Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Good X11 Apps?

Good X11 Apps?
bluesloth
Oct 21, 2003, 02:53 PM

I was just wondering if when I install Panther if it will be worth it to install the X11 stuff.

It seems all the X11 programs I have heard of are programing apps, network administration, or scientific computing apps. I really don't have any use for those kind of apps. Are there any apps for the rest of us? Are there any graphics programs? Games? Office productivity?

I don't have any experience with UNIX (besides our beloved Mac OS X), but for those who do, the X11 thing should be a great addition.

zewm
Oct 21, 2003, 03:21 PM

I think there are a lot of apps that are pretty good. You can try xchat for chatting on irc, as an example. You should goto www.freshmeat.net for an archive of X11 apps. You may find stuff that suits your needs.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 04:27 PM

The GIMP is a stellar graphics app. OpenOffice is a MS Office alternative, Abiword is a great word processor. Try FreeCiv, the free Civillization style game for X11.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

bluesloth  (op)
Oct 21, 2003, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Freshmeat.net had some interesting titles. I guess I might as well install X11 because it's not like hard drive space is scarce these. If I don't install it when upgrading to Panther, is it possible to install later?

I forgot about OpenOffice. I think I'll give that a try when I get Panther. Any experience with it? Is it stable? How is file compatibility with MS Office?

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by bluesloth:
Thanks for the replies.

Freshmeat.net had some interesting titles. I guess I might as well install X11 because it's not like hard drive space is scarce these. If I don't install it when upgrading to Panther, is it possible to install later?

I forgot about OpenOffice. I think I'll give that a try when I get Panther. Any experience with it? Is it stable? How is file compatibility with MS Office?
OpenOffice is dog-slow on Mac OS X, which is a crying shame, because it's a good tool, and quite fast on Windows and other Unixen.

The GIMP is not bad for graphics manipulation. Not up to photoshop, but then it's free!

You can easily intall X11 later by inserting the Panther disc 3 and double clicking the X11.pkg

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by bluesloth:
I was just wondering if when I install Panther if it will be worth it to install the X11 stuff.

It seems all the X11 programs I have heard of are programing apps, network administration, or scientific computing apps. I really don't have any use for those kind of apps. Are there any apps for the rest of us? Are there any graphics programs? Games? Office productivity?

I don't have any experience with UNIX (besides our beloved Mac OS X), but for those who do, the X11 thing should be a great addition.
One word GQView. It's a X11 graphics program for viewing pics on the disk. It's fast and easy to view all your pics if they're organized into a directory. Tons faster then iPhoto.
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

dialo
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 07:21 PM

the best way to go about this is through fink

http://fink.sourceforge.net/

Forum Links
Forum Rules