Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 7.0 major bug

iTunes 7.0 major bug
Alixandre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2006, 09:18 PM

Yeah.. as weird as that sounds... iTunes? a bug?

If you have a song in your library that has no sound at all in the last few seconds, while playing those last seconds iTunes will freeze, and the next song in your playlist will sound like a scratched vinyl until you pause the song.
Now, I know it's not an issue with gapless albums, because I turned them off and turned crossfade playback on. I don't like seeing iTunes buggy, at all.
I have already reported this to iTunes Feedback. Does anyone have the same problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Edit: For the record, I'm running XP (*sigh*... I really need to buy that new iMac)
( Last edited by Alixandre; Sep 12, 2006 at 09:57 PM. )

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2006, 12:05 AM

I am having the same problem as you.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 12:43 AM

My iTunes crashes every time I open it and try to play a song. I can't listen to anything. Also, it checks all 2600 songs for gapless playback every time I open it. This REALLY sucks and I hope they get it fixed soon. I've never had any problems like this before.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Alixandre  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 08:32 AM

Guys, are you having this problem while running Windows XP?
I'd like to know if this issue is XP-exclusive (wouldn't be surprised if it was).

I've read people have similar problems at the apple support forum, but no real solutions have been posted so far. I've only come across this solution:

iTunes and QuickTime for Windows: Songs and other audio don't play correctly

... but it doesn't work for me, as enabling Safe Mode in Quicktime preferences doesn't fix the problem, I have the latest DirectX and I had never had ANY kind of audio problems (or any problems at all) with iTunes 4.7, 5.x or 6.x.

Alixandre  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 10:02 AM

Well.. I had to uninstall iTunes 7.0 and the bundled QuickTime, and install the old iTunes 6 again. I just don't want to listen to my music skipping anymore. Good thing I had a backup of my iTunes 6 library file (.itl) before iTunes 7 scanned my files for "gapless playback support" .

Everything is normal now, and iTunes is playing music perfectly. I hope apple fixes this bug soon, 'cause I really liked some of the innovations in iTunes 7 and I'm looking forward to connect my iPod and experience the difference. As for the people who have the same problem as me, I'd recommend you to do a system restore to a point before you installed the new iTunes, or simply uninstall iTunes 7 and QuickTime, and get the iTunes 6 setup (for Windows) from here:
Download iTunes 6.0.5 - filehippo.com

Any help with this problem in iTunes 7 is gladly appreciated...
( Last edited by Alixandre; Sep 13, 2006 at 10:09 AM. )

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2006, 10:04 AM

My problems areon my Mac. If I'm having issues on the Mac, I'm not even going to touch my XP machine with iTunes!

I can play a song before iTunes crashes. It seems to crash at the transition between the outgoing and incoming song, but I can't figure out get around it.

Uisce

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2006, 10:06 AM

Does anybody have iTunes 6 for Macs?

Uisce

Alixandre  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Uisce
My problems areon my Mac. If I'm having issues on the Mac, I'm not even going to touch my XP machine with iTunes!

I can play a song before iTunes crashes. It seems to crash at the transition between the outgoing and incoming song, but I can't figure out get around it.
Did you try using the solution from the apple.com support article above? You're having the exact same problem that I have, only you're on mac and I'm on a freakin' PC .

cybergamer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 10:23 AM

I've got the same issue... :-/

iTunes crashes at nearly every track change. Come on apple..... I'm without tunes here.

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2006, 10:45 AM

So far I disabled crossfade and i I just let iTunes sit and play (no scrubbing) it will play songs, but if I try to scrub to the end of a song, it crashes.

Uisce

Alixandre  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Uisce
So far I disabled crossfade and i I just let iTunes sit and play (no scrubbing) it will play songs, but if I try to scrub to the end of a song, it crashes.
Hmm.. That's pretty interesting, I didn't try that. In any case, apple needs to do something fast, the number of Mac and PC users with this issue seems to be incrementing. The apple support forum for iTunes shows no solutions yet...

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by sdilley14
My iTunes crashes every time I open it and try to play a song. I can't listen to anything. Also, it checks all 2600 songs for gapless playback every time I open it. This REALLY sucks and I hope they get it fixed soon. I've never had any problems like this before.
I uninstalled OSS3D and it works fine now. It would play videos fine but crashed EVERY time I tried to play just one song. I did every repair and maintainence script imaginable and nothing worked. Uninstalled OSS3D and boom, music is back.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Alixandre  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by sdilley14
I uninstalled OSS3D and it works fine now. It would play videos fine but crashed EVERY time I tried to play just one song. I did every repair and maintainence script imaginable and nothing worked. Uninstalled OSS3D and boom, music is back.
Good!
I think ours is a different audio problem, since I've never heard of OSS3D... xD

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2006, 01:16 PM

I keep getting these messages on crash:

PID: 625
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xbcba9c82
Anybody know what this means?

PID: 632
Thread: 6

Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x305fb05f
( Last edited by Uisce; Sep 13, 2006 at 01:26 PM. )

Uisce

Naediel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 01:32 PM

Glad to know I'm not the only one getting these crashes.

I get those same messages.
-Dan

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2006, 02:19 PM

More:

PID: 642

Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xbc159712
PID: 656

Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x3e54aec3
I just keep sending them into Apple...

Uisce

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 04:27 PM

Came here to search for this problem specifically and here it is. I think...

every CD I burn the last few songs sound like a scratchy record, or skip, or don't play at all, depending on the player, itunes just crashes if I try to play one of the last songs from the CD it buned. I'm running 6.05 on Tiger iMac G5.

Wevah
Senior User
Sep 13, 2006, 11:50 PM

Those few crash log lines are useless without the backtrace of the crashed thread. (Not to be a smartass, or anything.)

FWIW, iTunes 7 hasn't crashed on me yet. :/
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2006, 01:07 AM

Ok, how can I get a backtrace? I posted a complete log for two crashes in this thread: http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...-7-released/6/

But I don't think they contain backtraces, and I can't decipher the codes anyaway.

Thanks,

Uisce

Wevah
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 01:49 AM

Oh, I hadn't seen those/that thread. Those'll have the full backtraces (not that people uninvolved with writing iTunes would be able to do anything with them, really, but hey...).

(All that the EXEC_BAD_ACCESS and KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS mean is that the application tried to access memory that didn't belong to it, but it doesn't show where or help find why...in case you're curious.)

I hope I don't come off as snarky or something; I'm tired and can't really tell very well.
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

adsomers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 05:04 AM

If iTunes is crashing, try removing plug-ins. Worked for me...

siMac
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 07:13 AM

Yeah, something fundamental has changed with this version of iTunes and very few plugins seem to have remained working. This is why it is common practice to distribute prerelease versions of software, especially where third party developers are involved. Unfortunately this is a practice that the iTunes team don't seem familiar with.

I am currently mourning the loss of Volume Logic, may its resurrection come quickly!
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2006, 09:18 AM

Not snarky, I'm just peeved my iTunes crashes now, but only when I start trying to scrub songs. Someone mentioned wanting to see a full report there, and then others were like no. Whatever.

This is on a new Mac, and it has no iTunes plug ins - the only thing I can think of would be Flip4Mac with Quicktime. Should I drag Flip4Mac to the trash?

Uisce

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2006, 09:51 AM

You know, in a related issue, I just ran across this:

In an Excel file, I tried to populate a field, and Excel crashed every time. Same bad access errors.

Maybe iTunes really hosed my system?

Uisce

cybergamer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 10:27 AM

Whoa! I just found a fix for this, at least on my computer. It was simple, and I should have thought of it sooner. I added iTunes to my APE (APplication Enhancer) master exclude list. I didn't have any APE utilities installed, but for some reason it seems to be what was killing itunes.

So try this and let me know if it fixes the issue for you! I'll keep you all posted on whether the issue happens again, but I can change tracks now! Yippie!

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2006, 10:45 AM

Ok, I don't think I have any Usanity stuff on my comp though...
( Last edited by Uisce; Sep 14, 2006 at 10:51 AM. )

Uisce

mikeinsd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 11:51 AM

not sure what all the fuss is about.. .I have had no problems whatsoever. Nada, none, no problems....

novicew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 12:11 PM

I've got the same problem wiht my iMac G5. Tried to Google but couldn't find any help. Hopefully Apple will fix this Soooon. btw. Is this bug PPC specific?

cybergamer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 12:31 PM

To clarify on what I did to solve this (NO issues...so far *crosses fingers*)...

- Go to System Preferences
- Look toward the bottom for a category called "Other". See if you have an icon named "Application Enhancer" (if you don't....this cant help you. sorry!)
- Click "Application Enhancer"
- From the two available tabs, choose "Master Exclude List"
- Using the [+] button at the bottom of this tab, add iTunes to this list

Let me know if this works for you!

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by mikeinsd
not sure what all the fuss is about.. .I have had no problems whatsoever. Nada, none, no problems....
Try reading the thread if you're that clueless.

Is this bug PPC specific?
No the problem is affecting both PPC and Intel computers. Mine is a new mini.

The only pref panes I have are for Flip4Mac and for my Logitec Mouse.

Uisce

rational.mystic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 07:33 PM

For those of you trying to run itunes 7 on windows XP the major problem resides in the fact that with the new release Apple is attempting to support very high end audio systems and is thus making very large baud rates availible. To those that have the hardware the sound will be incredible, for the rest of us the extra power behind our sound systems makes them sound like a demonis bunny is about to rip us to shreds.

To fix the problem open the Quicktime preferences (yes Quicktime now controls all playback for itunes) and select audio and set the rate and size lower. For me it was just lowering it one step, but for older or outdated systems it may require more.

Hope this helps

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2006, 12:25 AM

Uisce

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 11:27 PM

I need help reverting to iTunes 6.

Anybody know how to do this?

I am very frustrated with fiddling trying to get iTunes 7 to work. It keeps crashing when analyzing songs for gapless playback, a feature I have zero use for.

I just tried to visit the Apple Discussion boards on iTunes but they are shut down right now.

I have trashed all prefs files for itunes. Trashed iTunes 7. Try to run the 6.0.5 installer and it says "You cannot continue, there is nothing to install."

Huh?
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

novicew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
I need help reverting to iTunes 6.

Anybody know how to do this?

I am very frustrated with fiddling trying to get iTunes 7 to work. It keeps crashing when analyzing songs for gapless playback, a feature I have zero use for.

I just tried to visit the Apple Discussion boards on iTunes but they are shut down right now.

I have trashed all prefs files for itunes. Trashed iTunes 7. Try to run the 6.0.5 installer and it says "You cannot continue, there is nothing to install."

Huh?
I used Appzapper to remove iTunes 7. This won't delete your Music Library. You can download the iTunes 6.0.5 from Apple website.

pouvignon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 06:48 AM

im having even worse issues with the itunes update, yesterday i waqs offered updates for quicktime and itunes, i insatlled them both, restarted the computer and started to marvel at the wonder of itunes 7, that was until the program kept analysing the song gap thing over and over, this eventually stopped after i shut all other applications i was running (safari and limewire).

then i noticed something very odd, i reopened safari and all my bookmarks had dissapeared, all the history etc, in fact the preferences had reset themselves and it was like id never used the program? same thing with limewire, i had to run the setup again to get it running, same deal with skype, and when i looked into the HD lots of my files had dissapeared, but interestingly not from ones i had created and kept seperate from my 'home' folder. my desktop appearance had also changed, the screensaver replaced with the blue standard background, and the toolbar/dock was now at the bottom of the page, kind of default setting i guess?

then i began to panic, i opened iphoto (approx 3000 photos were in there) and goddmit they had all gone, it 'welcomed' me to iphoto, not good. i searched the HD and there was no trace in the Pictures folder where they all 'lived' (please excuse my complete lack of tech speak folks)

i restarted the computer again, and opened itunes, which (when i had restarted qfter the install of itunes7 had my tunes in, it did the annoyijng proceesing gap thing) was now empty, brand new if you like, so there went 7gb of tunes and videos! ARRGH!!!

can anyone shed any light on this, i notice from the discussion in the thread that lots of peeps are having trouble, but no-ones had this yet? can anyone help me please!!!?

one further bit of info is that the space on my HD did not increase even though i appear to have lost 7gb of music and whatever the photos amounted to?

it seems like the computer has reset to the factory settings, but things like m y login password (and accompanying picture) remain, as do all applications ive ever dowloaded, but its like theyve never been used?

ps i do have some photos and tunes backed up, but not since may!

pps sorry for the rambling first post...

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2006, 08:04 PM

Not sure what is going on, but your files are most likely still on the computer somewhere. Try searching in Finder for ".mp3" and for ".jpg" or ."tiff" and see what it finds.

Uisce

Jake_11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 10:40 PM

I have been working on a slideshow I need to have done for my friends wedding using iMovie. I have one song left to import into the slideshow and it is one I purchased on iTunes. For some reason, iMovie and iPhoto don't think my computer is authorized to play any song I purchased from iTunes, but iTunes plays them fine.
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB
MacBook 2.0Ghz, 2GB
iPhone 8GB

Jake_11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jake_11
I have been working on a slideshow I need to have done for my friends wedding using iMovie. I have one song left to import into the slideshow and it is one I purchased on iTunes. For some reason, iMovie and iPhoto don't think my computer is authorized to play any song I purchased from iTunes, but iTunes plays them fine.
nevermind, it was somehow related to quicktime. I didn't upgrade to quicktime 7 because I had quicktime 6 Pro, but apparently I needed to, works now.
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB
MacBook 2.0Ghz, 2GB
iPhone 8GB

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2006, 02:10 PM

So iTunes magically stopped crashing. I think it was a problem with cover art, because now that most of my songs are associated, iTunes is stable again...

Uisce

Forum Links
Forum Rules