Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Can you make a phone call on your laptop without the iphone?

Can you make a phone call on your laptop without the iphone?
kevs
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2016, 08:36 PM

I know that you can make a phone call from a laptop. But could I travel to a foreign country and make a phone call from my laptop if I did not bring the iphone with me?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2016, 09:04 PM

Skype comes to mind. Vonage has SoftPhone as well.
45/47

P
Oct 31, 2016, 06:19 AM

Lots of companies have VoIP solutions that let you call from the computer, but Skype is the obvious choice. If you bring your Apple headphones, you can plug them into any MBP headphone port and use them as a headset - yes, the microphone works too.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Oct 31, 2016, 11:40 PM

I've been doing that for over a decade with Skype. The rates are much, much lower compared to using actual phones. I second P's suggestion to use the Apple earbuds, because this avoids echoes and many other artifacts.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2016, 06:08 PM

Thanks guys! Sorry for the delay, email notification may not be working now? Can you please check on that for me P?

Well, this is actually about Verizon Wireless, and the Apple iphone (6). I want to call my iphone number to check my voicemails from my laptop, but I don't think the technology is there yet right?

What is an MBP port?

In short, lets say you are with Verizon Wireless on iphone and you do not want to bring your iphone to Brazil for fear of it being stolen, but you would like to check your voicemials which are coming in.

Is this possible?

If Verizon wireless had the visual voicemails online that would be perfect, but they don't.

They do offer a travel pass, if you bring the phone, but then you have to bring the phone and pay $10 day. Hence question: is there an easy way to call into my Verizon US number from abroad so I can check voicemails coming in?

P
Nov 5, 2016, 07:44 PM

In general, you can call any number from your laptop using Skype if you have a Skype Out subscription. Prices for this you have to check up, but generally is is cheap.

MBP = MacBook Pro. Of course, if you only want to listen to voicemail, it is fine to use the built-in speakers.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2016, 09:47 PM

Thanks P, I think its $14 month, hence I could just have the voicemail forward to a pre-existing voicemail I own...

Sad there is no easy free way to check my voicemails from laptop.

BTW it says I'm subscribed to this thread, but not getting notification.

OreoCookie
Nov 5, 2016, 09:50 PM

Skype can call any number you can call with your phone, the provider doesn't matter. You need to buy credit and the rates (especially if you call internationally) are very good. You can even use Skype on your iPhone to call your iPhone.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

P
Nov 6, 2016, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by kevs View Post
BTW it says I'm subscribed to this thread, but not getting notification.
Yup, I heard you and made a report about it. Seems like there is a configuration error on the mail server. It is being investigated.

Thorzdad
Nov 6, 2016, 11:28 AM

I think you can log into your online Verizon account and access your voicemails there.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2016, 02:40 PM

45/47

Thorzdad
Nov 6, 2016, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I'm guessing those don't work on wifi-only iPads, right?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2016, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I'm guessing those don't work on wifi-only iPads, right?
Does the tablet have to be a Verizon Wireless tablet in order to use voice or video in Verizon Messages?
No. It can be any tablet that has access to the Google Play™ Store or the Apple® App StoreSM. However the voice quality may vary depending on the type of device and the strength of your wireless connection.
I'm trying to find if your phone needs to be on. If it does it's a moot point.
45/47

Thorzdad
Nov 7, 2016, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I'm trying to find if your phone needs to be on. If it does it's a moot point.
I was hoping the app would let a Verizon customer (i.e. me) make sms texts to other Verizon customers (i.e. both of my kids) when I only have my wifi iPad (Kind of like how NBC Sports' app lets you watch live events anywhere, as long as you're a cable customer.)

That would be brilliant. I've been looking for some sort of app that would let me text my kids when away from my phone. My wife is on an iPhone, so we always have Messages no matter what. My kids and I are still rocking the flip phone thing.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2016, 09:42 AM

Download the app and test it out. I may do that since I have a wifi only Air
45/47

andi*pandi
Nov 7, 2016, 12:12 PM

I can text and receive texts on my ipad as long as my phone is on *somewhere*. I've also answered calls. I haven't tried the Verizon app though, this is just basic apple.

Thorzdad
Nov 7, 2016, 01:31 PM

My phone and my kids' phones aren't Apple devices. Only my iPad is, and it's wifi-only.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2016, 04:48 PM

My phone and my kids' phones aren't Apple devices. Only my iPad is, and it's wifi-only.
I'm going to download the app and try it on my wifi only iPad. I'm doing OT today so it will be later tonight.
45/47

Thorzdad
Nov 11, 2016, 10:08 AM

Chongo...Did you give it a try?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2016, 11:56 AM

Chongo...Did you give it a try?
I downloaded Verizon Messages on my iPad Air, no luck. It keeps disabling voice calls. It may be because I need to turn off iMessage.
45/47

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2016, 12:17 PM

I'm want to just bring my laptop on the trip not the iphone or ipad. Someone suggested Google voice, so I'm looking into that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules