Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Hands On: Threes 1.3 (iOS)

Hands On: Threes 1.3 (iOS)
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 22, 2015, 04:25 PM

We've been a big fan of games like 1024 and 2048, not just for their fast gameplay, but also because they give us a fun mental workout as we try to reach the highest number possible. If you're fans of these games, allow us to point you toward Threes, a number-based puzzler.

Threes is another number puzzles, but with some marked differences to titles you may have already played. Your goal is still to combine pairs of numbers together to create space and increase your score. However, when you slide numbers about on the screen, they only move one space, rather than sliding to the next wall. Numbers also only combined if forced together when touching the wall, meaning that you've got quite a bit more control over where and how things end up. Threes also includes a Tetris-like "this is coming up next" spot at the top of the screen as well, which allows you to plan moves accordingly.

The theme of Threes is charming, with a nice, cartoony interface. Each number you combine has its own personality, and numbers 48 and over each have unique backstories you can unlock. While it doesn't change the gameplay, it's a little bonus Easter Egg that kept us wanting us to play more each time.

If you like 2048, we're willing to bet you'd like Threes. The gameplay is similar, but it feels a bit more thought out and we like it better. It rewards planning out moves in advance, which is good for all you tacticians out there. Threes is available for the iPad and the iPhone, and costs $3.

Who Threes is for:
If you love number-based puzzles, and are looking for a cute game to chill out with, this is a nice one to add to your collection.

Who Threes isn't for:
If you hated 2048, or if you just aren't into causal puzzle games, this isn't your type of game.

-- Amber Neely (@SurferAmber)
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 22, 2015 at 08:28 PM. )

ibook_steve
Jun 22, 2015, 08:40 PM

How can it not be mentioned that 2048 is a clone of Threes, which was the original and essentially was stolen? Plus, Threes has been out for well over a year. Why is this mentioned now?
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2015, 04:09 AM

ibook_steve, you beat me to it. It's one of the great cosmic injustices that people generally consider 2048 the original and Threes the ripoff. I've tried both and found 2048 to be... meh. Threes on the other, I've been playing every single day since the day it came out. There's not one single other game in the world that had me hooked for a longer time, and I don't even consider myself a gamer on any level.

Long story short: Threes, best game ever.

binarybear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2015, 08:14 AM

How do you unlock the easter egg?

Forum Links
Forum Rules