Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Intel iMac Not So Pretty

Intel iMac Not So Pretty
Scooterboy
Senior User
Jan 15, 2006, 03:33 AM

Got this link from Digg.com where there's a discussion comparing the insides of the iMac G5 vs. the iMac Core Duo. Seems some guy in Japan has already dissasembled a new Intel iMac but if it's not a fake, damn does this thing look like it was sourced out of some PC parts bin.

http://mactree.sannet.ne.jp/%7ekodaw...c_intel01.html
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

HattoriHanzo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2006, 03:36 AM

You might want to check out the imac g5 iSight internals - it was exactly the same.

This has nothing to do with it being Intel - The iSight revision made it like this. The revision to the iMac G5 w/iSight apparently brought significantly improved cooling at the expense of easy replacement.

Scooterboy  (op)
Senior User
Jan 15, 2006, 03:44 AM

Here's the G5 which seems a little tidier but...

I see what you mean.

volcano
Senior User
Jan 15, 2006, 03:47 AM

Wait. Aren't those pictures showing the machine internals when you remove the front panel (including the LCD)? It's not a fair comparison then. I'm sure even my iMac G5 (Rev. B, pre-iSight) would look similiar to those above if I removed the front panel (minus the iSight integration) - but I'm able to remove the back panel, so it's easier [and more aesthetically pleasing] in my case.

HungrySeacow
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2006, 04:04 AM

I am so tired of hearing people complain about what the insides of the iMac G5 iSight and the iMac Core Duo look like. It was not meant to be seen by the eyes of the consumer... It was never meant to be opened by the consumer, therefore was designed FUNCTION over FORM. I have listened to REV A and B iMacs and they are quite a bit noisy. However, my iMac G5 iSight was whisper quiet. It made just as much noise as my Mac Mini, just at a lower frequency. Even playing Doom 3 for an hour, the fans never became apparent, even with the sound muted. What should that tell people? It means that Apple put a whole lot of work into the design of the new iMacs. These things were not "thrown together", as some would like you to believe, but were intentionally designed to be quitter then a whisper.
YummySoup! - Recipe management and sharing at its best!

HattoriHanzo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2006, 04:30 AM

Great post seacrow - Spot on

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 08:40 AM

Where is the RAM slot?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 09:00 AM

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 09:10 AM

Hang on a minute Scooterboy, if thats the internal pic of the G5, then where is the G5?! Im sorry but I will not believe that the iMac looks like that when not so long ago it looked like this:

Do you not know anything about Apple?! They pride themselves in all aspects of design, and the pictures posted in this thread do not show that! I cannot believe for one second that they are real.

If you notice, on the first picture posted, it makes no sense: If that picture was taken from the FRONT of the iMac, then where is the screen, and why are the ports shown facing outwards? If the picture was taken from the BACK of the iMac, then the ports and the optical drive are on the wrong side of the iMac. That is evidence right there that the picture is 100% FAKE!

As for the second picture, if thats a G5 iMac, then where the hell is the HUGE G5 heatsink for the processor?!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 09:13 AM

That was the rev A iMac G5. It was user-serviceable and had heat problems.

Apple redesigned it to cope with the heat. The result was:

That's already quite similar to the Intel model. It's not user-serviceable, has the RAM slots at the bottom of the case and there's a built-in iSight.

dazzla
Senior User
Jan 15, 2006, 09:14 AM

That was before you weren't allowed to open it up. Just check out any recent iMac insides and they'll look like the one scooterboy posted.

http://www.kodawarisan.com/imacg5_isight/imacg501i.html

Edit, beaten.

havocidal
Jan 15, 2006, 09:45 AM

come on... whats up with all u people... its the INSIDES of a computer... its nt as if you're ever gonna look at it now that the imac RAM slots are tucked nicely at e bottom... and harrisjamieh... true they do pride themselves in design... but it wouldn't be practical if they bothered doing a beautiful design on the inside... itz a waste of time and money for the industrial designers... its really silly to be complaining about something that does NOT matter... Does having an ugly inside affect the performance and aesthetics of a computer? No it does not. So why bother?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by dazzla
That was before you weren't allowed to open it up. Just check out any recent iMac insides and they'll look like the one scooterboy posted.

http://www.kodawarisan.com/imacg5_isight/imacg501i.html

Edit, beaten.
No, the one scooterboy posted is hideous, the one you linked to is MUCH more asthetically pleasing. Did you not read my point about the first posted picture being a fake because of the way the internal parts are orientated. They cannot physically be positioned in that way because of the way the optical drive is accessed from the outside of the imac, from the right side, and with that picture, if you work it out, it is showing it to the left of the imac. IMO, the only picture that is ACTUALLY a correct pitcure of what the iMac looks like is this one:

And for those saying it does not matter what it looks like on the inside - no, it doesnt, but im am trying to make a point that the iMac does not look as bad as people are suggesting
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 11:07 AM

You've got a point man, the Kodawarisan pics look a bit tidier...but you've got to admit, the innards of these latest iMacs are a big step backward from the RevA, which looks as good opened up as the G5 towers.

And I hear where the "what does it matter" people are coming from, but I also lean a bit toward the camp that extols Mac design--inside and out. It's mainly aesthetics that cause me to question the Intel switch, because at the processor level the Intel chips, while faster, lack the elegance of the RISC chips.

However, the insides of the iMac don't show a lack of commitment by Apple to their design guidelines. The new version wasn't meant to be opened up that way. If it was, Apple would have made it pretty. It's the difference between popping the hood on a Lexus and ripping off a body panel.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Did you not read my point about the first posted picture being a fake because of the way the internal parts are orientated. They cannot physically be positioned in that way because of the way the optical drive is accessed from the outside of the imac, from the right side, and with that picture, if you work it out, it is showing it to the left of the imac.
One picture shows the iMac from the front and the other form the back. You can remove the front and back bezel. In one case the optical drive is on the right, in the other it's on the left side. There's nothing fishy about that.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 03:16 PM

NO but there is, because one can see the fronts of the ports on the picture im talking about, which shoudlnt be the case, you should see the back of the port panel

Scooterboy  (op)
Senior User
Jan 15, 2006, 03:20 PM

Well, I suppose the iMac is something I've never really been interested in anyhow, as one all-in-one form factor (my PowerBook) is enough for me. Still, looking at the Intel iMac innards, if they are that, makes me think that it should be easy enough to build my own "gaming" Mac. I mean, if the insides of the Mac Pro (obviously that's what will replace the PowerMac) will look anything like developer Intel macs, then I'd rather build my own, because, silly or not, Apple has got me hooked on clean, tidy internal design. Any chance of a "supply" of TPM modules showing up anywhere, you think? Or maybe Intel Mac motherboards? Not that OS X iterations won't continue to be cracked. I think it's only a matter of time.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 03:20 PM

Hmm, you're looking from the front according to the way the base looks. The optical and the ports are on the right, where they belong. The motherboard has been removed, that's why you see the port holes. Nothing fishy there.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 06:22 PM

I think the difference in later revision iMac G5 pictures depends on which size you're looking at, 17" or 20". Having a "beautiful" interior (that few will ever see) is detrimental when it comes at the price of more noise and poorer cooling performance.

danamania
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2006, 04:17 AM

harrisjamieh: the reason you can see the ports in the top picture is because almost all the internals are removed (including the entire motherboard), and you're looking right through the iMac from the front towards the back, seeing nothing but the holes where the ports are. The disassembled iMac looks just like that in Apple's own manuals.

If anyone's interested in another pic comparing different macs, I've compiled this one comparing 20" and 17" versions of the original G5 iMacs, G5 iSights and Intel iSights here:

http://www.danamania.com/temp/g5vsintel.jpg

dana

volcano
Senior User
Jan 16, 2006, 04:34 AM

So this begs the question: what does the iSight and Intel iMacs look like from the back view? All the pictures posted above show the view from the front, as if you removed the LCD. I realize that it may not be possible - but I still wonder.

danamania
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2006, 04:40 AM

The back view doesn't seem to be possible, since everything is attached to the back panel now. http://www.danamania.com/temp/imaccover.jpg is a picture of how the iSight model front covers come off - the whole front and 4 sides are attached as one piece (the front) that comes off in one unit, and everything else is attached to the back cover itself. If you were to make a mock up of the back view with one of these iMacs, it would probably be a bunch of components laying haphazardly on top of the LCD .

dana

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 08:18 AM

All this back-view and front-view discussion is wonderful except we are forgetting that Apple probably RUSHED this new iMac to production considering they are about 6 months ahead of schedule.

If somebody says "I'm not buying an Intel iMac because its ugly inside" I'm gonna barf. It's almost as stupid as that guy in another thread who said he cancelled his Intel iMac order because it wouldn't run windows!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
All this back-view and front-view discussion is wonderful except we are forgetting that Apple probably RUSHED this new iMac to production considering they are about 6 months ahead of schedule.

If somebody says "I'm not buying an Intel iMac because its ugly inside" I'm gonna barf. It's almost as stupid as that guy in another thread who said he cancelled his Intel iMac order because it wouldn't run windows!
I was just going to point that out. You guys are comparing the wrong sides of the computer.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Scooterboy  (op)
Senior User
Jan 16, 2006, 11:04 PM

Well, if Apple "RUSHED this new iMac to production" then it might be wise to avoid, and get a revision b. Rushed design and production could very well lead to quality issues.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Well, if Apple "RUSHED this new iMac to production" then it might be wise to avoid, and get a revision b. Rushed design and production could very well lead to quality issues.
You might think that, but if you look at the pics of the iMac G5 iSight design pics compared to the Intel iMac design, they are almost identical in layout and form.

All the old rules still apply: Avoid Rev A. designs, wait if you can to purchase, wnd never belive anything Jobs says at a keynote about speed.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules