Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac fan noise

iMac fan noise
sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2012, 02:21 PM

I've had my current iMac (2007 C2D model) for several years now and she always runs whisper quiet. Just this morning I noticed it's making noise now, a low level buzz, even though the fans are spinning at minimum.

I have an app called SMC Fan Control, which allows me to ramp them up usually when I'm gaming for a while, since the iMac gets quite hot. Not sure if the use of this utility has worn on my fan, or if it is just about that time for a fan to start wearing out.

Of course if this were a real desktop, like my loud-ass G4, I could just crack it open and blow out the dust and re-lubricate the fans but it's a sealed crypt.

Guess I'm just seeing if the growing noise is anything to worry about and if it would be worth it to take it apart carefully and get the dust out.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2012, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Guess I'm just seeing if the growing noise is anything to worry about and if it would be worth it to take it apart carefully and get the dust out.
IMO growing noises are to worry about. First is to be sure it is a fan and not a HDD. Run Disk Utility and trial a demo of Disk Warrior. Whether disassembly is a good idea or not depends on your skills...

In any event make sure backup is maintained current, because growing noises in 5-year-old computers often end in catastrophic failure of something.

Good luck!

-Allen

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2012, 02:37 PM

I'm fairly sure it's the fan, because using that fan utility I am able to ramp the fans up and the noise changes.

I did install RAM on the original gumdrop iMac, and that was no easy task, I think with the right tools I could easily get the screen off, but I dunno how easy the fans are to get to.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2012, 02:55 PM

Fans are right behind the LCD panel which comes off after the Alu casing and the glass panel. Lube probably won't do it, I suspect a new fan will be needed. I never had much luck fixing those fans. Be careful if you try though, the plastic gets brittle and the clips snap if you try to disassemble them.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2012, 03:09 PM

I've isolated the noise coming from the HDD fan, using the fan utility.

As far as I can tell the fan appears to be in the lower left corner of the iMac, looking at disassembly sites it seems like that fan i accesible by just removing the glass and aluminum casing, but the LCD can stay in place.

At any rate If I attempt this it will most likely be a dust blowing expedition, I don't want to mess with spraying lubricants inside the bowels of my machine.

This noise is very annoying though, not extremely loud, but something I can't ignore.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2012, 04:20 PM

If we are talking about the mid 2007 20" or 24" models, the fan to the lower left is the CPU fan and it is half covered by the LCD. I don't think they'll come out without the LCD but you can probably spray compressed air or vacuum it. Neither of those is really ESD safe though.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules