Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Stan Lee's First Gay Superhero

Stan Lee's First Gay Superhero (Page 2)
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Ok, here's another example:

BSG spoiler:

So again, here's a character made to be gay for what? Just so the producers can give themselves an "attaboy"?

B5 had a character that was gay and it worked because it didn't feel forced...like "HERE'S OUR GAY CHARACTER".

I don't care if people are gay or not, it's just not my thing. I also don't pick my nose, but some do, but that doesn't mean we need producers showing nose-picking people on TV just 'cuz. That's what bothers me about this "first gay superhero" thing. It doesn't seem to exist except to service Marvel and make themselves feel better about themselves.
It's politically incorrect to not go around saying you love gay people. They only market this like this to make gay people feel like they are included or something.

I don't hate gay people, I agree I get sick of being forced to acknowledge the fact, like I am supposed to give a **** or something. How many people come out of the closet and go on national television to proclaim their heterosexuality? None. So why should we give stage and a podium for gays to do it? Fact is, I don't think anyone gives a ****, they just say they do so as not to be labeled as homophobic or to be called politically incorrect.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 04:44 PM

I don't care if people are gay or not, it's just not my thing. I also don't pick my nose, but some do, but that doesn't mean we need producers showing nose-picking people on TV just 'cuz. That's what bothers me about this "first gay superhero" thing. It doesn't seem to exist except to service Marvel and make themselves feel better about themselves.
There's the annoying part. It's a cheap way to get an "attaboy" from their friends and colleagues.

Pointless.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Batman did. And he enjoyed it, by the look on his face.
Picked his nose?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 04:49 PM

I read a forum today where someone said "look at all the abused and neglected children in the world. What does that tell you about hetero couples?".

I almost went ballistic on the guy.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2009, 04:54 PM

I read a forum today where someone said "look at all the abused and neglected children in the world. What does that tell you about hetero couples?".
Twisted logic 1 — Common sense 0.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 04:57 PM

You should have asked him if gay people can procreate. Since that is how the human species carries on. Not by adoption.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 04:58 PM

You should have asked him if gay people can procreate. Since that is how the human species carries on. Not by adoption.
I tried that route. They always claim adoption or fertilizing a woman. Sorry, women aren't baby machines. I find that distasteful.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 05:04 PM

You could ask him why everyone is not born gay, since gay people think it's natural. If it was natural, then everyone would be born gay, and there would be no sexual reproduction. Babies would be born like Aliens or something. There would be asexual reproduction. Sorry, but being gay is a choice. Just like not eating meat.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2009, 05:09 PM

You could ask him why everyone is not born gay, since gay people think it's natural. If it was natural, then everyone would be born gay, and there would be no sexual reproduction. Babies would be born like Aliens or something. There would be asexual reproduction. Sorry, but being gay is a choice. Just like not eating meat.
PWL 1 — Cartoons and superheros 0.

Hello, PWL.

(Also: Erm, no.)

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 05:12 PM

Pwl?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
But what's his Superpower?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 05:25 PM

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 05:36 PM

I completely forgot about that.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 05:53 PM

Good stuff!

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2009, 05:59 PM

Quite a bit of flawed logic there. To follow your logic, everyone would be identical. Blue eyes are natural just as brown eyes are. However, you don't see everyone being born with brown eyes. You see diversity instead.
Vandelay Industries

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 06:30 PM

That's not flawed logic at all. The reason there are males and females of any species is procreation. The color of the eyes and hairs has nothing to do with procreation, that's why there are different colors.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 06:38 PM

Actually, recent research seems to indicate that having a gay segment of a given population (remember, humans aren't the only species - by a long chalk - that exhibit homosexuality) presents a selective advantage to the entire population.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 14, 2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Actually, recent research seems to indicate that having a gay segment of a given population (remember, humans aren't the only species - by a long chalk - that exhibit homosexuality) presents a selective advantage to the entire population.
Because the population is provided with more interior designers?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Because the population is provided with more interior designers?
More superheroes.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 06:44 PM

I think it's more that the population is provided with groomers to help the heterosexuals procreate.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2009, 06:47 PM

That's not flawed logic at all. The reason there are males and females of any species is procreation. The color of the eyes and hairs has nothing to do with procreation, that's why there are different colors.
That's not what your original argument was. You were saying that if homosexuality is natural, then everyone would be homosexual. That's the logic I was arguing against.
Vandelay Industries

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 06:50 PM

I was trying to say that if the order of nature was for asexual reproduction, then homosexualtiy would be the norm, and heterosexuality was be abby-normal.

Since it is not this way, then I believe that homosexuality is abnormal behaivor.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 07:02 PM

An increase in the percentage of homosexuals is nature's way of saying:

"There are quite enough of you bastards around here."

It may be "abnormal" but it isn't exactly unnatural, either.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 07:08 PM

I was trying to say that if the order of nature was for asexual reproduction, then homosexualtiy would be the norm, and heterosexuality was be abby-normal.
The prefix "a-" denotes ABSENCE.

"Asexual" means NOT sexual. Not homo-, not hetero-, nor any other kind of -sexual.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2009, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The prefix "a-" denotes ABSENCE.

"Asexual" means NOT sexual. Not homo-, not hetero-, nor any other kind of -sexual.
I think he meant procreation without sexual intercourse, i.e., insemination and (to the raising parents, though of course not to the birth parents) adoption.

Since it is not this way, then I believe that homosexuality is abnormal behaivor.
Abnormal, yes, since the norm is whatever is most prevalent. The fact that it’s abnormal doesn’t make it a choice, though. Just ask the superheroes. [/attempt at not derailing thread any further]

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 07:34 PM

So is using a Mac or defusing bombs for a living. Doesn't mean such people don't deserve equal status to everyone else — or that they can't have TV shows about them.

On the topic of this superhero, I'll reserve judgment until I see the show. X-Men (also by Stan Lee, for those who don't follow comics) was blatantly political as well, and it turned out to be pretty good. Obviously the gay angle will get played up because homosexuals are somehow considered much more novel than superheroes, but that doesn't mean it can't have a good story in its own right.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 07:51 PM

I haven't read the thread but can someone tell me if Marvel explained why a comic book hero's sexual orientation is relevant to the story line? Unless there are romantic characters in the comic who are involved with the superhero, and the superhero's accomplishments*, I can see no reason to make a big deal out a superhero's sexual orientation other than for purely commercial gay-is-the-new-in-thing reasons. (Which, if that is the case, is really f***ing stupid.)

*I am thinking of something like the Spider-Man comic strip in the newspaper where Peter Parker's gal Mary Jane somehow always gets caught up in the final-confrontation-with-evil and her relationship to Peter Parker could compromise the secrecy of his Spider Man identity. So the fact they are in a romantic relationship with one each other does at times advance the narrative or help in defining why or how Spider Man acts in certain situations.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 07:51 PM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
So is using a Mac or defusing bombs for a living. Doesn't mean such people don't deserve equal status to everyone else — or that they can't have TV shows about them.

On the topic of this superhero, I'll reserve judgment until I see the show. X-Men (also by Stan Lee, for those who don't follow comics) was blatantly political as well, and it turned out to be pretty good. Obviously the gay angle will get played up because homosexuals are somehow considered much more novel than superheroes, but that doesn't mean it can't have a good story in its own right.
Gays already have equal status. Gays can have jobs, houses, cars, run for office, pay taxes, and die. Just like heterosexuals. What gays want is "extra" status and "extra" rights that no other segment in society has. And making tv shows solely for the purpose of touting your pride in having a gay character just defeats the purpose. How many tv shows are created for the same reason about heteros?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 10:37 PM

I wonder if a gay superhero tried to give you mouth to mouth, could you sue him for attempted murder?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 10:39 PM

Gays already have equal status. Gays can have jobs, houses, cars, run for office, pay taxes, and die. Just like heterosexuals. What gays want is "extra" status and "extra" rights that no other segment in society has. And making tv shows solely for the purpose of touting your pride in having a gay character just defeats the purpose. How many tv shows are created for the same reason about heteros?
Except they can't get married.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2009, 10:43 PM

