of a virus riding on the September 11th tragedy but I don't notice any problems otherwise. Anyone else see this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules