Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple issues recall for AC wall plug adapters over electric shock risk

Apple issues recall for AC wall plug adapters over electric shock risk
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 28, 2016, 12:23 PM

Apple has issued notice for a voluntary recall of some AC adapters used outside the United States, for safety concerns. AC wall plug adapters designed for use in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, continental Europe, New Zealand, and South Korea are said by the company to, in "very rare cases," break and "create a risk of electrical shock if touched," with Apple offering a newer, redesigned wall plug in exchange for faulty versions.

The two-prong wall plug adapters in question were shipped with Macs and some iOS devices between 2003 and 2015, and were also included in the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit. Affected adapters have either four, five, or no characters on the inside slot of the adapter, while redesigned adapters bear a three-letter regional code instead. Other adapters, including those sold in Canada, China, Hong Kong, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States, are not affected.

Code placements inside adapters, showing which need to be recalled
Code placements inside adapters, showing which need to be recalled

Under the process, customers are advised to either contact Apple Support directly, or visit an Apple Store or an Authorized Apple Service Provider for an exchange, with the serial number for affected devices also required for verification. World Travel Adapter Kit owners can go through the same process for a replacement.

Apple states it is aware of 12 incidents worldwide involving the faulty adapters.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jan 28, 2016 at 12:24 PM. )

Stuke
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2016, 08:23 PM

Checked my adapters...faulty according to the voluntary Apple Recall webpage. Followed instructions to set Genius appointment. Entered details in the appointment form. Received confirmation of appointment. Appeared in store. Apple Genius dude confirmed my three faulty adapters. Then, he had to order the replacements and tell me to come back in 5-6 days! What's the point? He had to look up the webpage I used to follow the recall instructions, then read how to identify faulty parts, then order them. Hey Apple, how about trusting your users and stocking the stores with replacement parts...at least for the first few weeks! What a colossal waste of my time.
--
Stuke

Forum Links
Forum Rules