What extra rights are you referring to?
Vandelay Industries

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 10:44 PM

I don't think that marriage is a right. Otherwise, all single people would be suing someone for violating their rights, right?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2009, 10:44 PM

I wonder if a gay superhero tried to give you mouth to mouth, could you sue him for attempted murder?
What do you mean?
Vandelay Industries

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
What extra rights are you referring to?
How about the health care issue? Why should unmarried gay couples get health care by their employers, but not unmarried heterosexual couples?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 10:46 PM

What do you mean?
I remember a news story about someone being convicted of attempted murder for having aids and sleeping with people and disclosing the fact that they had aids/hiv. Since it can be spread through saliva, if you get mouth to mouth by a gay Batman, you could sue him for attempted murder.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2009, 10:46 PM

I don't think that marriage is a right. Otherwise, all single people would be suing someone for violating their rights, right?
I don't follow.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2009, 10:49 PM

How about the health care issue? Why should unmarried gay couples get health care by their employers, but not unmarried heterosexual couples?
Gays can't marry. However, I think it should apply to any domestic partnership. In a few states, it does.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2009, 10:52 PM

I remember a news story about someone being convicted of attempted murder for having aids and sleeping with people and disclosing the fact that they had aids/hiv. Since it can be spread through saliva, if you get mouth to mouth by a gay Batman, you could sue him for attempted murder.
AFAIK, there isn't a single case of HIV being spread via saliva. Further, assuming that because someone is gay that they must be HIV+ is offensive.
Vandelay Industries

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 10:58 PM

I don't follow.
Is marriage a RIGHT? Like the RIGHT to privacy and life,et al? So if someone isn't married, are their rights being violated? And who would they sue because of it? And what would the outcome at court be? I'm sure it'd be a jury trial, what would the jury award the single person who's rights are vioalted due to him/her being single? Marriage is a union, not a right.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 11:01 PM

Gays can't marry. However, I think it should apply to any domestic partnership. In a few states, it does.
Wow. Just wow. So any couple living together should get free medical care provided for by the other's employer? Holy ****, who would pay for that? Remember, domestic partnership can be a man and a woman, too. Plus, you could get away with saying that if a man and a woman shared a house out of necessity, they should get free health care?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2009, 11:01 PM

Is marriage a RIGHT? Like the RIGHT to privacy and life,et al? So if someone isn't married, are their rights being violated? And who would they sue because of it? And what would the outcome at court be? I'm sure it'd be a jury trial, what would the jury award the single person who's rights are vioalted due to him/her being single? Marriage is a union, not a right.
Whether it's a right or not, a single straight person can be married if they choose. Gays can not. Gays are not even given the choice.
Vandelay Industries

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 11:03 PM

Well, then chose to be a hetero. Like I said earlier, being gay is a choice. Being gay goes against the way nature is.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2009, 11:05 PM

Wow. Just wow. So any couple living together should get free medical care provided for by the other's employer? Holy ****, who would pay for that? Remember, domestic partnership can be a man and a woman, too. Plus, you could get away with saying that if a man and a woman shared a house out of necessity, they should get free health care?
Yes, I know a domestic partnership can be a man and a woman. That's why I said what I said. In most cases, you have to sign a legal affidavit declaring a homosexual domestic partnership to obtain benefits. The same can be required for any domestic partnership.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2009, 11:06 PM

Well, then chose to be a hetero. Like I said earlier, being gay is a choice. Being gay goes against the way nature is.
Just because you say it's a choice, doesn't make it a choice. Ask any gay person if they chose to be gay and they'll tell you no.
Vandelay Industries

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 14, 2009, 11:58 PM

You're just chock-full of all kinds of wisdom today, aren't you?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2009, 12:03 AM

Guys, guys, guys...come on. I want to be able to enjoy homo-erotic imagery of Batman and Robin without having to go into the PW Lounge, so maybe just agree to disagree here?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2009, 12:04 AM

Gay kids need a superhero whose situation they can relate to. Someone, Stan Lee or otherwise, should produce a TV series or comic book with such a character that is aimed not so much at critical, mature audiences but at kids.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2009, 01:59 AM

I also don't pick my nose
Yeah right.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2009, 02:06 AM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links