Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Rock Band

Rock Band
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 09:38 AM

Did anyone buy Rock Band from any midnight releases?
I went to Best Buy after work yesterday and they had it setup with the mic, two guitars, and the drums. Four of us played and it was really fun. The guy who sang could actually sing really well.
I was hesitant on the game buy after that short session I was sold.
I planned to go back at midnight buy I got held up at home and ended up going to bed.

I looked on Bestbuy.com and they say they're sold out. Circuit City said in-store pickup is available but it wouldn't work for me this morning. I just tried again and was able to place an in-store picket for them though.

I'll go fetch it during lunch today.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 10:21 AM

I preordered mine from Gamestop. I'll be picking it up after work.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 10:22 AM

My buddy has it pre-ordered. We played the demo at Wal•Mart for like 30 min Sunday.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 02:06 PM

I just fetched it from Circuit City (80th & Broadway, NYC) and they said they had some in stock.
The box is huge and carrying it on the subway sucks.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 04:56 PM

Got it at lunch today (thank you preorder - everyone around here is sold out). Just waiting out the rest of the work day...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2007, 06:46 PM

this game and guitar hero are two of the dumbest games ever created

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 08:36 PM

My wife have been playing it for about two hours now. It's a lot of fun. I really enjoy the drums, but I'm *awful* at singing.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 07:51 AM

I'm not buying this just yet, I just got GH and don't really have room in my dorm room for the drum set and stuff. But I'm thinking of making a special trip to best buy to check out the drum part, I actually play drums and I'm really excited to see how the gameplay is.

Anyone who's played, I'd love to hear your thoughts/experiences.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 10:45 AM

It's a lot of fun. I had an odd occurrence, though. I played "The Hand That Feeds" in solo guitar mode and when I went back to try it again with the drums, it wasn't available. Strange.

Drums are hard. Very hard.

Love the game, though.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2007, 10:49 AM

Good game, but the multi could use some work. So far we can't find any easy way for a person to switch instruments for a new song without playing under another person's tag/character.

And in the WTF department, I'm actually a decent singer. Copped a 100% on Creep on my first try. (Easy, of course)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2007, 01:57 PM

100% on easy vocals is a cakewalk. Move up to Hard - that's when the challenge starts.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2007, 04:03 PM

Hater.

No one else in the room was coming close.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2007, 07:46 PM

It seems that a character you create is locked to the instrument you created them with.
I started a solo world tour as a drummer and then wanted to play some more with the guitar and had to create a new character, but "Mike" was already taken by my drummer, so now I have Max and Mike.
I hope I'm an idiot and am missing the easy way to switch instruments on your character.

Other than that, it's a great game. In my opinion the drums are worth the price. They're not easy to play but once you get used to them they're great. I think the drum solos and my enthusiasm are going to get me evicted by my neighbors

We have some friends coming over tonight and am going to try some four player.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2007, 02:59 PM

Played the drum part in Best buy. I played 2 songs, I started on hard then played expert, and did pretty good on both. I know that was without the bass pedal which would make it a lot harder, but have any other drummers played the drum part of the game? I'm seriously considering getting it almost solely for the drum parts, but from the demo (although it was soooo much fun) it seems that expert wasn't even too hard.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Played the drum part in Best buy. I played 2 songs, I started on hard then played expert, and did pretty good on both. I know that was without the bass pedal which would make it a lot harder, but have any other drummers played the drum part of the game? I'm seriously considering getting it almost solely for the drum parts, but from the demo (although it was soooo much fun) it seems that expert wasn't even too hard.
The kick pedal completely changes the drumming. I was able to nail the drums on Hard in Best Buy, but now there are songs on Medium that are challenging once the kick pedal was thrown in the mix...

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2007, 09:53 PM

Yeah, I figured it would add a whole new level of difficulty (just as it does on a real drumset). Do you play drums in real life? Just want to get another drummer's perspective before I make the plunge...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2007, 09:59 PM

Nope, not a drummer here.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 10:46 AM

Everybody's Guitars holding up? My finds died on day 2. He called EA Monday to see the status of the replacement they were sending him and he was told they were backed up to hell because virtually everyone else's had failed.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Everybody's Guitars holding up? My finds died on day 2. He called EA Monday to see the status of the replacement they were sending him and he was told they were backed up to hell because virtually everyone else's had failed.
I think I'm one of the lucky ones - haven't had an issue with mine yet.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 11:09 AM

Wow, I typed 'finds' instead of 'friends'. Skilled.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2007, 03:06 PM

Of friends with the game, 2/2 have had something break on their guitars. One also is having trouble with his USB hub, it's apparently pretty cheap too. This is all turning out to be quite a turn off. I think I'll just wait until January and buy the game, drums and 2 GH3 guitars.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 03:09 PM

From what I've heard GH guitars do not work with the game contrary to earlier predictions.

(I like the bigger sized guitars anyway)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
From what I've heard GH guitars do not work with the game contrary to earlier predictions.

(I like the bigger sized guitars anyway)
Yes they do. Except on the PS3.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 03:15 PM

Ah, that explains it. Sucks to be on PS3.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 03:51 PM

Rumor was an update could fix it, but so far it's been non-existent.

Luckily I don't own a PS3.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 04:13 PM

Just got it for the XBOX 360 and boy its harder then I thought. I'll be doing the tutorial sessions on the drums and guitar tonight before playing anymore songs.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 11:39 AM

Quick question, 360 players, if you beat say the Guitar Solo Tour on medium, but you didn't bother with easy, does it automatically unlock the easy achievement for you in addition to the medium difficulty achievement?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2008, 12:03 PM

Yes. The achievements are stacked in Rock Band.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 12:05 PM

Sweet. Thanks.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2008, 09:40 PM

Free download this week (already released):
"Still Alive" - GLaDOS feat. Jonathan Coulton

I'm making a note here, huge success!

