Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Nikon Coolpix 885 vs Sony P9

Nikon Coolpix 885 vs Sony P9
mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2002, 09:56 AM

I have a Sony DSC-P9(4MP), and the images (at the highest setting) I shoot come out grainy on screen and print. Overall I have been very disappointed with the camera. Before the P9 I had the DSC-P1, and the images were great at 1600X1200. I cannot understand what is going on. What upsets me the most is that I took some really great photos of our baby that are once in a liftime shots, and they are grainy.

Well I was thiking of going with the Nikon Coolpix 885 or the 4300 when it comes out. For those who have the 885 are you pleased with the camera? I am by no means a professional photographer, and the sceen settings on the Nikon are appealing to me to cature the best photo without having to adjust the camera.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2002, 11:35 AM

I have a CoolPix 885. The camera workes great when it is working. It's been broken 3 times in 6 months. The first problem was with 'stuck pixels' on the LCD screen and on the pictures it took. The problem was the lens refused to retract and gave a 'system error' message. Now, it's got about 3 stuck pixels on all pictures it takes. Very unimpressed. But when it works, takes nice pictures and I liked the manual control of the camera. Would be nice to have a top mounted LCD screen for basic settings. Oh, the batteries change in a little less than an hour with the 52 model charger. Other models of chargers don't seem to charge the batteries as fast, but the 52 is very quick.

Brad

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2002, 12:21 PM

I have owned a Coolpix 885 since early this year, and I am very pleased with the photo output. I carry it wherever I go, and use it primarily for quick family snaps, and I've not had any problems with picture "noise", even at lower resolutions.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Forum Links
Forum Rules