Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 5400rpm louder than 4200rpm?

5400rpm louder than 4200rpm?
jasonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2004, 03:24 PM

Hello all,
I recentally bought a new 15 powerbook with an 80gig 5400prm HD. The HD makes a low humming sound the entire time the powerbook is on. This noise isn't loud, though it is audible while I'm typing. I was just wondering if the 80 gig 4200rpm HDs do the same thing, because my friends 12 inch powerbook with a 40gig 4200rpm HD runs basically silently.

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2004, 03:36 PM

To be honest, I don't know.

But, I did swap my 7,200 and put back in the stock Hitachi 4,200 80Gig that came with my Al 15". The 7,200 was the "Enhanced" drive that whined too loud and vibrated (also made a sizzle sound sometimes), the 4,200 is much quieter. I like it much better, silence is worth more than millisecond speed increase.
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

dagmar
Forum Regular
May 18, 2004, 04:07 PM

Not that it's very helpful to you, I have the same 15" powerbook; I've had it for a week, and the hard drive is dead silent. Mine is a TOSHIBA MK8026GAX. I can only hear it quietly "chuckling" when I search the drive, or do something really intensive, and even then I have to be listening carefully.

Do you live near an Apple store where someone could listen to it

jasonk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2004, 05:14 PM

I do will be living near an apple soon (going home for the summer). Dagmar, I have the exact same HD, just checked my system profiler. So you can't hear yours humming away? I can hear mine even while the system is idle. I wonder if apple will even care or if they will think that this is not an issue.

Bonne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2004, 02:13 AM

Just to chime in....I have the same computer with the 5400rpm drive and mine is also dead silent. However, when I run any demanding programs like games I do hear the fan come on. Other than that I can only hear my drive if I put my ear right down to the keyboard. :::shrug:::

Kerf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2004, 02:59 AM

I also have a new 15" powerbook with the TOSHIBA MK8026GAX, and I hear a very soft whirring noise too. I wonder if part of the noise isn't a fan that runs constantly at a low speed. When I go into Energy Saver and change the processor performance from highest to reduced I can also hear a very slight reduction in the whirring noise.

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2004, 10:40 AM

off topic and maybe posted elsewhere, how can you confirm that apple gave you the 5400 rpm drive?
is the model everyone is posting the 5400?

my drive in my 15" is dead silent.

tia.

Forum Links
Forum Rules