Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > June 6 - New ibooks?

June 6 - New ibooks?
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2005, 03:29 AM

Do you think there will be new ibook on June 6?

Should I wait until then to see if any thing does come out of it?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2005, 03:39 AM

Yes. Always wait.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 03:54 AM

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Yes. Always wait.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 10:29 AM

Excellent. I'm looking at buying a new iBook before fall.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 11:57 AM

Yeah, I think, that sometime in the future, iBooks will be updated, and I also predict that it will go dark tonight.

Well Apple's front page has one of the bottom links to WWDC, with a SJ Keynote on Monday 6th.
So 'Something Apple This Way Comes'.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Yes. Always wait.
That's right. If you wait just another 6-8 months, you'll get more for less money...

-t

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2005, 02:29 PM

I've been on hold for almost 3 months now... I'm starting to think I should have purchased at the time. By the time the iBook comes out... I'll be looking at the powerbook.

My rule: Get money in order --> wait for an upgrade --> buy (and don't looke back)

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 04:17 PM

Buy and then pray for the best.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2005, 04:25 PM

Why the June 6 date?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 04:32 PM

Stevenote at WWDC

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2005, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice
Stevenote at WWDC
IIRC, Apple consumer hardware was NEVER introduced at WWDC.

-t

Mac Write
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777

-t
iMac, iSight, just off the top of my head.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Write
iMac, iSight, just off the top of my head.
Which iMac ? I honestly don't recall.

-t

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2005, 05:58 PM

The new iBooks might offer features that will some how give developers a nice something? I dono... but I could see it happening just before... or maybe Steve wants to intro new PowerBooks or... I dono... these recent PowerBooks had very modest speed gains so we might see a dual core version or something, in which case we could see speed bumpted iBooks... we also might see a new sub iBook... either iBook mini, iNote, iSomething...

galarneau
Senior User
May 23, 2005, 07:47 PM

There is no doubting that the iBook has missed it's regular update, so I have a feeling that something more than a speed bump is in the works. Maybe just a new case design, but with Apple, who knows what they have cooking.

If you absolutely HAVE to have it, then get it. If you just really WANT it now, then wait. Even if it's just a minor speedbump update, it's always best to buy right AFTER new models come out. You can usually pick up the old model for quite a bit cheaper if the new model doesn't suck you in.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 07:54 PM

i think the ibook will come out with a G5, just wait...

17 years.
iamwhor3hay

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2005, 08:34 PM

Which iMac ? I honestly don't recall.

-t
The original iMac? not exactly during the WWDC... but close..May/98

James L
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 08:46 PM

WWDC isn't about consumer versus pro products, it is about developers.

It is an event to keep developers current on Mac hardware, software, etc. If a new product is designed and released by Apple that requires new information be distributed to the developers, then WWDC is an appropriate place to do so.

Just because SJ is on stage doesn't make it an event for everything to be updated. It isn't Macworld, it isn't Mac Expo Paris, etc.

Each year Apple releases products at NAB focusing on that industry. New software such as Motion, new storage arrays, new Final Cut, etc. An iBook announcement would be completely out of place at this event.

If all you are expecting is a bump to the current architecture of the iBook, then there is no need to waste time at a developer conference announcing it.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 10:10 PM

They might announce them to make it clear that they're committed to core video and core image. Unless I"m mistaken (very possible) the current iBooks aren't quite up to par.

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2005, 10:32 PM

I get so ANGRY with each new Apple product introduction because I feel I am falling further behind with my old, orange, OS 9 imac and I feel I'm being FORCED to spend money to just stay in place.

It is like a drug dealer who keeps cutting the potency of his product so to get the same high you expect you have to pay increasinly more.

It makes me very angry. Then, many of you just play the game and pay the pusher to further string us all out and then he gets the idea you are happiest when you are giving him your money on a regular basis.

Oh big daddy, let me give you my hard earned money because I love the little magic tricks you can produce.
President Bush, Get Out Of Iraq Now!

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 10:47 PM

Apple admitted last year that they would have introduced the iMac G5 at WWDC if they hadn't bungled the supply of iMac G4s, so it's not out of the question to see a consumer Mac introduced at WWDC.

I'm hoping they intro something cheap enough that they can afford to give one to everyone in the audience, though. I'm all about the free stuff.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eynstyn
I get so ANGRY with each new Apple product introduction because I feel I am falling further behind with my old, orange, OS 9 imac and I feel I'm being FORCED to spend money to just stay in place.
No one's forcing you to upgrade. If your OS 9 iMac is doing the job for you, keep using it. You're just falling victim to Apple's excellent marketing - they make you really want something you probably don't really need.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 10:52 PM

Eynstyn: I hear what you're saying, but unfortunately (or fortunately depends on how you look at it) that's the world of technology. To be fair, it's the same with PC's, digital cameras, etc. Pretty much all hi-tech stuff.
( Last edited by TheIceMan; May 23, 2005 at 11:00 PM. )

TailsToo
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 11:28 PM

It is like a drug dealer who keeps cutting the potency of his product so to get the same high you expect you have to pay increasinly more.

It makes me very angry. Then, many of you just play the game and pay the pusher to further string us all out and then he gets the idea you are happiest when you are giving him your money on a regular basis.

Oh big daddy, let me give you my hard earned money because I love the little magic tricks you can produce.

What is there in the tech world that is not like this? My DVD player that's 2 years old is not progressive scan, there are new cell phones with more features, my Palm T3 has been passed by... I'm just happy with what I have, and if something comes out that I feel I really need, then I'll take the plunge.

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2005, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Oneota
No one's forcing you to upgrade. If your OS 9 iMac is doing the job for you, keep using it. You're just falling victim to Apple's excellent marketing - they make you really want something you probably don't really need.
If you buy a car that can travel all the nations' highways how would you feel if 5 or 6 years from now you are unable to drive on certain roads unless you increase your car's horsepower?

No one would be forcing you upgrade. If your 1999 Suzuki Samurai is doing the job for you, keep using it.

Except you bought your car believing what you said. If it is working for you just keep using it. Except the freedom to do what you reasonably expect to be able to do is constantly changing.

Free upgrades should be made to accommodate increased power demands. HD space is my responsibility, but unless the mfgs create a version that will accommodate my set-up then the software makers should issue free ram upgrades.

The business model the computer manufacturers adopted only works because we (you AND I) go along with it. And the business model they use is based on the premise that sufficient numbers of you (and I) have so much disposable income and such a hunger for neat new toys that we will spend $XXX every year to get it any number of these new toys.

Well, I spent my $1,000 +/- and I paid extra for my printer and a few other peripherals and software. Now I expect the thing to continue to provide me access to all the roads I have previously travelled (which doesn't happen as software updates make previous versions unsupported) as well as having access to any new roads that open up in the future.

But I guess I have unrealistic expectations. Oneota, your idea is the same as mine was and believe me that idea isn't realistic. The only reason you think it is is because you are willing and able to pay the piper.

Just remember that every time you upgrade. Someone predicted your purchase. We all dance to THEIR tune.

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2005, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by TailsToo
What is there in the tech world that is not like this? My DVD player that's 2 years old is not progressive scan, there are new cell phones with more features, my Palm T3 has been passed by... I'm just happy with what I have, and if something comes out that I feel I really need, then I'll take the plunge.
In the 21st Century world of electronics you buy a timed ticket. It is only good for a certain length of time. Yes, I concede that eventually new technological advances make you want to be able to enjoy the newest features and benefits, but also SOME electronic things actually become obsolete without your having any say in the matter.

Just wait til you get tired of their racket. Until then keep on spendin.

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2005, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan
Eynstyn: I hear what you're saying, but unfortunately (or fortunately depends on how you look at it) that's the world of technology. To be fair, it's the same with PC's, digital cameras, etc. Pretty much all hi-tech stuff.
Thanks for understanding. It does mean something to me that you took a moment to let me know I'm not completely whacked.

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2005, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
The new iSomething...
Fixed!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2005, 01:25 AM

I don't think there is much you can do to an iBook that won't make it better than the Powerbooks. I think they are going to refresh the entire portable line at once. Otherwise they will make the 12" Powerbook completely uselesss compared to an iBook.

I'm hoping they end up making a subnotebook. Powewrbooks for the pros, iBooks for the consumers and a new Subnotebook to compliment the Mini.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Il Duce
Forum Regular
May 24, 2005, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by ort888
I don't think there is much you can do to an iBook that won't make it better than the Powerbooks. I think they are going to refresh the entire portable line at once. Otherwise they will make the 12" Powerbook completely uselesss compared to an iBook.

I'm hoping they end up making a subnotebook. Powewrbooks for the pros, iBooks for the consumers and a new Subnotebook to compliment the Mini.
Normally I would agree, but if you take a look at the recent iMac update, it makes things a little more interesting (the iMac is essentially a low end powermac with more ram and a screen for less cash). The iBook line has been neutered for a long time due to lackluster powerbook performance. I am hoping that the iMac update means a decent power boost for the next rev powermacs, and I would love to see the ibook follow suit.

High end at 1.5 g4 with 512 ram and a video card boost (nvidia 5200 almost definitely, but I'd love to see a 9600). Hopefully there will be a superdrive option for the 12, and we are definitely due for a new case design.

Or maybe I should put my crack pipe away for today.
The Duke

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 24, 2005, 06:16 PM

If you buy a car that can travel all the nations' highways how would you feel if 5 or 6 years from now you are unable to drive on certain roads unless you increase your car's horsepower?

No one would be forcing you upgrade. If your 1999 Suzuki Samurai is doing the job for you, keep using it.

Except you bought your car believing what you said. If it is working for you just keep using it. Except the freedom to do what you reasonably expect to be able to do is constantly changing.

Free upgrades should be made to accommodate increased power demands. HD space is my responsibility, but unless the mfgs create a version that will accommodate my set-up then the software makers should issue free ram upgrades.

The business model the computer manufacturers adopted only works because we (you AND I) go along with it. And the business model they use is based on the premise that sufficient numbers of you (and I) have so much disposable income and such a hunger for neat new toys that we will spend $XXX every year to get it any number of these new toys.

Well, I spent my $1,000 +/- and I paid extra for my printer and a few other peripherals and software. Now I expect the thing to continue to provide me access to all the roads I have previously travelled (which doesn't happen as software updates make previous versions unsupported) as well as having access to any new roads that open up in the future.

But I guess I have unrealistic expectations. Oneota, your idea is the same as mine was and believe me that idea isn't realistic. The only reason you think it is is because you are willing and able to pay the piper.

Just remember that every time you upgrade. Someone predicted your purchase. We all dance to THEIR tune.
Your metaphor doesn't really work, unfortunately - cars and computers are too dissimilar to make a good comparison.

But even if that weren't the case, I would disagree. You stated that your iMac is running Mac OS 9, so you haven't upgraded your operating system in quite a long time. Even if your iMac is a tray-loader, it'll run at least Mac OS X 10.2 just fine, and would probably even handle 10.3 provided it has enough RAM.

Let's put that aside for the moment, though, and go into what you perceive to be Apple's responsibility to you. You seemed to be saying that the fact that you've given Apple ~$1K obligates them to provide you with hardware (or at least upgrades to your existing hardware to make it) capable of running the newest software releases for an indeterminate length of time. Where is it written that Apple has this obligation? What other business does this?

You purchased a machine capable of running the operating system and application software loaded on the hard drive at the time you purchased the machine. That's it. The fact that Apple and other 3rd party vendors have released new software in the meantime does nothing to further Apple's (or anyone else's) obligation to you.

Has the software on your hard drive ceased to function simply because there are newer versions out? The only thing I can think of that even comes close is Quicken dropping online support from some of the older versions, but otherwise, everything should be 100% as functional as when you bought it. If you want the *additional* functionality delivered by newer software, then guess what? You've gotta pay for it. And if your hardware isn't up to the task, well...too bad. Apple isn't in the business of making software for Quadras anymore, either.

dialo
Senior User
May 24, 2005, 06:28 PM

-t
Actually, new hardware usually is announced at WWDC: G4, G5, original imac (right?), at least one powerbook update
( Last edited by dialo; May 24, 2005 at 06:40 PM. )

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 24, 2005, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by dialo
Actually, new hardware usually is announced at WWDC: G4, G5, original imac (right?), at least one powerbook update
To be fair, turtle777 did specify "consumer" hardware (iMacs, iBooks, etc), but even that's not quite accurate. While I don't think the original iMac was introduced at a WWDC, Apple did say that they would have introduced the iMac G5 at WWDC if they hadn't bungled their iMac G4 inventories (I'm getting the oddest feeling of déjà vu!).

dialo
Senior User
May 24, 2005, 07:05 PM

While I don't think the original iMac was introduced at a WWDC
You're right. One week before WWDC 1998

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2005, 07:08 PM

To be fair, turtle777 did specify "consumer" hardware (iMacs, iBooks, etc), but even that's not quite accurate. While I don't think the original iMac was introduced at a WWDC, Apple did say that they would have introduced the iMac G5 at WWDC if they hadn't bungled their iMac G4 inventories (I'm getting the oddest feeling of déjà vu!).
Ok, so factually, my comment is still correct.
SO far (= until now), Apple has never introduced consumer hardware directly at a WWDC.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules