Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Advice on quality gigabit switch for business LAN

Advice on quality gigabit switch for business LAN
Cold Warrior
Aug 14, 2008, 09:58 PM

I'm looking for a gigabit switch with at least 20 ports for client computers and maybe several inputs, where the switch is capable of using those inputs simultaneously to increase total bandwidth.

In my specific setup, I have the LAN's router, where each port is gigabit, and I have 20 client machines in another room currently connected to a 100 Mb switch. This switch is fed by a single gigabit (over cat5e) line. I'd like to get a new switch, as described above, and run several gigabit lines to it for a total of, for example, 3 Gb/s of bandwidth into the switch.

Recommendations on a switch?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2008, 11:12 PM

Cisco 2960-24... 20 gigglebit ports plus 4 uplinks for just under $2k. If you might someday need another port (*gasp*), the the 2960-48 gets you 44+4 for $3500. Newegg has them both.

If you're experiencing sticker shock, yes, you can get a 48 port Linksys or Netgear for under a grand; I wouldn't put one in my data center.
( Last edited by mduell; Aug 14, 2008 at 11:50 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules