Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Store Yorkdale (Toronto) - May 21 grand opening. Free T-shirt

Apple Store Yorkdale (Toronto) - May 21 grand opening. Free T-shirt
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 16, 2005, 12:12 PM

Apple Store Yorkdale

Grand Opening
Saturday, May 21
9:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

3401 Dufferin Street
Toronto, M6A 3A1

T-shirt Giveaway
The first 1500 people to visit the store receive a free Apple Commemorative T-shirt.

Contest
Enter the Grand Opening Contest to win a Digital Lifestyle Collection valued at $2985. The winner will receive a Canon PowerShot SD300 - $449, Canon ZR100 DV Camcorder - $549, Epson Stylus Photo R200 - $139, 4GB iPod mini - $249, 1.6 GHz 17” iMac - $1599. No purchase necessary. Submit your entry from 21 May through 30 June. See official rules and details.

No mention about $200 grab bags or anything. Do they always announce them? I'm not sure it's worth it to go just for a T-shirt, especially with a store as small as this one.

It might be worth it though to go anyway, since Apple is now offering free personal slaves:

brapper
Professional Poster
May 16, 2005, 01:59 PM

I maaaaay be home on that day...maaaaaaaybe I'll go to the store.

Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2005, 02:07 PM

Free t-shirt?!?!?!? I'm in
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 02:14 PM

I want the free human being. Maybe I should print out the web page just to ensure I get it.

Scifience
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 02:16 PM

Hmm...should I bother driving up from Cleveland, Ohio to go? I've been considering it for months now. :-/

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Scifience
Hmm...should I bother driving up from Cleveland, Ohio to go? I've been considering it for months now. :-/
That's an awfully long drive for this.

There are closer stores to you.

Scifience
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
That's an awfully long drive for this.

There are closer stores to you.
I realize that there are closer stores; I shop at them all the time. It's just that I've never been to a grand opening before, and I don't see any other locations that are at all close and opening soon.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 02:43 PM

No mention about $200 grab bags or anything. Do they always announce them? I'm not sure it's worth it to go just for a T-shirt, especially with a store as small as this one.
Grab bags are for flagship and high profile stores only. Most Apple Store openings don't have them.

ImpulseResponse

dreilly1
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 02:51 PM

Are there ever any discounts on the day that an Apple store opens? I'm contemplating getting a new iBook, and if I can get a discount then I'll get it when the Rochester, NY store opens....

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 03:00 PM

Meh. If it was a big cool store then maybe but it is tiny.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 03:04 PM

I realize that there are closer stores; I shop at them all the time. It's just that I've never been to a grand opening before, and I don't see any other locations that are at all close and opening soon.
Well, the good news is that Toronto is a much more interesting place than say Rochester, which is supposedly getting a store this summer.

OTOH, I live in Toronto, and I probably won't bother going to this opening either unless someone here can give me a good reason to. The small Apple stores really aren't all that interesting if you've been to other Apple stores already.

BTW, Rochester's store is supposedly 3600 sq. ft. You could always wait for that grand opening, and then take the ferry over from Rochester that day for a theatre show in Toronto or something.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 09:31 PM

I think I may go for the T SHIRT...

No Bags huh....?

Sux to be us...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 10:21 PM

No lucky bags... looks like I'll have to go twice well we'll see how much money I spend while in "The Big City" anyone wanna get together for coffee?

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2005, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
No lucky bags... looks like I'll have to go twice well we'll see how much money I spend while in "The Big City" anyone wanna get together for coffee?
You won't have to go far. The store is located directly across from the Second Cup.

I'm hoping to be there!

Jadey
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 01:02 PM

Well, I just moved to Toronto, so I might as well enjoy the perks. My boyfriend and I are going to the opening. Yay!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 01:41 PM

Openings are a lot of fun, you should go and make a it a day.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 02:45 PM

Small Apple Stores stink

"Frankly, after a couple of hours on a busy weekend, our store starts to smell because of the masses of bodies flocking in and out," one Apple employee said. "Some of the stores are just too crowded on the weekends."

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 02:56 PM

Oh I so love human beans.

-Owl

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 04:03 PM

Well, I've booked my train ticket... I leave this thursday and get back on the 25th...

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 04:04 PM

Screw it I am camping over the weekend. And I don't mean outside the store.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 04:27 PM

Aww... does this mean we can't go to a bear bar SWG?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 10:36 PM

So where are you staying? Note that Yorkdale Mall is a bit far from downtown, but luckily it's right on one of the subway lines if you're staying downtown somewhere.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 01:40 AM

I think I may bike there...

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 01:43 AM

Aww... does this mean we can't go to a bear bar SWG?
I think your **** outta luck on that one.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 04:10 AM

oh well, I'll have to have fun in Toronto without you.

And I'm staying... somewhere north of Toronto a bit... apparently north of down town... I dono... all I know is I get into the station, then hop a subway to some place that begins with an S... I wrote it down... and then I call my friend for a ride.. then i stay at his house for a few days then come back to the Peg... all quite simple... or something

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 07:39 AM

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by shabbasuraj
Heheh. I'm glad I didn't go this morning:

"Long line but many can't stay, including myself, because the store is too small and too full. Several hour wait for those at the back of the line."

&

"For all those still asking, no Lucky Bags, just free Yorkdale shirt on the way out of the store."

More pix

I'll go some other time. Maybe even tomorrow, since I want to get some new clothes soon anyway.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 12:25 PM

Well, I'm gonna leave in a bit to visit. I wish it had been open on Thursday when I was in Toronto with an actual purpose. Anyway, if you spot a hipcat in his German fedora, say hello.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 12:29 PM

So who's gonna admit to actually meeting Superchicken?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2005, 12:49 PM

OMFG these people are crazy. It's lined up all the way down the halls of the mall, out the doors, and along the outside of the mall for quite a distance.

Pix

Originally Posted by chris v
So who's gonna admit to actually meeting Superchicken?
Heh. One drawback of not going today is that I won't be able to snap a pic of SuperChicken and his pants' tie, whatever that is.

P.S. My 2.0 GHz iMac 20" is now in Toronto. w00t! However, it's not set to be delivered until Tuesday. I can't pick it up either cuz they're closed on weekends, even Saturdays.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 01:49 PM

OMFG these people are crazy. It's lined up all the way down the halls of the mall, out the doors, and along the outside of the mall for quite a distance.

Pix

Heh. One drawback of not going today is that I won't be able to snap a pic of SuperChicken and his pants' tie, whatever that is.

P.S. My 2.0 GHz iMac 20" is now in Toronto. w00t! However, it's not set to be delivered until Tuesday. I can't pick it up either cuz they're closed on weekends, even Saturdays.
The line for the store in Osaka was 3000+ people... overnight....

Not like I was number 180 or anything in line or anything...

Linky

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2005, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by MilkmanDan
Hmmm... Interesting pic.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 07:26 PM

Typical dweeb fest.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2005, 10:25 PM

I think I'll go tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be crazy busy. I don't think I'd like a stinky Apple Store.

But some of the earlier Apple stores are struggling to keep up with the company's new found success, due largely in part to the iPod. On most weekends, Apple stores located in highly trafficked shopping malls are barely able to accommodate the foot traffic of the purchase-happy patrons.

"Frankly, after a couple of hours on a busy weekend, our store starts to smell because of the masses of bodies flocking in and out," one Apple employee said. "Some of the stores are just too crowded on the weekends."

P.S. 176 pix of Yorkdale Apple Store.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2005, 03:31 PM

Greetings from the Yorkdale Apple Store. It's fairly small, but OK. Only a 5 minute wait today. Hot. Not yet smelly fortunately.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2005, 03:39 PM

C'mon, someone has to get a picture of Superchicken. He may never head to the big city again.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 05:09 PM

Well I'm gona be going into Toronto probably some time tomorrow... anyone wanna have coffee? We could meet at a Subway station...

Actually though I will post a picture later, someone form ehMac snapped a... somewhat decent photo of me when we were having lunch... and... they took several very unflattering photos.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2005, 07:31 PM

So a few things from my pilgrimage:

1) The iMac 23" is inevitable. The 20" (which I'm getting) is nice, but that 23" is absofrickin' gorgeous. (BTW, the 20" was either sold out or had just one left.)

2) A Mac mini with a 20" screen is painfully slow. It feels like there's no Quartz Extreme active. The mini's 32 MB RAM is simply far too little for Exposé.

3) Apple really needs a bigger Apple Store in Toronto. Hot crowded Apple Stores suck. Lack of a real software selection and selection of accessories sucks.

4) Yorkdale Mall is big but meh.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 09:21 PM

I agree that Apple needs a bigger store... that one was just too tiny... and considering how many people showed! That store could have easily been a flag ship for the number of people... that said I'm kinda glad it wasn't cause that woudl have meant I missed out on lucky bags! haha
And if there's one in the Eaton's Centre I'm totally gona do my best to be back.

By the way, anyone wanna get together for Coffee? I'm going to be going to Carbon Computing tomorrow (nothing better to do. So if you wanna meet me just let me know and we can work something out... that said my Powerbook's battery is about to die I'll have to re-charge in another room) But anywhere near a subway, or if anyone wanted to meet at Carbon... I'm gona upload a photo someone else took at the opening onto my Flickr account.

http://flickr.com/photos/44223133@N00/15182299/

If that doesn't scare you and you wanna go for coffee reply... that said I'm at 4% so... time to go charge.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2005, 10:10 PM

I would imagine that Carbon Computing is closed tomorrow, since it's Victoria day and all.

P.S. Carbon Computing is similar in size, but has much fewer computers on display. They've got a better software selection and 3rd party hardware selection though.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2005, 12:55 AM

Hmmm... but they're retail you think they'll be closed? That's frustrating... most of the malls will be open... right?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2005, 01:49 AM

Hmmm... but they're retail you think they'll be closed? That's frustrating... most of the malls will be open... right?
Wrong. Most are closed.
However, the Eaton Centre will be open.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2005, 03:57 PM

I posted a few pictures and a couple of video clips of the event on my site:

http://joltguy.com/yorkdale

Enjoy!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2005, 05:49 PM

OK... turns out I didn't even try to go to Carbon.... I just kinda... slept... and then I was going to try to go into down town Stoufville (I'm staying on the edge of town) well... I ended up going south instead of north... and... well... I kept thinking it was over the next hill for about an hour and a half... and... then I decided to find a pay phone and get a lift... well turns out... by the time I found a phone and then met my ride coming from Stoufville... I uhh... kinda had walked 15km
I got back her and my friend's mom just shook her head and surpressed laughter... my feet hurt a bit... walking that far in non-running shoes... not fun... fortunately iPods are great... and my battery is stil not dead... I'm trying to drain it and figure out how long I can have it go for, so far it's already gone over 4.6 hours... I'm thinking I'll hit just over 5... wow the mini's battery really doesn't do so well almost a year later... wonder how much the battery replacement cost is for Canadians...

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 11:42 PM

I ended up going south instead of north... and... well... I kept thinking it was over the next hill for about an hour and a half... ..

Vintage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules