Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Amazon's Kindle

Amazon's Kindle
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 12:02 PM

Amazon has an eBook reader called Kindle.

According to Amazon's homepage image it uses cellphone data but with no monthly charges to let you download books straight to the device.
It also used E-ink for the screen to give 30 hours of battery life.
88,000 books available initially and new releases are $9.99.

Is anyone else interested in this? If I didn't just buy a MacBook I'd place an order for one now. I'm going to keep an eye on initial reviews to see if it is everything that Amazon claims it'll be and place and order shortly.

I've always been a huge fan of eBooks ever since I had my old Psion Revo, and now the eBook reader for my iPhone. But the issue has always been getting eBooks.
At $9.99 a book and with Amazon behind it, I can see this working.

I wonder if the eBook is going to be an open format or will Amazon do something like iTunes + iPod with protected .aac files?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 12:07 PM

I'll be buying version 2 when it comes out.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 12:30 PM

A list of all the eBooks on Amazon.com

There are some books that cost $1,000+

Cipher13
Nov 19, 2007, 12:30 PM

I'm not sure I could read a book on anything other than paper.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2007, 12:39 PM

Paper > everything.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 12:49 PM

Chicks > paper
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Chicks > paper
Chicks and eReaders are similar: they cost MUCH MUCH more than paper

-t

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2007, 01:03 PM

I think i'd be interested in a version 2 as well. See where they go with this, hopefully they won't take the Apple/iPod route and not open up their eBooks to compatible devices... what about iPod touch/iPhone?!? That's what I'd be interested in. Otherwise, no way I'm spending 400 bucks on something to have an extra device to carry around (thats why I got the iPhone in the first place!)
( Last edited by Nodnarb; Nov 19, 2007 at 01:12 PM. )

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
I'm not sure I could read a book on anything other than paper.
That's my main concern too. But I'm pretty confident that eInk will solve that problem if not now, then soon as we develop the technology.

I'm extremely excited by the possibilities opened up by eBooks once we have sufficiently advanced readers (god I'm a nerd...), and this is the first reader that's even come close to having that. The ability to download books directly to the device is huge.

Kindle is set to be huge, but I think the opportunity for competition that it opens up will be even better. I'd really like to see a similar device that's more open. For example, get rid of the EVDO and replace it with WiFi, then just set up some sort of standard for eBook WiFi storefronts so that brick and mortar bookstores and libraries can set up WiFi networks and sell eBook copies of the books they actually have on their shelves. I rarely go into a bookstore already knowing what books I'm going to walk out with, and the browsing is one of the best parts. And while doing that you often get to meet people with similar interests as you who might be able to recommend a book you'd really like (or who you might want to take out for dinner ). Internet bookstores just don't have that possibility.

My ideal eBook reader would use WiFi to connect with an eBook network run by the store I'm in and would have a barcode reader (or RFID reader, or whatever) so that when you find the book you want on the shelf you just scan it and it's automatically downloaded to your reader. It would also be very cool if they did something similar at public libraries. But I can definitely see where it might cause issues if libraries were distributing digital copies of copyrighted works for free.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 01:17 PM

I agree Nodnarb, the $399 is a big initial purchase, especially when there is already a device (my iPhone) that, in my opinion, would work just as well.

I'd love it if they worked with Apple to create a Kindle application for the iPhone. I've read books with the iPhone eBook reader (installed using apptap) and it works well, but the problem is getting eBooks.
I don't have a problem paying $9.99 for a book but it's the initial $399 that I'd be upset about if the Kindle idea didn't work for Amazon and they ditched it. I don't think it'll happen, but publishers might not provide lots of eBooks and that too would prematurely end the Kindle's life.

Music/iPods can't suffer the same thing since if everyone stopped putting their music on the iTunes Store I can always buy a CD and rip it myself. The Kindle does not seem to be able to get books from anywhere other than Amazon.

Maybe waiting for version two might be a good idea.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 01:22 PM

I want one so much! Wish they had a UK version.
we don't have time to stop for gas

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
My ideal eBook reader would use WiFi to connect with an eBook network run by the store I'm in and would have a barcode reader (or RFID reader, or whatever) so that when you find the book you want on the shelf you just scan it and it's automatically downloaded to your reader. It would also be very cool if they did something similar at public libraries. But I can definitely see where it might cause issues if libraries were distributing digital copies of copyrighted works for free.
I like the idea of a public library store front.
Currently it could be accomplished by maybe using the keyboard to type in the ISBN number, but it's the location that won't work over EV-DO (I don't have any ideas how it could) and that's where WiFI would work well.

In regards to the copyrighted books for free. I assume all the books are DRM, so maybe libraries could have a version of the book that would expire in a week (or however long you'd borrow a book from the library for). Maybe libraries could work with Amazon so that you could log into a "local library" store front?
So you're still using EV-DO but no matter where you are you can borrow a book from your library.

All just thinking out loud.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2007, 01:55 PM

It sounds mostly awesome, except for 2 biggies: the $400 price, and the fact that to read other formats, you have to e-mail them to your Kindle account and pay 10¢ per conversion. That latter bit is nonsensical, since they could obviously make a program that does the conversion on your desktop. Perhaps doing it on their end makes it a teeny bit harder to crack their encryption, but that shouldn't be an issue, since they shouldn't be adding DRM to files that didn't have them in the first place (unless you ask, for some bizarre reason).

The thing that really bugs me about the price is that they probably could have made it for less. If Amazon isn't charging for the EV-DO-based WhisperNet, they must be subsidizing at least part of that cost from device sales. Assuming a good selection, I would happily pay $200 for one of these things with Wi-Fi. Connected-where-I-have-Wi-Fi is damn near as good as always-connected for me.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post

because they retail for $1000+

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 02:00 PM

I'm really wanting to get Compression Wood in Gymnosperms for $719.20, myself.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 02:02 PM

saving of $200.. not bad..

Really want one. Wonder if it'd work without EVDO.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 02:19 PM

I'm glad it's not wi-fi or hotspot crippled -- that makes things a lot easier for me.

I wish it wasn't so dadgum ugly, though.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 19, 2007, 02:25 PM

I'm looking at getting "Handbook of Nanophase and Nanostructured Materials: Volume I: SynthesisVolume II: CharacterizationVolume III: Materials Systems and Applications IVolume IV: Materials Systems and Applications II"

It's probably my favorite book ever.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2007, 02:29 PM

I'm skeptical - I don't feel like spending 400 bucks for a reader when I only spend between 4 and 15 bucks for a book. What's the draw.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 02:32 PM

In regards to the copyrighted books for free. I assume all the books are DRM, so maybe libraries could have a version of the book that would expire in a week (or however long you'd borrow a book from the library for). Maybe libraries could work with Amazon so that you could log into a "local library" store front?
So you're still using EV-DO but no matter where you are you can borrow a book from your library.
Yeah, that was my thought too. Some sort of DRM that causes your checked out books to expire could definitely do the trick. I don't think we'll see anything like that coming from the Kindle though. But now that it's available, and it looks like a pretty fantastic product hopefully we'll see the whole eBook thing really start to take off. Once it does we'll start getting other readers that can compete with the Kindle, and that's when we'll start seeing the really cool features that we want.

What Amazon should definitely do with this is start working with universities and textbook publishers. I could definitely see them working out a deal with a few universities where the school buys a Kindle for every student (some of them already buy laptops for every student anyway) and they get all their textbooks electronically. That would be sweet.

It should also have Bluetooth (or, again, WiFi) so that it can connect to wireless printers.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 02:32 PM

And most of those $1000 ebooks are $500 cheaper than the print version.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I'm skeptical - I don't feel like spending 400 bucks for a reader when I only spend between 4 and 15 bucks for a book. What's the draw.
The draw for me is that rather than spending $300 for a new bookshelf every time I fill one up, I spend $400 once and never need any more storage space. Also, when I travel I don't have to worry about lugging enough books around to keep my occupied (I like to read on planes, and usually go through 2 or more per flight) and I don't have to worry about being limited to the crappy selection at the airport book stores because I forgot to buy them ahead of time (I can't tell you how many crappy books I've read because of that).

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 02:39 PM

It's also easier to NOT have to hold open a book while on the toilet. Do I have a witness?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2007, 02:41 PM

(I like to read on planes, and usually go through 2 or more per flight) and I don't have to worry about being limited to the crappy selection at the airport book stores because I forgot to buy them ahead of time (I can't tell you how many crappy books I've read because of that).
You will have to turn it off during takeoff and landing, though.... I wonder if Amazon could ever get it made an "approved device" so people could read during takeoff and landing?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
You will have to turn it off during takeoff and landing, though.... I wonder if Amazon could ever get it made an "approved device" so people could read during takeoff and landing?
True, I didn't think of that.

Although since the screen is eInk, it takes no power to maintain what's currently on the screen only to change it so you'd at least be able to read a single page.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2007, 02:49 PM

The draw for me is that rather than spending $300 for a new bookshelf every time I fill one up, I spend $400 once and never need any more storage space. Also, when I travel I don't have to worry about lugging enough books around to keep my occupied (I like to read on planes, and usually go through 2 or more per flight) and I don't have to worry about being limited to the crappy selection at the airport book stores because I forgot to buy them ahead of time (I can't tell you how many crappy books I've read because of that).
True but I can take a book to the beach, not worry about dropping a book or leaving it at the airport. The cost is high enough that you have to treat it like a laptop in some ways.

I'm not saying it will fail, I am skeptical. Also I'd rather buy a book and get a tangible object that I can take anywhere. I've also known to pick up a book I read a few years beforehand and reread it because I enjoyed it so much.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 02:52 PM

A big reason for me is that I find it so difficult to read a book on the subway if I am not seated. Holding a book with one hand and the other hand holding the handrail doesn't leave a hand to turn pages. The fact that this seems to be easily used with one hand is great.

nonhuman has a great point about flights and airport bookstores.

Hopefully there will be somewhere that we will be able to try these in person soon.

I wonder if someone will be able to figure out how to tether a Mac to this to use free EV-DO wireless. It does come with a USB cable.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 03:07 PM

True but I can take a book to the beach, not worry about dropping a book or leaving it at the airport. The cost is high enough that you have to treat it like a laptop in some ways.

I'm not saying it will fail, I am skeptical. Also I'd rather buy a book and get a tangible object that I can take anywhere. I've also known to pick up a book I read a few years beforehand and reread it because I enjoyed it so much.
Good point. The cost is an issue.

And, as convenient as it would be, I'm not sure that I still wouldn't prefer an actual book. For the smell, if nothing else. But I do think that eBooks are where we're heading. In a couple years we'll be able to get eBook readers better than this for $100 or less, I'm sure.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2007, 03:57 PM

But I do think that eBooks are where we're heading. In a couple years we'll be able to get eBook readers better than this for $100 or less, I'm sure.
Maybe but they've been saying that now for how many years.

To me it sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 04:12 PM

Not at all.

I don't know how old you are, but some of us remember buying the shelf racks for our cassettes (and the occasional 8-track). It was a book when CDs came out, yet we still had to have 8 pound organizers. Then, MP3s and the like came along, and suddenly we were able to do away with all those cases and organizers once digital music arrived.

So it is with books.

My issue with eBooks has always been with the reader, because I didn't want to have to read text on a little bitty screen, or have like, 1 paragraph on the screen at a time.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2007, 04:14 PM

No.

Books will never go away.

They don't need batteries.
They're very portable.
They don't wear out (normally).
You can still write on them.

I'll never, EVER get an e-book reader.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2007, 04:17 PM

No browser. Less space than an iPod. Lame.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 04:21 PM

Did I say books will go away?

No.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2007, 04:34 PM

I don't know how old you are, but some of us remember buying the shelf racks for our cassettes (and the occasional 8-track).
Old enough to remember when 8-tracks were the hot thing

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2007, 04:35 PM

Did I say books will go away?

No.
You said:

Then, MP3s and the like came along, and suddenly we were able to do away with all those cases and organizers once digital music arrived.

So it is with books.
Sorry, did I misunderstand English here or something?

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2007, 04:36 PM

Old enough to remember when 8-tracks were the hot thing
I hated them. S

[k-chunk]

o much.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 04:41 PM

From Engadet:
• You can bind five or six devices to a single account, and share books you've purchased to those accounts. There's no simultaneous reading lock, so if you and your significant other are on the same Amazon account you can both read the same book at the same time on your Kindles.

From Gizmodo:
• Can I browse the web on this thing? Since the EV-DO service is free, we suspected that the answer is "no." But it turns out, you CAN browse the web! Something called "Basic Web" browsing available in the "Experimental" section of the menu, along with "Play Music" and "Ask Kindle NowNow."

• How do graphics look on the web? There are two web modes. Default mode lets you see text but pictures come in tiny and hard to see. Advanced mode displays the web page the way you'd expect on a normal browser, but it cuts off text and is harder to manage.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
You said:

But we still have CDs. We still have cassettes. We probably even still have 8-tracks if you look hard enough. We still have LPs as well. Just because something is replaced as the mainstream format, doesn't mean that older formats don't still exist in a niche where they happen to be particularly well suited.

Digital formats provide major major advantages. You need much less physical space to store the same amount of data. The data is much more easily accessible. The data is much more easily copied. The data is much more easily searched. The data is much more easily sorted. The data is much more easily modified.

Yes, eBooks don't currently offer all the features of real books. But someday they will. No we'll never, as a society, completely get rid of books. But there will be plenty of people who personally get rid of paper books in favor of eBooks. eBooks are perfect for anyone who spends a lot of time on the move or who has very limited space to work with.
( Last edited by nonhuman; Nov 19, 2007 at 04:53 PM. )

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 04:50 PM

I think this is an unnecessary device. When finally get an iPhone, I'll be able to replace my cellphone, iPod, and Palm all with one device. Why carry around another device with a screen? The Palm has been a great ebook reader, and the iPhone will be even better.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 19, 2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Why carry around another device with a screen? The Palm has been a great ebook reader, and the iPhone will be even better.

My issue with eBooks has always been with the reader, because I didn't want to have to read text on a little bitty screen, or have like, 1 paragraph on the screen at a time.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I think this is an unnecessary device. When finally get an iPhone, I'll be able to replace my cellphone, iPod, and Palm all with one device. Why carry around another device with a screen? The Palm has been a great ebook reader, and the iPhone will be even better.
In my opinion the main issue with eBooks is the lack of actual content, not the device. There are many devices that will work as an eBook reader, but when I went to Barnes and Noble this weekend to buy some books there wasn't a way for me to get that them as an eBook (as far as I know).

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2007, 05:05 PM

But we still have CDs. We still have cassettes. We probably even still have 8-tracks if you look hard enough. We still have LPs as well. Just because something is replaced as the mainstream format, doesn't mean that older formats don't still exist in a niche where they happen to be particularly well suited.

Digital formats provide major major advantages. You need much less physical space to store the same amount of data. The data is much more easily accessible. The data is much more easily copied. The data is much more easily searched. The data is much more easily sorted. The data is much more easily modified.

Yes, eBooks don't currently offer all the features of real books. But someday they will. No we'll never, as a society, completely get rid of books. But there will be plenty of people who personally get rid of paper books in favor of eBooks. eBooks are perfect for anyone who spends a lot of time on the move or who has very limited space to work with.
So explain how another DEVICE which is the SAME SIZE as a book is "perfect".

It's not like we went from LPs with a diamond stylus to MP3 here, we're talking ADDING problems with a book reader.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 05:12 PM

So explain how another DEVICE which is the SAME SIZE as a book is "perfect".

It's not like we went from LPs with a diamond stylus to MP3 here, we're talking ADDING problems with a book reader.
Um, it's exactly like we went from LPs to MP3s here... That single device that is the same size as a single book (and I wouldn't want it any smaller, I've tried reading eBook on my iPhone and it sucked) holds a whole library of books. I have a whole wall of my office taken up by bookshelves, as well as a few smaller ones in convenient places and I still don't have enough shelf space for all my books.

With eBooks I could have every single one of my books take up less space than my laptop.

Sealobo
Nov 19, 2007, 05:24 PM

a paper book is more romantic.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2007, 05:35 PM

There will be a place for eBook readers, and this new one may even see some success. But for some people, there will be no substitute for a paper book. For one thing, you can lend it to someone without running afoul of some draconian EULA. And you can make notes all over it, and as long as you don't lose the book you still have all your notes right where you left them. And although you need a light source to read a paper book, the book itself will never need recharging.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 06:04 PM

You said:

Since you want to be a jackass, yes, you did misunderstand the English. You're the Einstein that jumped to the conclusion that saying "we were able to blah blah blah" equals saying "we will do blah blah blah."

Happy now?

Back to the topic...

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 06:24 PM

Jeez, that thing is getting slaughtered in the comments on amazon.

I am in two minds about it. The ability to carry an entire library in a small package appeals. The fact that it relies on batteries doesn't. There's something about real books, they're so low tech they just work. No proprietary format nonsense, no restrictions, no relying on complicated hardware to access the content.

I am guessing that the real niche for this will be the scientific market.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 06:26 PM

i just want it to be international.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 06:38 PM

Peter, according to Engadget it shows up as an external drive when plugged into their Mac. They copied an Amazon eBook file off, deleted it off the drive, and then copied it back and it showed up.

Maybe Amazon will let people download the files to their computer from amazon.com for manual syncing.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2007, 09:57 PM

Um, it's exactly like we went from LPs to MP3s here... That single device that is the same size as a single book (and I wouldn't want it any smaller, I've tried reading eBook on my iPhone and it sucked) holds a whole library of books. I have a whole wall of my office taken up by bookshelves, as well as a few smaller ones in convenient places and I still don't have enough shelf space for all my books.

With eBooks I could have every single one of my books take up less space than my laptop.
Ok, I suppose you completely ignored what I wrote above.

And explain how going from LP->MP3 (physical to digital) is the same as this when you don't save space and you are now dependent on external power to READ.

Forum Links
Forum Rules