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 10:23 AM

IGN: Rock Band 2 this September

Man, not even a full year.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
IGN: Rock Band 2 this September

Man, not even a full year.
Not a problem for me. GH:WT is coming out less than a year after GH3. And hell, less than 6 months after the latest GH.

And since you can use the DLC from RB1 in RB2 it makes the upgrade even less painful - you don't lose out on all the cash you spent on downloads. I just want to know what the instrument upgrades will be. And if the Mad Catz drums are 100% compatible with the new system I'll be one of the first people to try them.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Not a problem for me. GH:WT is coming out less than a year after GH3. And hell, less than 6 months after the latest GH.
Yeah, but I consider the GH franchise pretty shameless since they dumped Harmonix.

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
And since you can use the DLC from RB1 in RB2 it makes the upgrade even less painful - you don't lose out on all the cash you spent on downloads. I just want to know what the instrument upgrades will be. And if the Mad Catz drums are 100% compatible with the new system I'll be one of the first people to try them.
Just quieter and more realistic is what I read.

I just figured DLC would help extend the life of the game. Not so. SO I guess RB I users are SOL for DLC after September?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 11:52 AM

I've read that there will be some new additions to the instruments (which, since we've seen the guitar already leads me to believe it's a drums addition), but that the old setups will still be compatible. Which means they could change the layout, by adding cymbals and what not, but still keep the drum triggers the same. Which is what the Mad Catz set looks like it did.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 12:04 PM

The way my friend worded things last night led me to believe maybe a new instrument or two, but I have nothing to back that up.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2008, 02:01 AM

I read that 2 is mostly about refinement and 'new ways of playing online'. I don't remember mention of new instrument(s). But new versions of current ones will be welcome. My guitar seems to miss a lot of notes when I'm double strumming.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2008, 07:13 AM

Just read this from an IGN interview:

Once RB2 is out, can you still download and play new tracks on RB1?

Teasdale: Absolutely! ... As far as Harmonix is concerned, there's no difference between "Rock Band 1 DLC" and "Rock Band 2 DLC" – we're just releasing awesome songs every week onto the Rock Band platform, all of which are playable by the Rock Band titles that support DLC.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Just read this from an IGN interview:
Nice. I was thinking to myself on the way home yesterday that backwards compatible DLC would make sense, be good for profit, and seemed plausible.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2008, 08:30 AM

So, looks like the Beatles are coming to Rock Band.
*cue all the people who don't like the beatles to chip in*

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
So, looks like the Beatles are coming to Rock Band.
*cue all the people who don't like the beatles to chip in*
I'll be buying a TON of tracks.

In other news, just played GH:WT for the first time last night. Probably should have rented it instead of buying it - I can't imagine playing it over Rock Band after I go through the career (since I'm an achievement whore).

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2008, 10:49 AM

I did play WT this weekend. Impressed isn't what I'd say, but I was surprised I wasn't unimpressed with it. The touch guitar is an interesting addition, the vocal meter seems more touchy/accurate, and the drums are cooler, but I didn't feel like learning them, only to throw of my RB playing.

That said, I'd still take the original RB over it.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2008, 11:00 AM

Oh, hello:
7:13 -- Van Toffler, president of MTV Music and Logo group, takes the mic. "Today, we're announcing an exclusive partnership with Apple Corps, MTV Games, and Harmonix to create a brand new video game featuring the music of the Beatles." Emphasis mine: So, this is a brand new game, eh?
7:14 -- Talking about how fans will be able to experience Beatles music in an "interactive, new way." Giles Martin, son of George Martin, to serve as music producer on the project.
7:15 -- Toffler about to pass it off to Rigopulos, but first: "We're not necessarily in the business of producing standalone music games for every band out there," he says, but this was a "perfect confluence."
7:16 -- Actually, it's Jeff Jones, CEO of Apple Corps, talking next. "In MTV and Harmonix, we see partners who admire the Beatles and Apple's original spirit and vision." Talking about introducing Beatles to new generation of fans and giving existing Beatles fans a new interactive way to experience the music. Giles Martin, he says, will "bring the same passion" to the development of the videogame as he did the Beatles Love soundtrack and show. And he's on the call today.
7:17 -- Alex picks up. "This is not just a Rock Band expansion pack, it is much much more than that." A "ground-up" project, a journey through the band's imagery and how the band evolved through their time together. This is a tall order.
7:18 -- Q&A starts. First question -- it's not a "Rock Band" branded title, says Rigopulos. Will be released holiday of next year.
7:22 -- Game will take us all the way through the Beatles' first album "Please Please Me" all the way to "Abbey Road."
7:23 -- The music will be based on the UK releases. Martin says: "We are trying to keep to, as much as possible, is for people to play the songs as though they're playing the originals... More of a way for them to interact with what they know very well as opposed to us remixing as we did in Love."
7:24 --Rigopulos: "A visual exploration of the Beatles' history is a big part of this project."
7:26 -- Does this mean Rock Band won't get Beatles music at all? They aren't saying.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2008, 11:01 AM

Drums are much easier in GH:WT if you're playing on a RB or ION kit, so it takes much of the challenge away.

Also, turns out that Beatles news is a new standalone game coming out next year:
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/30/ro...-now-official/

Rumor
Aug 25, 2009, 03:26 AM

Finally got around to playing Rock Band and Rock Band 2. There are songs that I can hit dead on (was vocal in a cover band before) and fail. Seems odd. The rest is alright though.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules