Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CNN: The new rummor mill!

CNN: The new rummor mill!
MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 08:13 AM

So CNN has a rumor article about a new iPod coming out. Their source? A Mac rumor site. Go figure. What next?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/1...eut/index.html

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
What next?
The geek army will invade the Mothership because they heard the rumor of the existence of WMS (Weapons of Mass Storage)?

(edit: typo)
( Last edited by badidea; Oct 13, 2004 at 08:38 AM. )

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 08:28 AM

soo desu ka.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 08:36 AM

I only believe MOSR.

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 08:41 AM

I only believe Time Magazine articles released a day or so earily.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 09:41 AM

I still don't think we'll ever see video and photo capability built into an iPod. The screen is too small to be useful for these things, and making it bigger will compromise the device's portability.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if someone created a third-party attachment with a larger screen, which could then be used to play video and use pictures stored on the hard drive. A cheap Linux box can already do this, so the only part left to do is miniaturizing the thing.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
I only believe MOSR.
I lawled!!

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 12:15 PM

CNN has turned into a tabloid news rag. Their blind need to stay hip and ahead of things has forced them to print stuff like this.

With that said I see this color iPod being released within the next month along with the iPod Teeny-Weeny (flash based) and a $199 price on the mini.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I still don't think we'll ever see video and photo capability built into an iPod.
Of course we will. Even if Steve doesn't want it, to maintain marketshare he'll have to. Within a year every hard drive based mp3 player on the PC side will have video/photo capabilities. Do you really want to see the iPod languish in sales just so you can keep it an mP3 player? Get real.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 12:20 PM

CNN has to fill there 24/7 news coverage somehow.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Evan_11:
Of course we will. Even if Steve doesn't want it, to maintain marketshare he'll have to. Within a year every hard drive based mp3 player on the PC side will have video/photo capabilities. Do you really want to see the iPod languish in sales just so you can keep it an mP3 player? Get real.
even though there is really no point for a color screen on a music player?

The Album art is cool but seriously what functionality could you gain for music? iTunes labels - color label your songs?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Evan_11:
Of course we will. Even if Steve doesn't want it, to maintain marketshare he'll have to. Within a year every hard drive based mp3 player on the PC side will have video/photo capabilities.
I very much doubt that. Even if they have the capabilities, it won't make enough of a difference, because people will see just how unsuited devices this small really are for the purpose. Either that, or they'll be so large that they won't be easily portable, which will hurt sales.

Several "portable media centers", in fact, already have this capability, and yet they have failed to take off like wildfire, as you would suggest. Why do you think this is? I can tell you why: because they don't work. Even Apple cannot hope to "make" it work unless it is willing to increase the size of the iPod device itself, and Steve won't do that.
Do you really want to see the iPod languish in sales just so you can keep it an mP3 player? Get real.
No. I want to keep it an mp3 player so it won't languish in sales.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
What next?
Thursday.
Coming up tomorrow to a day near you !

-t

Y3a
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 12:54 PM

using an iPod as a video hard drive would be good idea, or storage for high quality photos, but they are too slow for good Video, and paper film is still better for most technically demanding jobs like close-up's with depth, and time lapse.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Y3a:
using an iPod as a video hard drive would be good idea, or storage for high quality photos, but they are too slow for good Video, and paper film is still better for most technically demanding jobs like close-up's with depth, and time lapse.
That's what I'm talking about with the third-party attachment. To do decent video or photos you'll need a bigger screen anyway, so why not make a machine which can use the iPod as its hard drive?

The other advantage to a third-party attachment, by the way, is that it could be used with older iPods (since, after all, you're only using the iPod as a hard drive), thus giving you increased capability without having to buy a completely new device.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2004, 01:29 PM

Our news had something on yesterday about it...

VERY sad when they are commenting on rumors... just goes to show you how desperate some of these reporters can get.

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
I only believe MOSR.
What, is that "Man Of Steal Rumors" or "MacOSRumors"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2004, 06:05 PM

I initially scoffed, but a color iPod that can sync with your iPhoto library in the same way that it syncs with iTunes could be very cool, especially if it could output them to a TV (I probably wouldn't use that feature, but a lot of people would). I really like the idea of being able to carry all of my photos around.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=231178

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2004, 09:23 PM

I'd rather have basic music functionality on this music device, such as the ability to record, than whiz-bang features like a color screen and video playback.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by storer:
What, is that "Man Of Steal Rumors" or "MacOSRumors"

My only rumor is that I guarantee you the next iPod is a G5...

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 06:13 AM

G5 iPod. I want one with wireless.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2004, 08:11 AM

Whatever happened to "Home" on the iPod?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules