Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > FarCry 4

FarCry 4
sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2015, 05:43 PM

Instead of the "beat game, make huge post that nobody responds to" framework I usually use I'm going to go a different route and just spit some thoughts out as they come, so no-one can respond multiple times.

First off I've never played any FC game, save for a few hours of FC2 on my Mac years back. It always looked appealing, but fell behind under a wave of AAA shooter titles. Thanks to a drought of current gen games I was able to pick it up for pretty cheap. Here are my thoughts thus far.

•What is the deal with uPLay? I have to have a PS+ account and uPLay account to access online content, what kind of hellish nightmareland are we living in? First launch of the game uPlay didn't even work right, so I started (and continue to do so) to play the campaign offline.

•The story is fairly outlandish, since you go from "I'm just here to scatter ashes" to dropping C4 from a hang-glider on dozens of enemies. But that seems to fit the whole theme of the game. Action is the only dish on the menu, and supplies are not limited.

•Too many actions are bound to square. I don't mind the "hold to loot" functionality instead of instant loot, but when there's a pile of corpses you will inevitably end up switching out your weapon accidentally a few times.

•Loving the enhanced bow, with no silenced option this early in the game I find arrows a good start to dealing with outposts.

•Didn't realize how plentiful money was, agonized over my first weapon purchases, but now I can see this game wants you to use as many guns as possible and doesn't really penalize you for spending money on things you may not need.

•Playing on Hard is very doable, I've only liberated two outposts (and an elephant did most of the work on one) but I've only died a couple times due to my own incompetence with the controls.

•The world looks freaking enormous, I have only captured two towers and yet the area I have uncovered is pretty big, yet only a tiny fraction of the whole map. Beating this game 100% probably won't happen.

•Graphics are really purty, and the framerate is very smooth. Noticeable pop-in when flying the little chopper, nothing unforgivable.

•Blew up a car full of enemies and the fire spread organically to the surrounding grass, turning into a growing circle of embers and finally petering out after scorching a large area. Very cool.

•Auto-drive feature is a nifty idea, but it doesn't always work. I had a few crashes and a few complete wrong ways, but otherwise it's cool to let the autopilot drive while you shoot out the windows.

•Was dicking around near the edge of a body of water, stood still at the waters edge to swap some weapons around and an alligator killed me.

Stayed up till 1am last night, unintentionally, so It's fair to say the game is getting its hooks into me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 14, 2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
•Was dicking around near the edge of a body of water, stood still at the waters edge to swap some weapons around and an alligator killed me.
Haha, we FC3ers know about that already...

P
Apr 14, 2015, 09:48 AM

The combination of Uplay and the moronic story of ever FC game I've ever touched means that I haven't bothered with this one yet. Will probably pick it up at a sale some time.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

badidea
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2015, 10:47 AM

•The world looks freaking enormous, I have only captured two towers and yet the area I have uncovered is pretty big, yet only a tiny fraction of the whole map. Beating this game 100% probably won't happen.
I probably spent 70% of my playing time with side-missions and 30% with story missions and it took me roughly 80h to uncover the whole map and finish the story!
As always with FC I found it quite difficult to find a good balance between story and side missions since I now still have a few side missions left to do but lost interest since the story is over!
The world IS enormous!!!

•Auto-drive feature is a nifty idea, but it doesn't always work. I had a few crashes and a few complete wrong ways, but otherwise it's cool to let the autopilot drive while you shoot out the windows.
Auto-drive is helpful but also sometimes quite dangerous because you can lose karma points in accidents with civilians!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2015, 05:23 PM

I got this game for free with my graphics card purchase. I've installed it, but I've yet to venture into those waters.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 15, 2015, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I got this game for free with my graphics card purchase. I've installed it, but I've yet to venture into those waters.
Beware of alligators

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2015, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Beware of alligators
I live in Louisiana. We don't understand the threat.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 15, 2015, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I live in Louisiana. We don't understand the threat.
Okay, let me rephrase then: Beware of aquatic reptilian gays

You guys understand that threat! Heyoooooo

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2015, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Okay, let me rephrase then: Beware of aquatic reptilian gays

You guys understand that threat! Heyoooooo
Ba-dum-tish.

I wish most people around here used a word as tepid as "gay."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 15, 2015, 11:19 AM

Oof. Now I'm sad

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2015, 04:56 PM

•Decided to turn the minimap off, found it was detracting too much from the on-screen action.

•Grenade launcher counting as a sidearm is a little OP, not that I'm complaining. Being in a helicopter and raining exploding death on everything is fuuuun.

•Little to much action. There's never a moment when I can wander around hunting game without constant Golden Path skirmishes or base defense/random encounters.

•This is not news to anyone who keeps up with videogames, but man, these animals are a goddamn pain in the ass. The eagles terrorize me, the wild dogs annoy me and the big cats are brutal up close. As for a pack of wolves, fuggetaboutit.

•Continuing on the animals, I don't like being more or less forced to murder every animal. Snow Leopards are just about my favorite animal on Earth so even killing a virtual one leaves me with pangs of conscience. I hate killing the big cats, dislike the whine of the wilds dogs when shot but I take great joy in murdering eagles.

•I find myself wishing I could skip the cutscenes, an option Metro had but I never used, but FC4 doesn't and I'd use it all the time.

•The skill tree doesn't have much that's jumping out at me past a few must-haves. Mostly I'm buying things just to spend my skill points.

•What is there to spend money on, past the super expensive signature weapons that have to be unlocked first? I'm almost always at full cash. I've stopped looting bodies after battle.

•Taking Outposts with nothing but the bow is rapidly becoming my tactic of choice.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2015, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
•Continuing on the animals, I don't like being more or less forced to murder every animal. Snow Leopards are just about my favorite animal on Earth so even killing a virtual one leaves me with pangs of conscience. I hate killing the big cats, dislike the whine of the wilds dogs when shot but I take great joy in murdering eagles.
Get used to that. That seems to be the latest trend in Far Cry and Assassin's Creed games. It started with another game that I can't remember the name of... wild west game, you ride a horse...

It sounds like Far Cry 4 is similar to 3. Sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to pick it up when I have time.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

badidea
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2015, 11:07 AM

•Grenade launcher counting as a sidearm is a little OP, not that I'm complaining. Being in a helicopter and raining exploding death on everything is fuuuun.
That's why the grenade launcher ALWAYS was my choice as a sidearm!
•This is not news to anyone who keeps up with videogames, but man, these animals are a goddamn pain in the ass. The eagles terrorize me, the wild dogs annoy me and the big cats are brutal up close. As for a pack of wolves, fuggetaboutit.
Yes, this is quite annyoing throughout the whole game. Especially when you want take out difficult outposts very quietly with a bow or sniper rifle from far away and suddenly have to fight a pack of wolves or dogs and get instantly detected by the guards.
Sometimes elephants started to attack me for whatever reason and I had to kill them. This always made me feel quite bad.
•What is there to spend money on, past the super expensive signature weapons that have to be unlocked first? I'm almost always at full cash. I've stopped looting bodies after battle.
You will probably always have too much money! I bought everything I could, even though I didn't even need or want it, just to empty my wallet and get rid of the messages that it's almost full!

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Get used to that. That seems to be the latest trend in Far Cry and Assassin's Creed games. It started with another game that I can't remember the name of... wild west game, you ride a horse...
Red Dead Redemption?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2015, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Red Dead Redemption?
Thanks for reminding me how freaking great that game was (animal slaughter unrelated to my enjoyment).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 21, 2015, 03:55 PM

Yes, this is quite annyoing throughout the whole game. Especially when you want take out difficult outposts very quietly with a bow or sniper rifle from far away and suddenly have to fight a pack of wolves or dogs and get instantly detected by the guards.
I used to solve this problem by throwing bait into the camp.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2015, 03:09 PM

Red Dead Redemption?
Yeah, that's the game I was thinking of. I didn't play it, but heard it had hunting in it.

Heard it was a great game too.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2015, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Yeah, that's the game I was thinking of. I didn't play it, but heard it had hunting in it.

Heard it was a great game too.
It's the best game, nay experience of last gen for me.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 1, 2015, 09:55 AM

•Little to much action. There's never a moment when I can wander around hunting game without constant Golden Path skirmishes or base defense/random encounters.
At least in FC3, once you own a few bases, you'll find far fewer enemies randomly in those areas and you can enjoy nature more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules