Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Road Runner & Macs: easy?

Road Runner & Macs: easy?
bohdanz
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2006, 09:29 PM

Now that Time Warner has taken over Adelphia, I've received a $19.99 offer for
Road Runner service for a year.

That part I like. (AT&T won't lower my long time $49.99/month price for DSL.)

But I am not sure how Road Runner plays along with Macs.
Please let me know if you've had success. And does Time Warner provide install help or refuse to believe Mac exist.

Thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 14, 2006, 10:37 PM

1. Connect cable modem to cable. Connect power too.

2. Connect Mac's ethernet port to cable modem's ethernet port.

3. Enjoy.

It really is that simple. You don't need any help except for the possible additional chunk of TV cable to wherever you want to put the modem.

Note that T-W has a habit of using VERY small print and very small-print tactics. That $19.99 a month offer will expire exactly on time, and unless you can take advantage of a new promotion, you're, as they say, "hosed."

Also note that you don't always get the best deal on AT&T DSL over the phone. Look at their web site-I managed to get their 6Mbps package for about the same price as the 1.5Mbps package by committing to a contract (I ain't movin'!) and doing so within my renewal window. Shop and save, as they say!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bohdanz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2006, 01:34 PM

If I use airport, I assume I'd plug it into the Road Runner and then are the settings easy?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 02:06 PM

Yes, you really can't do anything wrong. Just plug the propper cables in the logical flow of information from the wall to your Airport station. Just like plugging in a DVD player and a TV, for example.

Also, Roadrunner has their internet software available for Mac, though it's very buggy and badly designed. I wouldn't recommend using Roadrunner's software even on Windows though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules