Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > HD Content

HD Content
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2009, 11:26 PM

I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to get HD content onto my Mac, to play out through a DVI > HDMI cable (into my TV). Anything I rent / purchase from iTunes is only going to be a 640x480 resolution (SD). Any DVDs I buy will be the same. Any BluRays I buy won't play in my Mac, and I might as well buy a BluRay player.

So, I ask you, where am I supposed to get HD content? The only real HD I've been able to see is a couple trailers downloaded off the apple website. BAH! I say.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2009, 11:56 PM

Then... don't?

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2009, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Then... don't?
Don't what? Don't expect to be able to play HD content out of my Mac?

hayesk
Mar 7, 2009, 11:05 AM

That's exactly what he's saying.

Blu-ray can't be done through a Mac, digital cable can't be done through a Mac. What's more important to you - HD content or playing content through your Mac?

Why is it so important to you that your TV content come out of your Mac?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2009, 12:39 PM

I find quicktime HD trailers to be about the only decent source of HD. Great for 1.5 to 4 minutes each.

Otherwise, why not find of HD torrents of shows or movies?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2009, 02:38 PM

A few TV network websites stream shows in HD.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Don't what? Don't expect to be able to play HD content out of my Mac?
Why did you set this up in the first place? You've created a solution without a problem.

Otherwise, get an HDTV tuner (EyeTV Hybrid is $150), or an HDTV cable box with firewire output (about $5-15 a month from your provider) or a bit torrent client and cross your fingers.

Oh yeah:

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2009, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
That's exactly what he's saying.

Blu-ray can't be done through a Mac, digital cable can't be done through a Mac. What's more important to you - HD content or playing content through your Mac?

Why is it so important to you that your TV content come out of your Mac?
I have an HDDVR, from the local cable company. I was just hoping to have more HD content available, when there's nothing I want to watch from the cable company. (Like movies from iTunes).

Why did you set this up in the first place? You've created a solution without a problem.

Otherwise, get an HDTV tuner (EyeTV Hybrid is $150), or an HDTV cable box with firewire output (about $5-15 a month from your provider) or a bit torrent client and cross your fingers.

Oh yeah:
Why is it so outlandish to expect to be able to play HD content out of my mac? I use the display for other computing purposes, and a $25 cable isn't a really huge "setup."

As to the suggestion of torrents, I'd like to keep it legal.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2009, 07:40 PM

What's outlandish is buying a tool and then complaining that you don't have anything to use it on. It's like buying a hammer and then casting about for something that needs a nail put in it, then whining about not being able to find any good nails you like. It's backwards and silly.

What's more, obviously you already know about various nails (like QuickTime), you just don't care for them, for reasons unknown. Weird.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2009, 10:23 PM

What's outlandish is buying a tool and then complaining that you don't have anything to use it on. It's like buying a hammer and then casting about for something that needs a nail put in it, then whining about not being able to find any good nails you like. It's backwards and silly.

What's more, obviously you already know about various nails (like QuickTime), you just don't care for them, for reasons unknown. Weird.
I'm not sure why you think I'm complaining, I was simply asking where I could find more stuff to watch. I was disappointed to find iTunes content not available in HD, I guess my disappointment came off as complaining.

The only thing that's backwards and silly is your hammer metaphor.

I don't have my computer hooked up to my TV solely to watch HD content, but since it is hooked up, it would be nice to expand the content available to me. You're set on the idea that I have a Mac connected to my TV and must have HD content for it. That's not at all the case, I simply want to have more options.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2009, 11:42 PM

I can recommend the Hauppauge HD PVR, runs great with MythTV on my Linux media server (and I've heard MythTV is great on Mac as well). It works with any component source and delivers excellent recording quality, considering the resolution limitation (1080i being the limit for component). Why the limit? It allows you to use the HD analog "hole", bypassing DRM and lockouts in certain programming.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2009, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I can recommend the Hauppauge HD PVR, runs great with MythTV on my Linux media server (and I've heard MythTV is great on Mac as well). It works with any component source and delivers excellent recording quality, considering the resolution limitation (1080i being the limit for component). Why the limit? It allows you to use the HD analog "hole", bypassing DRM and lockouts in certain programming.
1080i is the limit for broadcast TV anyway.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2009, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
1080i is the limit for broadcast TV anyway.
Exactly. It's all that most will need for that type of thing.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2009, 01:17 AM

Plex comes with multiple sources of HD content through its "App Store".

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2009, 01:19 AM

Oh no, this thread is giving me flashbacks to the pre-Jobs days when Mac fans would engage in lengthy apologetics trying to explain away lack of features.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2009, 01:52 AM

I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to get HD content onto my Mac, to play out through a DVI > HDMI cable (into my TV). Anything I rent / purchase from iTunes is only going to be a 640x480 resolution (SD). Any DVDs I buy will be the same. Any BluRays I buy won't play in my Mac, and I might as well buy a BluRay player.

So, I ask you, where am I supposed to get HD content? The only real HD I've been able to see is a couple trailers downloaded off the apple website. BAH! I say.
Ummm... What about the HD TV Content on the iTunes store?

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2009, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
Ummm... What about the HD TV Content on the iTunes store?
iTunes will not let you download any HD content unless you have an Apple TV, part of my "dilemma."

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2009, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Plex comes with multiple sources of HD content through its "App Store".
This app is hot, thank you.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2009, 12:23 PM

iTunes will not let you download any HD content unless you have an Apple TV, part of my "dilemma."
Not quite true. HD movies are only for the Apple TV. HD TV shows can be played on anything.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules