Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > GraphicConverter 5.3 problems

GraphicConverter 5.3 problems
Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2004, 02:41 PM

I've been using GC for years with no problem. After updating to 5.3 I find that if I open a high resolution image, greater than 72 x 72, do a 'select all' and copy the image to the clipboard it reduces the image to a smaller proportioned image. For example, an image with a resolution of 400 x 400 and 650 x 463 in size gets reduced to 117 by 83 when copied to the clipboard. Obviously when pasted into another application the image is way too small.

Any idea what the problem is? I've been emailing with GC support but with the time differential we are limited to 1 email a day. So far no solution.

GC Support says that GC copies correctly for them. Can anyone verify this for me and maybe have a possible solution. Preview, Safari and quickview all copy the full resolution to the clipboard.

Thanks,

Doug

ae77
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2004, 05:45 PM

i don't have this problem. just tested with an 800x600 image. it kept the original resolution for me.
^_^

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2004, 06:47 PM

Do you recall what the resolution of the image you tried was? Only happens to me if the original image resolution is greater than 72 x 72. As I recall this was not a problem with version 5.2

Thanks,

Doug

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 08:07 AM

I have tested this with a 254ppi x 254ppi image and it too retains its correct resolution and dimensions when cutting and pasting into Preview or Photoshop.

Do you see the same issue under a test user account - that is, is it specific to just your user account of your system?

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2004, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the idea JKT. I set up a Test Account and tried that. No change. Still copies the image at a proportionally reduced size.

Any other ideas--I'm getting desperate since I use GC so much to modify images and then paste them into other applications.

Even though the Test Account, which sets up it's own preferences didn't work, I deleted the preference file in my Home account and that didn't change things either.

Doug

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2004, 07:02 PM

There must be a GraphicConverter expert out there somewhere. : )

Doug

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2004, 10:08 PM

I'm not sure if the prob is with GC or Preview (I don't have Photoshop). I reproduced your error in Preview BUT was able to correct it by going into Preview -> Preferences ->Images and unchecking "Respect Image DPI for Actual Size". It makes a little sense, actually ... if a pic is a higher dpi, it will translate into a smaller image relative to the DPI of your monitor (eg. if your monitor is, say, 100 dpi then pasting a 300 dpi image would require Preview to reduce the image to 1/3 in order to keep its same size relative to your montor)

Who knows ... I can't really explain the reasoning ... but unchecking that box in Preview seems to work. Look for a similar pref in Photoshop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules