Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New tip, and actual use for Ram Cache

New tip, and actual use for Ram Cache
Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2006, 01:45 AM

Hey everyone,
A few of my buddies and I were talking about using RAM as a hard-drive, and how wouldn't it be great if OS X could just run off your RAM, and it wasn't erased at shut-down, and blah blah blah. So we got to talking about RAM Cache applications, and what (if any) practical application they had to anything... and I came up with something novel. Don't blame me if anyone else has come up with this, I did, independantly, make the same discovery.

If you have any mac with os x and a decent amount of ram you can do this...

What I did was use "Esperance DV 2.3" (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16518)
to create a 500 MB ram disk (I have 2.5 GBS of ram so no problem)

Next, under system prefs / esperance, I set it to auto-backup the ram disk, and auto load the old backup upon log-in.

Next, I went under all my filesharing / downloading applications, and selected the ramdisk as the download source, and other applications,the ram disk as the scratch disk.

Next, under my downloading apps (I use mostly xfactor) I selected the "delete file after download, import to itunes, blah blah" option.

The result? Hundreds (sometimes more) of downloads, from wherever, are downloaded, in their little pieces, at remarkable speed to my ram. Once they are complete, the full file is added to my actual hard-drive, and the ram is cleared of the old file. This causes a VERY significant decrease in lag when downloading files, and also saves my harddrives a LOT of wear and tear.

Give this set-up a shot, let me know what you think, has anyone else used ram-disks to much success?
yep.

alphamatrix
Senior User
Mar 3, 2006, 02:13 AM

Back in the day I ran Seti@Home on a RAM disk in OS 9 (iMac).

But all that stuff you said, very cool.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2006, 03:15 AM

I have a very hard time believing your internet connection is so fast that your hard drive couldn't easily keep up with it.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 08:44 PM

Dude, when you download that much stuff that fast, you should consider a fast RAID solution… And a good lawyer

Forum Links
Forum Rules